The ol frenchy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so, i mostly avoided the french prussic (VT) because that tree climbing companion said that if not tied exactly right it can be deadly, which didnt make it too apealing. but lately i have wanted a knot that can grab and let go really easily, which led to me trying the VT today for the first time. but it didnt go well. i tied and re-tied the knot on the ground several times to make sure it was correct. then i put my weight on it and it grabbed. but i tried advancing it with my pulley and it loosed so that when i put my weight back on i fell on my back! luckily i was in a graveyard so the only person laughing at me was bonsey jonsey. I re-tied it again and tried a few more times. i noticed that the top of the knot kept falling down into more crossovers. So, instead of 4 turns on top, there would be only 3 but more crosses after advancing. Needless to say i didnt climb on it because i wanted some advice before i try anything like that. Any advice? Should i make the whole thing smaller/bigger? Take out the pulley? Use different cord (using 8mm)? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

I don't know good a FP would work on a 12 strand rope like that Tru- Blu. The way you have the FP tied, it needs to be shortened up quite a bit. No time for a pic, got to head over to the inlaws and chow down and sleep the rest of the afternoon.

Larry

Back