The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I didn't have room to give a rundown on my two biggest and baddest.(maybe I talk too much) Anyway I have never run a mcculloch 125 (though I would love to) so I cant compare that particular oldie to what Ive got. I can tell you that these two saws are by far the strongest two saws I have ever used.
Homelite 990g this saw has a 2.8-1 underdrive and only has 6000 rpms of engine speed and that means only about 2100 rpms of chain speed, but let me tell you that the 2100 rpms you DO get is 2100 rpm no matter what!
I run a 48" bar with a .404 full comp chisel chain and have the guide teeth cut down about 1/3 and I cannot stall this saw! Once I had the chance to test this in a 43" section of dry poplar, once the bar was buried I dug the spikes in and pulled up as hard as I could and the saw never even slowed. Sounds like a winston cup car.
Stihl 090 What can I say? This is my meanest saw. The thing pulls like a gear drive but is a direct drive, so no rpms lost, cuts hard, cuts fast pulls 42" bar no problem and really throws the chips. Sounds like an indy car .

I suppose i'm spoilt i started on the biggin's and took them in my stride saws like the SP125, O90'S 075'S as io used to service repair and sell pro saws but the daddy of them all was the SP125c of Mac's it would out cut an 090 or a CT115 Dolmar with ease. I done many a demo in the bush to pro cutters in the early 80's and sold quite a few SP125's and now i have a few in my collection, true there no lightweight saw but they were a saw you would use on a timber dump to help in breaking down big logs or ripping fence posts a job these saws excelled in as thats when there torque showed.

Of all the big saws i had the opportunity to run i must say the SP125c is my personal favourite.

McBob.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/ozflea/sp125.html

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ozflea/saws46.html

=====================================

ozflea , Do you know what the difference is between a CP125 and a SP125 Mac are? I have found a very nice CP125 and I may buy it just to keep as I was raised ( it bought all my clothes and Food ) on McCulloch Chainsaws. However here on the East Coast we didn't sell many saws any larger than the 80cc's. It still in my blood.

Last edited:
Regarding the McChulloch two cylinders I mentioned, My friend told me it is the BC100, 100cc two cylinders but I don't see it listed on the Chainsw collectors site.

Uwharrie said:
ozflea , Do you know what the difference is between a CP125 and a SP125 Mac are? I have found a very nice CP125 and I may buy it just to keep as I was raised ( it bought all my clothes and Food ) on McCulloch Chainsaws. However here on the East Coast we didn't sell many saws any larger than the 80cc's. It still in my blood.

I have examples of both the CP and SP and these are the differences I found:

1. SPs have a box muffler just like any regular chainsaw. The CP has a round muffler that some have said is kart-style. It seems to be more or less the same muffler that older Mac 44, Super 44, etc. have. Not much muffling at all.

2. The lower AV frame (underneath the engine) is slightly different.

3. SPs have push-button decomp while the CP uses a lever that operates a valve just above the muffler. I broke my lever the other month and am still looking for a part.

4. The decal on the air cleaner cover.

The differences in the engines are the subjects of many debates. Seems to no rhyme or reason to which model has a chrome bore or is sleeved. I've been told that the CP has 2 wrist pin bearings in the piston (kart-style) while the SP has a single bearing in the rod. I have not torn mine down to verify.

Chris B.

Marc1 said:
Regarding the McChulloch two cylinders I mentioned, My friend told me it is the BC100, 100cc two cylinders but I don't see it listed on the Chainsw collectors site.

Never heard of it myself doesn't sound like a Mac Model to me.

McBob

Bringing an old thread back from the dead...some observations:

We finally put the 075 to some real wood this weekend against carvinmark's 084. It was an informal, subjective comparision without stopwatches or uniform wood to cut; we'll have to be more scientific next time.

For our comparison both saws were running the same 24" bar with 3/8 RS chain, bars fully buried. My overall feeling was that the 075 may have been the stronger runner when both saws were running 8 pin. You could lean on it and it really didn't slow down. It would be interesting to try this b/c setup with a 9 pin sometime.

October_GTG_02Small.jpg

The 084 was quite strong but did not have the torque of the 075 when running an 8 pin sprocket. When the 084 was swapped over to 3/8 7pin its perceived torque increased substantially and you were able to lean on the saw a lot more but still nowhere near what you could do with the 075. Net chain speed was probably about the same with the 7pin on the 084 as with the 8pin on the 075, we'll have to put a tach on 'em while running.

October_GTG_22Small.jpg

Next time we will have to compare them with 36" or 42" bars, and do some timed cuts making cookies in 30"+wood, and hopefully some 40"+ wood. All in all, though, both saws were quite impressive and were more than capable of dumping a nice pile of chips on your feet in short order!

computeruser said:
Bringing an old thread back from the dead...some observations:

We finally put the 075 to some real wood this weekend against carvinmark's 084. It was an informal, subjective comparision without stopwatches or uniform wood to cut; we'll have to be more scientific next time.

