The pressure put on a father

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While its entirely possible someone loosened the lug nuts, I would suggest inspecting the wheel for damaged lug nut seats or convex mounting surfaces on wheel or hub. Once they loosen a little bit it's possible for one or more to come off completely and behave exactly as you describe. It may just be that they weren't torqued the first time and now are suspect after being driven on.

Someone could have also stolen a couple and the other 3 were not enough to maintain torque. Seems unlikely if it's happened twice though.

Anyway, check it out just to be safe.

Idk I had the front end up in the air Sunday and checked everything for wear and the wheel was not loose and there were no nuts missing. I rotated the tires about 1500 miles ago and it was all tight. She went to work Wednesday and parked in the back lot and Thursday said her car was way worse. Im wondering if someone was trying to steel the wheel. She won't be parking in the back lot anymore. Last time a nut was missing was after Firestone put tires on but all the rest of the nuts were tight and I didn't notice it until I rotated the tires.

My problem is when I hunt up in the Catskills, bear country and getting more populated by them, I can't carry a sidearm as a non-resident. Only the gun I'm hunting with. All honesty, I actually used to carry a pump shotgun with me AND my rifle, shotgun on the way to the tree stand in the absolute pitch dark (with a tiny headlamp) and then rifle in the stand.

I wish they'd change that at least in hunting season.

I shot a deer before dark 2 years ago with my crossbow and I was waiting in the woods with a dead deer in the dark for the atv to show up. I really wished I had my pistol permit at that point. The loaded crossbow wasn't going to help me to much if a bear or coyote or some sort of cat showed up.

Idk I had the front end up in the air Sunday and checked everything for wear and the wheel was not loose and there were no nuts missing.
:) OK, cool. I thought maybe the loose wheel was the original cause of the bearing-like noise. Yeah, sounds like something might have happened in the parking lot, who knows? Still worth looking at the wheel to make sure it's not damaged from driving it loose. Like you said, not much you can do except fix it and make it right.

Make sure you tighten your lugnuts to the correct torque. I use to use only an impact wrench to tighten the nuts until I had the same situation as you. The impact wrench wasn't doing the job anymore. I double check by hand with a big ratchet nowdays.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Aluminum wheels are really bad about loosening, I torque mine with a torque wrench and usually check them the next two nights, almost always the first night they are not up to torque but then the next night they are and stay. Have had issues with my gooseneck with the right side but never the left, lots of fellow tractor pullers have had that as well, as near as we can figure out it is because of the crown of the road putting a bit more load on the right side, may not be right but its a theory.

Back