The official CT Autumn GTG (07 November 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paragon Builder

AS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Date: Saturday, 07 November 2015
Time: Sunrise to Sunset (or so)
Place: 502 Plain Hill Rd., Norwich Connecticut 06360

As mentioned in this gauging interest thread (http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ct-gtg.283668/ ) Mels and I are hosting what appears to be a first-ever “official” Connecticut Autumn GTG at my Home in Norwich.

Nice cooler seasonal weather should add to a really good relaxing time, and what better way to say so long to the dog-days of Summer?

We’ll have Coffee (hi and lo-test) ready for the early crowd, well, OK we’ll have coffee on throughout the day. Simple burgers for lunch, though you’re welcome to bring some chow “potluck-style” if you have a killer recipe you just gotta share. Mels wife Cindy will have a big ol kettle of her renowned chili and a sheet of cornbread waiting for us at the end of the day so we don’t go Home hungry. We’ll have plenty of good old-fashioned H2O to quench your thirst, BYOB if you have another preference.

We will have porta-poopers on site to accommodate the inevitable, a relatively well-equipped shop to support your mechanical needs and compressed air for saw clean-up when you’re done. We’ll have a fire-pit burning to take the edge off too if it’s cooler that day.

Please bring your own fuel mix (though we’ll have ours, it’s probably best if you stick with what you normally run) and bar oil. If you have any special tools or stuff, please bring ‘em too.

While there’ll be plenty of logs to sit on, if you have a folding chair that’s more comfortable by all means bring it. Heck, bring two so the guy next to you who forgot his will have one to use and thank you for.

As this is our first time hosting an event like this, and I’ve only been to one myself so far, please feel free to either post up or PM me or mels with suggestions or ideas from your own GTG experiences. We want this to be something that goes off well enough that folks’ll want to come back, but at the end of the day it’s really about just getting together and having a good time. “

I think it would be a great idea to have about 1/2 hr of "timed cut" video in some hardwood of about 20" (maybe around 11:00)

Each saw gets to make 2 cuts, keeping the bar level for consistency.

Everyone always asks how does this cut or that cut, this would give them some idea. ID each saw, stock or ported.

I think it would be a great idea to have about 1/2 hr of "timed cut" video in some hardwood of about 20" (maybe around 11:00)

Each saw gets to make 2 cuts, keeping the bar level for consistency.

Everyone always asks how does this cut or that cut, this would give them some idea. ID each saw, stock or ported.
That's a great idea Mike! I'll have to set aside some choice logs for that.
We will need a good video camera for that. Maybe a couple from different angles would be good. Just to make sure we don't lose any video. [emoji106]

Thanks,

I hate to suggest Tulip, because it is relatively soft, but those trunks are likely the most straight & uniform you will find, and in places, there are lots of them. It would likely be the most consistent wood available in quantity.

But if you can find straight grain Ash trunks, that would give the saws a good workout. The key is to avoid knots, as it really changes saw performance.

I'm not even sure what tulip is? I thought it was a flower I buy for my wife [emoji23]. I've got some good size pretty straight 15' logs now. Some oak and maybe some ash. Gotta dig through the pile when I get my machine back home....

Tulip AKA Yellow Poplar. The tree & bark look almost just like Ash, but the leaf is shaped like a tulip. The have popped up like an invasive species in a lot of places around here, and they grow like weeds, straight & tall. It is actually a Magnolia tree, and has yellow flowers in the spring, you would not notice them unless you cut one down.

Have to see how schedule works out, but that aint too bad of a ride. I take the family to Quassay Water park every summer and we allways take the ferry to New Haven then drive (45 min) to there.

Right on! Thanks for the sticky, Steve.

Here's a real quick vid of the Galloway waking up from hibernation not too long ago:

Plan is to have that belted up to an old tilt-table wood saw for a little "technology reality check". Plus they just sound good chugging away in the background... ;)

The older tulip trees can be pretty big. I've got one that I need to get rid of and its probably 30" dbh. And it's gotta be almost 40 years old. It's a softer wood, but very straight.

I'm looking forward to this.

I'm definitely interested in attending this GTG since I'm so close, just have to see if my wife is working that weekend. I've never been to a GTG before, but have been lurking on this site for about 3 years so it'll be great to meet the people behind the posts that taught me so much about wood heating and chainsaws! I only have 1 saw so I hope I don't catch CAD...but feel free to give me all your reasons for having multiple saws so I can pass them onto the wife. :innocent:

Latest posts

Back