The Official Axe Cordwood Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say start a new thread for this year for everyone's efforts. Perhaps we could just call it the Official - Axe Cordwood Challenge Thread so we can keep posting in it so the thread count grows and we can keep posting it regardless of the year. Thoughts?
I would ask a friendly mod to use their superpowers for good instead of evil and just change the title of this thread.

I would ask a friendly mod to use their superpowers for good instead of evil and just change the title of this thread.

I like the idea too, especially since this thread has gotten good participation already. No superpowers required, I'm a mod on another forum, it's just just a few clicks and keystrokes is all...

I don't know any of the mods. @svk used to be a mod here, perhaps he has a connection?

The day was January 1st. The weather, mild and sunny. With most of the country suffering from the brown bag flu, my number was called. With a Plumb on my shoulder, I headed to the woods.

Axe Cordwood Challenge 2020.

First drop. Boy, look at that notch, I haven't missed a beat. ;)

IMG_20200101_113429584.jpg

Nevertheless, the tree surrendered.

IMG_20200101_114950760.jpg

As if a gift from the heavens, a green Poplar with a hollow base.

IMG_20200101_120424108.jpg

The wood fairies blessed me

IMG_20200101_121244554_HDR.jpg

And a pile appeared.

IMG_20200101_122309301.jpg

Silly White Oak.

Impressive bend.

IMG_20200101_154824960.jpg

Now bend to my will!

IMG_20200101_155951943.jpg

Feeling adequately accomplished and tired, I took a rest on one of my fine logs, admired God's beautiful serenity and scenery and headed back in.

Gonna be a good year.

The day was January 1st. The weather, mild and sunny. With most of the country suffering from the brown bag flu, my number was called. With a Plumb on my shoulder, I headed to the woods.

Axe Cordwood Challenge 2020.
Boys, nobody stands a chance against this machine... glad he's on our team! :numberone:

Boys, nobody stands a chance against this machine... glad he's on our team! :numberone:

From the time that was cut til now, I've hurt my off hand temporarily. Completely unrelated to axes of course. So I'm on the injured reserve right now. :)

I'll probably do the handle challenge since that's more my speed right now.

This year I have some different axes to play with and I won't be chopping in the rain or below freezing, or well below freezing as was the case last year.

Nice, leisurely pace. :havingarest:

Did the handle challenge. I had a head that's waiting on a new handle anyway.

I chose to use no tools at all but instead use the axe head itself. A way to simulate a true on the spot scenario. The head has an aggressive profile and was sharpened the night before so it lends itself to this more than some other axes. I can't foresee a situation where I would need this but it was neat challenge all the same.

Pro tip: wear a glove when it's cold outside and you're gonna hold a piece of steel for an extended period of time. In case you're an idiot, not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. ;)

The head and the piece I chopped out.

IMG_20200116_171126853.jpg

Peeled that then I shaved it down for the head.

IMG_20200116_172901386.jpg

Next I took it over the shop vice built for fitting axe heads.

IMG_20200116_173433920_HDR.jpg

Look at that fit.

IMG_20200116_173537064.jpg

No problem, I'll just shave a makeshift wedge. At this point the head would already stay on for some light tapping, choked up, so it was already an improvement.

IMG_20200116_173553153.jpg

IMG_20200116_173903158.jpg

Did one piece, both ends and then started on the next piece when it came off.

Took the axe head and lightly split the end of the handle, then I took two of the thicker shavings from the handle and used them as wedges.

IMG_20200116_174513150.jpg

Banged that in then finished chopping the second piece and did a third piece. All small pieces and tame one handed swings but it did stay on

IMG_20200116_175140945.jpg

Fun, little challenge.

Head is still on, gonna chop it with it soon but I don't expect it to last long. Then I'll just put a regular handle on.

Finally got a start today, but it got cut short after my wife got called in to work...

One small tree felled with an axe I restored for my boss.... it's a little unwieldy, 4.5 pounder on a 35" stick. I really don't like long handles, and it shows in my accuracy.

w2i7bJ4.jpg

Nice.

If I use nothing but a 36 I don't even think of it. If I switch between them the 36 feels weird. I can pick up a 25-28 right off a 36 but not the other way around. Also with felling I think it's a compromise even if you're used to it.

The weather has been identical to last year. It's either rain, break up, or below freezing. Mostly below freezing, which is the lesser of the evils.

Little start. This is separate from the logs I cut.

IMG_20200121_1638308521.jpg

Little souvenir.

IMG_20200121_163837532_HDR.jpg

I'm going to bring up some logs near the house so I can chop a little or go out to the woods depending on time and weather.

The weather has been identical to last year. It's either rain, break up, or below freezing. Mostly below freezing, which is the lesser of the evils.

Little start. This is separate from the logs I cut.

View attachment 791145

Little souvenir.

View attachment 791146

I'm going to bring up some logs near the house so I can chop a little or go out to the woods depending on time and weather.
Fox or coyote? Tough to tell scale from a pic

Fox or coyote? Tough to tell scale from a pic

Its small. Neither are super common in my specific area. I'd guess a coon but I didn't look it over too hard. Coons and opposums are popular here.

Doing some downed and dead chopping.

Little bit of variety already. Dry beech, dry red oak, no fun. Small stuff, time consuming. Bucked up the fresh poplar from the other day, dream.

Didn't get pictures of all my piles.

IMG_20200127_124205254.jpg

Other pile is nearly identical to this one. Then got a pile of beech and it's much smaller.

IMG_20200127_112210751.jpg

Probably a 1/3 of a rick, maybe a 1/2, all together. Satisfied for axe work. For saw work I'd have to fire myself. :)

Back