The pressure put on a father

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about NY, but in PA it's legal to spotlight deer *from the road* from sunrise to 11 p.m. Other restrictions are it has to be outside of firearms deer season, no lighting up buildings or livestock, and person spotlighting can not be armed (licensed CC is ok).

Personally, I don't do it because I think it's intrusive and rude without getting landowner permission first. Also, with today's fairly inexpensive trail cameras, there's no need for spotlighting--unless they're planning on trespassing and poaching.
NY no hunting after sunset. And you cannot do any hunting from a motor vehicle. You cant even have a roundin the gun while driving

It’s not the Yankees carrying the guns, They’re scared of them. Unfortunately I live in a very left (yankee) state and you’re not allowed to carry.
Were I live 1 in 5 have a ccw permit . NY isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. Its even gotten faster to get a ccw than a few years ago my wife waited 2 years for it . My 2 sons and daughter about 8 months

I can carry in your state under federal law

NY no hunting after sunset

There certainly is hunting after sunset in both NY and PA (furbearers). While no hunting after sunset (or a short period after sunset) is pretty much the rule for many game animals everywhere in the country, spotlighting (observing) is not considered "hunting" and is legal in PA, NY, and many other states.

You yanks are funny takin a gun everywhere.
my 10 yr old has been getting scared by the kangaroos coming close to his bedroom window at night for the nice grass, He comes in saying there's someone there so I run outside in my undies and that would scare anyone off.
Guess you dont have 350 lbs black bears where you live. When I'm out in early spring or late fate fall I have a .357 sidearm and a 30-06 close by. A .308 or 9 mm would just piss it off.

You yanks are funny takin a gun everywhere.
my 10 yr old has been getting scared by the kangaroos coming close to his bedroom window at night for the nice grass, He comes in saying there's someone there so I run outside in my undies and that would scare anyone off.
I was in your country in 2008 really liked it . But the alcohol rules really blew my mind . In Sydney every drink was metered out by a machine one shot per drink . I was there with a large group of people corporate conference. They booked a place and none of us were driving . Walked up to a pretty little bar made and asked for 8 shots of stoli vodka with 5 beers. She was like what ? I can't do that, guy bartender comes over from California and says this is the way Americans drink and fills the order . We had buses taking us back to the hotel.

Now here I am thinking about crocodile Dundee drinking with his buds but in reality if you show the slightest bit of inebriation your cut off

I was in your country in 2008 really liked it . But the alcohol rules really blew my mind . In Sydney every drink was metered out by a machine one shot per drink . I was there with a large group of people corporate conference. They booked a place and none of us were driving . Walked up to a pretty little bar made and asked for 8 shots of stoli vodka with 5 beers. She was like what ? I can't do that, guy bartender comes over from California and says this is the way Americans drink and fills the order . We had buses taking us back to the hotel.

Now here I am thinking about crocodile Dundee drinking with his buds but in reality if you show the slightest bit of inebriation your cut off
We really have turned into a nanny state/country. Once you go outback it gets better. Im sick of all the rules but whatcha do.

Guess you dont have 350 lbs black bears where you live. When I'm out in early spring or late fate fall I have a .357 sidearm and a 30-06 close by. A .308 or 9 mm would just piss it off.
Dad youse to have a 4/10 shotgun for the snakes but now you get in trouble victimised if you kill one.

• There certainly is hunting after sunset in both NY and PA (furbearers). While no hunting after sunset (or a short period after sunset) is pretty much the rule for many game animals everywhere in the country, spotlighting (observing) is not considered "hunting" and is legal in PA, NY, and many other states.
    But if you get caught with a loaded firearm your in jail and you forfeit all your firearms including ones at your home. I'm talking about deer hunting .

