The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers for the details. needs another fifty cc to be rightly included in this thread!

Another "Oldie"

Here are some pictures of a gear drive Homelite I recently picked up. It's a good runner and just needs a decent chain before I take it to the woods......Bob

PS....I'm going to have to learn how to get the picture into the message!

Went out to the shop after work yesterday. Grabbed the big Homie and tossed it on the bench. Pulled spark plug and it was a fairly newer plug with no oily crap on it. Cleaned it off and checked to see if I had spark. Nice big fat blue spark... good deal.

Dumped some fuel in the tank and let it sit awhile... 2 beers worth of sittin'. swished it around the tank and then dumped that out.

Dumped in fresh premix... and primed the carby...

5th pull... came to life. Then died. Pulled again... roared to life and kept runnin'. Smoked like a mo-fo until the cylinder and crankcase cleared itself out. Kept some revs in 'er... and she purrs like a kitten. Idles fine and will be ready to cut once i find a chain for it.

I wanna switch over to .404 since it is waaayyyy easier to come by than 1/2". So my next step is to clean 'er up. I will rebuild that carb soon. But she is runnin', and that is good.:)

Gary

Awwwwww, sorry I missed that thread. Great collector saw. I am looking for a gear drive saw too, but no luck so far.
I noticed Andy WAS excited about that new girlfriend of yours ...so watch out :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

100_0473.jpg

The Solo Rex Super was also a great saw. It is 8.6 cu.in. 142cc.
The one on the right is one of mine. The one on the left is a solo 70D it is mine also.

Last edited:
ain't no 12 step addiction program

There might be one in here?? I have been moving a few saws. I have a few good old big ones!!

100_0596.jpg

That is going to Help Helsel. He has got it bad..man I feel for his wife.
After running Als big 2100, I want a big saw to play with on some big logs. I have a sycamore that I would love to chunk up with an old monster saw.

100_0473.jpg

The Solo Rex Super was also a great saw. It is 8.6 cu.in. 142cc.
The one on the right is one of mine. The one on the left is a solo 70D it is mine also.

these solo's look really nice, Helsel, almost like new ?????? I have 3 solo REX, but all 125 cc. Here's one of the bunch

attachment.php

Interesting fact about these rexes is that there's no decomp, and starting them is a real tricky challenge as the saw tends to kicks
back as a mule :bang:

Please stop posting those pics; my eyes hurt from all those pruuuuuuty saws :cheers: :cheers:

Ditto! - Thanks alot guys! Just when I think I have my addiction under control, I see your posts, especially those last two Homies - they are exquisite! How am I going to break the news to my wife (that I need another one)?

Latest posts

Back