For our comparison both saws were running the same 24" bar with 3/8 RS chain, bars fully buried. My overall feeling was that the 075 may have been the stronger runner when both saws were running 8 pin. You could lean on it and it really didn't slow down. It would be interesting to try this b/c setup with a 9 pin sometime.

October_GTG_02Small.jpg

The 084 was quite strong but did not have the torque of the 075 when running an 8 pin sprocket. When the 084 was swapped over to 3/8 7pin its perceived torque increased substantially and you were able to lean on the saw a lot more but still nowhere near what you could do with the 075. Net chain speed was probably about the same with the 7pin on the 084 as with the 8pin on the 075, we'll have to put a tach on 'em while running.

October_GTG_22Small.jpg

Next time we will have to compare them with 36" or 42" bars, and do some timed cuts making cookies in 30"+wood, and hopefully some 40"+ wood. All in all, though, both saws were quite impressive and were more than capable of dumping a nice pile of chips on your feet in short order!

I couldn't have said it better,excellent overview.
Mark

I started on a plastic mac 3214 ($10 garage sale find). Burned that up, got the 011. Got sick of the little tank, got the 039. Now looking atn an 038 Magnum or 048. Cut for a few hours, a few cords of heavy, wet red oak with an 038AV. Liked it. Liked the feel more than my 039. Didn't feel so cheap. Not as much plastic on the 038. Also was cutting with an 044, what a screamer compared to the 041 I had been using. I want an 056, but I think it'd be too heavy for light firewood cutting (couple cords per year for the shop; don't heat the house with wood anymore). I'm thinking I'd sell my 039, buy an 038 Mag parts saw, and add any left over money towards a VW Jetta.

computeruser said:
My overall feeling was that the 075 may have been the stronger runner

I'm not sure about that, but I've never timed my saws. Anyway, have you blocked off the governor valve in your 075? Doing so will give you a noticeable increase in power and RPM. No, it won't hurt your saw.

Chris B.

An answer for Marc1...and anyone else interested in McCullochs...from an old chainsaw service manual I have(1974)... mac BP-1 is a high speed two-stroke, two-piston engine using one piston for power and the second piston for balance and as a sliding intake valve(a schematic shows views of this engine cycle). Maximum engine speed is 12,000 RPM. Engine develops 4.2 hp at 10,000 RPM. Saw has built in chain oiler and sharpener. Only one spark plug, the balance piston, which is smaller,has no rings, doesn't fire, and is used to "suck" the fuel mixture into the crankcase and then into the power pistons combustion chamber. Power piston is 1.750 dia. There is no data on the balance piston. peace,rc

I have been looking for one of these saws since I started collecting. Strikes me that I have talked to a few others who collect around my home town that give me the feeling that they have one but wont fess up!

Thought I'd bring this thread back as a way to show of a picture from this afternoon:

Big_Stihls.jpg

I also weighed the two saws. The 076/24" was an honest 30lbs, and the 075/41" was 33lbs. By comparison, my 066 with a 28" bar was 21lbs. I really have to give it to the oldtime loggers who used to tote these big old metal brutes around!

Last edited:
computeruser said:
Thought I'd bring this thread back as a way to show of a picture from this afternoon:

Big_Stihls.jpg

I also weighed the two saws. The 076/24" was an honest 30lbs, and the 075/41" was 33lbs. By comparison, my 066 with a 28" bar was 21lbs. I really have to give it to the oldtime loggers who used to tote these big old metal brutes around!

That 41" bar looks familar:laugh:

Bill

Yur tellin me dude

Justsaws said:
Mine has a chain break. A new one, $$$$$$$$$$$ ouch.
No doubt. $100 for the one I just put on my 266xp. Could not believe it... :bang:

Marc1 said:
I know one of the mechanic in a chainsaw shop who claims to collect old big saw and that he has a McCulloch chainsaw with two cylinders.
Is he having me on?

Certainly is as Mac didn't make a twin cylinder saw, they made some twin cylinder snowmobile engines like the BP399.

My SP125's

big1.jpg

big2.jpg

McBob125a.jpg

Mc Bob.

Last edited:
hey any of you guys own a two man saw. that is like hanging on to a fourwheeler. i own an old two man Mall. it screams. especially with the mufflers cut off. yes i said muff ff lll errrrs.:clap:

The BP-1 is a two cylinder McCulloch, but only one cylinder fires as the other is used to give extra charge to the crank case. They are a high rpm saw, that looks like a McCulloch 35 with smother features.

I Wish I Hadn't Sold This one!

This 940 was from the US Forest Service and had hardly been used. Went to a collector in the Northeast. Now that I'm more into keeping saws I never would sell one like it. This site has helped to make me "Saw Crazy!"....Bob

Latest posts

Back