I like to enjoy my adult beverages after work and basically in NY if I were to hold an intruder at gun point until the police show up I could do some time in jail. Its a messed up state. Yes the county I live in isn't hard to get a concealed carry permit but there is some gray area and strict guidelines that could blow the whole thing. Regardless i live in the country and am loading up if I feel necessary. Im not trying to hurt anyone and will do jail time to protect the wife and kids. Ive had the police take all my guns and never got them back for a smokey fire and neighbor complaint. NY is no joke. Its run by a governor who hates freedom and loves taxes. I have guns registered with the state and had to get rid of 30 round clips. A criminal has more rights than I do...and he runs the state.

I carry, I don’t Go out without. Sometimes I get a hard time about it, I hope I never have to prove I was right. Stay safe,
protect your family.

Sunday I drove my wife's suv and the wheel bearing was real loud but I checked the whole front end and everything was tight. Today after work I go to change the wheel bearing and 2 lug nuts are missing and the other 3 are loose. She drove it to work, she is a health care worker, Wednesday and Thursday and someone stole 2 nuts and loosened the other 3. That makes me very angry but what can I do? Replace them and move on. This is the second time in a year ive had to replace lug nuts. Id love to find the person who did this but I'd be the bad guy. Some scumbag loosened the wheel on the family vehicle and theres nothing I can do but move on. Welcome to NY.

Sunday I drove my wife's suv and the wheel bearing was real loud but I checked the whole front end and everything was tight. Today after work I go to change the wheel bearing and 2 lug nuts are missing and the other 3 are loose. She drove it to work, she is a health care worker, Wednesday and Thursday and someone stole 2 nuts and loosened the other 3. That makes me very angry but what can I do? Replace them and move on. This is the second time in a year ive had to replace lug nuts. Id love to find the person who did this but I'd be the bad guy. Some scumbag loosened the wheel on the family vehicle and theres nothing I can do but move on. Welcome to NY.
Why can't you find the person who did it and do something about it?
Cameras are pretty easy to come by and install.

• But if you get caught with a loaded firearm your in jail and you forfeit all your firearms including ones at your home. I'm talking about deer hunting .

I don't think anyone in this discussion started by Mustang71 ever stated that hunting from a vehicle or having a loaded firearm in, on, or leaning against a vehicle is legal or advisable. My original post only had to do with the possibility of the lights that Mustang71's son had seen may have been from a person who was engaged in legal spotlighting (not hunting) for deer this time of year.

What PA, NY, and many other states prohibit is spotlighting while possessing any hunting arms (rifle, shotgun, handgun, bow, crossbow, etc.). That is, you can get out of your vehicle, walk onto land that you have permission to be on, use your spotlight to observe animals, but you can't be carrying any hunting arms while doing so. It is also legal to be spotlighting from inside or on your vehicle. In NY, my understanding is that it is legal to have firearms/bows in your car while spotlighting, but they can't be functional/accessible. These rules eliminate the ability for a dishonest person to tell a police/game officer, "I wasn't hunting. I was just spotlighting."

My problem is when I hunt up in the Catskills, bear country and getting more populated by them, I can't carry a sidearm as a non-resident. Only the gun I'm hunting with. All honesty, I actually used to carry a pump shotgun with me AND my rifle, shotgun on the way to the tree stand in the absolute pitch dark (with a tiny headlamp) and then rifle in the stand.

I wish they'd change that at least in hunting season.

cameras and a baseball bat.

"just a little fungo practice officer"

Replace them with spline drives. Not a fix but I bet the culprit isn’t carrying one.

Sunday I drove my wife's suv and the wheel bearing was real loud but I checked the whole front end and everything was tight. Today after work I go to change the wheel bearing and 2 lug nuts are missing and the other 3 are loose.
While its entirely possible someone loosened the lug nuts, I would suggest inspecting the wheel for damaged lug nut seats or convex mounting surfaces on wheel or hub. Once they loosen a little bit it's possible for one or more to come off completely and behave exactly as you describe. It may just be that they weren't torqued the first time and now are suspect after being driven on.

Someone could have also stolen a couple and the other 3 were not enough to maintain torque. Seems unlikely if it's happened twice though.

Anyway, check it out just to be safe.

Back