The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you guys get spare parts for those old saws? I'd like to get my hands on a really big saw as a restoration project but I don't want anything that parts are extinct for.

I'd love to run one of those big 60" saws.

Of course ebay is a good source, if you pay attention to feed back and buy from reputable sellers. However newspapers and local want ads can turn up gems too. As far as what to look for, a 60" saw is going to be 100cc at least. You can google "chain saw collectors corner"to check model # with size. As for parts, unless you have developed some good sources then you should look at the larger companies like homelite or mcculloch along with stihl and husqvarna as parts will likley be plentiful pretty far back for the more common models. Unless you are already brand-loyal try to be open minded as far as brand. That way you won't miss out on a cool find. Just watch the auctions on ebay for a while and see wich saws are more common and what stuff is going for. Educate yourself first with these coupla things and it will help.:)

Last edited:
I could have bought a big old Homie at a swap meet for about $30, they guy said it ran and it had about a 24" bar. It just looked pretty rough and I decided to not mess with it. I'll keep my eyes open at more swap meets and yard sales, whats more common is an old timer passes away and the widow/family just wants rid of those old saws. Could have used a big old saw a few hours ago on a big chunk of stump.

I could have bought a big old Homie at a swap meet for about $30, they guy said it ran and it had about a 24" bar. It just looked pretty rough and I decided to not mess with it. I'll keep my eyes open at more swap meets and yard sales, whats more common is an old timer passes away and the widow/family just wants rid of those old saws. Could have used a big old saw a few hours ago on a big chunk of stump.

Yup I picked up a couple of good finds at farm auctions (after the farmer passes this is the most common occurence) up in PA. where my in-laws live. Those guys kept those things forever and now that I have a few that run well, I know why.

Mall

I was talking to my old cousin about some of the older saws. He was telling me that when he was a kid, he's 70 now, he used to hang on to the other end of the old Mall for his dad. He said those old things kicked and bucked and it'd throw him 6 or 8 feet and he said he was always scared sh1tless... I thought it was kinda interesting. He said they were definitely a beast. and people got killed all the time with those old saws cause they didn't really have any safety features. :jawdrop:

I was talking to my old cousin about some of the older saws. He was telling me that when he was a kid, he's 70 now, he used to hang on to the other end of the old Mall for his dad. He said those old things kicked and bucked and it'd throw him 6 or 8 feet and he said he was always scared sh1tless... I thought it was kinda interesting. He said they were definitely a beast. and people got killed all the time with those old saws cause they didn't really have any safety features. :jawdrop:

I can believe that. Unless I was the guy on the motorcycle handlebar end I don't think I'd risk it. A femur doesn't count as a chain brake.

Finally, I got hold of the Mac Daddy of big logging saws, the SP125 .

Truth to be told , this saw is scary to run, while she's fast reving for a 123 cc saw. Hoss, seems I am ready for the next GTG at Thall's place...:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have an 084 and that has a lot of power. I just picked up what I think is a very clean looking Mac 1-86 with 36" and 72" bars and a tub of chains. The starter rope won't go back in so I am not sure what I have, but the price was right. I'll call around next week and see if I can find a return spring. Any suggestions on where to look for old Mac parts? A friend has a well worn 075 and I keep telling myself that I do not need it. Do addicts have meetings?
THANKS

Last edited:

Truth to be told , this saw is scary to run, while she's fast reving for a 123 cc saw. Hoss, seems I am ready for the next GTG at Thall's place...:hmm3grin2orange:

Congrats, belgian! Scary yes, but nicely balanced even with a 36" bar.
I didn't see much difference in speed between a 24" or 36" bar, but that was on some 20" Sumac, not too hard. It's a shaker - make sure all the cover and starter bolts are tight. Had some come loose after my restoration until I used loctite.

Congrats, belgian! Scary yes, but nicely balanced even with a 36" bar.
I didn't see much difference in speed between a 24" or 36" bar, but that was on some 20" Sumac, not too hard. - make sure all the cover and starter bolts are tight. Had some come loose after my restoration until I used loctite.

Thanks for the comment and tip, Buzz !!

It's a shaker

You mean like shake, rattle an roll ....well dayuuuuum, I think you're right :rockn: :rockn:

I have an 084 and that has a lot of power. I just picked up what I think is a very clean looking Mac 1-86 with 36" and 72" bars and a tub of chains. The starter rope won't go back in so I am not sure what I have, but the price was right. I'll call around next week and see if I can find a return spring. Any suggestions on where to look for old Mac parts? A friend has a well worn 075 and I keep telling myself that I do not need it. Do addicts have meetings?
THANKS

Yeah we have meetings,but we'll only wind up talking you into getting that 075.Face it you are a wood junkie!

Nice saw there Belgian! I take it that drop-starting that beast is not an option? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
:chainsawguy:

:cheers: To a great thread gents!

Serge

Nice saw there Belgian! I take it that drop-starting that beast is not an option? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Serge

Drop starting is no problem. Just remember that little button on the back of the saw.

Serge

Actually, these are really nice starting saws when tuned correctly - decomp button or not. I do the knee-lock thing. The 1050 can be tough until it's warmed up since there is no decomp, but after that, it also starts nicely with one authortative pull. To minimize stress on the starter pawls, I like to ease the piston to the top of the stroke and then pull.

Actually, these are really nice starting saws when tuned correctly - decomp button or not. I do the knee-lock thing. The 1050 can be tough until it's warmed up since there is no decomp, but after that, it also starts nicely with one authortative pull. To minimize stress on the starter pawls, I like to ease the piston to the top of the stroke and then pull.
That makes total sense since your first bit of pull isn't compressing so much air and it gives you a sec to build up some momentum for the firing stroke?, hmmm seems it would be a bit easier on the bod too.

:cheers:

That makes total sense since your first bit of pull isn't compressing so much air and it gives you a sec to build up some momentum for the firing stroke?, hmmm seems it would be a bit easier on the bod too.

:cheers:

Once I get to the top of the stroke, I release the starter so it resets for a full pull, then pull slowly just enough to engage the pawls. Keep tension on the rope to keep the pawls engaged and then give it a full pull - so there's no sudden slamming of the starter pawls. Yes, much easier on the arms this way.

attachment.php

attachment.php
That's not scary,that's pure power,old style.Definatly not for the weak of heart:cheers: Glad you got it up and running.

This saw is a really good starter, but without using the decomp, I would not be able to pull her over fast enough. Once she has popped and you forget to push the decomp again, your hand gets reminded very quickly :mad: Decomp on these bad saws are a must.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back