The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never operated a saw with a bar longer than 30". Really would like to try a saw as in that pic :greenchainsaw:

You or anyone else for that matter is Welcome to stop by and run a Dolmar with a big ole bar... Say 143mx wearin a 30" or a 166 wearin a 50" or 72"

Big Ole Dolmars available to run; 133, 143, 153 numerious 166's as well as the usual Dolmars of new and old Someday soon I will have the KMS4 back together..

Scott

You or anyone else for that matter is Welcome to stop by and run a Dolmar with a big ole bar... Say 143mx wearin a 30" or a 166 wearin a 50" or 72"

Big Ole Dolmars available to run; 133, 143, 153 numerious 166's as well as the usual Dolmars of new and old Someday soon I will have the KMS4 back together..

Scott

That's a mighty fine offer, Scott, if only I was not living a few thousand miles away from ya !!

And you dealers are well known for those secred backrooms, where your money may disappear in the blink on an eye ....dangerous folks, you are.. hmmmmmmmm:cheers:

Gotta be nosy....What's the wire spool on the saw horses for?
In the background of the last picture.
That has 600 feet of 1 inch nylon rope on it .I used it to pull the top out of that 107 foot oak .My buddy got as high up as could in his bucket and we jumped the top out using that dozer in the background.Over 100 foot of tree ,75 feet from the house,had to take measures.

Scott

here are a few pics of my 143 MX with a buried 42" bar. It pulled it pretty well. I now have a dolmar 153 in the form of a poulan 6000. It has a 40" bar and handles it with ease.

Those are nice pics.Since I don't have them in my area are cottonwoods considered a hard or soft wood?

Whooeee! Call me paranoid, but you won't catch me standing next to that cottonwood! As far as it being softwood or hardwood, its pretty academic. I have looked into cottonwood because I have access to lots of it. It's really not good for much.....its very soft, twists like a mobius as it dries, and leaves lots of ash when it burns.

They like it out here in Arizona because it grows like a weed and provides shade pretty quickly. The down side is that as it becomes a big tree it sheds limbs like crazy. It grows naturally (and pentifully) in drainages and areas with higher water tables, but is adaptable to almost anywhere if you give some water.

Anyone figure out anything to do with cottonwood? I'd be very interested.

Whooeee! Call me paranoid, but you won't catch me standing next to that cottonwood! As far as it being softwood or hardwood, its pretty academic. I have looked into cottonwood because I have access to lots of it. It's really not good for much.....its very soft, twists like a mobius as it dries, and leaves lots of ash when it burns.

They like it out here in Arizona because it grows like a weed and provides shade pretty quickly. The down side is that as it becomes a big tree it sheds limbs like crazy. It grows naturally (and pentifully) in drainages and areas with higher water tables, but is adaptable to almost anywhere if you give some water.

Anyone figure out anything to do with cottonwood? I'd be very interested.

Take them down and burn them before they hollow out, shed branches on you, and blow over in the wind?

Mark

Believe it or not ,the eastern variety of cottonwood is considered a hard wood.They do get large.Not much commercial value although a little known fact is in order.Often times what is commercially sold as poplar trim is in fact cotton wood.

They had to slightly embelish the name in order to sell it because if sold as cottonwood nobody would buy it.

I've seen farm outbuildings made of the stuff.They do okay if the structure is such that the wood is not exposed to weather and dampness.We had a small henhouse that was likely at least 50 years old when we demolished it.It was still resonabley sound.

Believe it or not ,the eastern variety of cottonwood is considered a hard wood.They do get large.Not much commercial value although a little known fact is in order.Often times what is commercially sold as poplar trim is in fact cotton wood.

They had to slightly embelish the name in order to sell it because if sold as cottonwood nobody would buy it.

I've seen farm outbuildings made of the stuff.They do okay if the structure is such that the wood is not exposed to weather and dampness.We had a small henhouse that was likely at least 50 years old when we demolished it.It was still resonabley sound.

Seems like I had read another use for cottonwood, I'll keep looking. Don't forget, the bark is popular for carving. Very easy to carve and it takes a great detail. The tree needs to be 4" - 5" dbh before the bark is thick enough to carve so there would have been some nice material in Moe's tree.

Moe - maybe it was the picture, but it sure looked like that tree was leaning a lot towards the backcut - hope it went down OK.

Latest posts

Back