The Problem with Normal People

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, that's the thing. I poured my heart and soul in Hot Sexy Toes and what did I get in return? That's right! A cold-hearted, blunt refutation of my heroes, The Stooges. Boys, I can absorb or deflect or ignore massive assaults on every thing I hold near to my heart, the food I eat, my favorite football team, even my dog, William. But, when you reject The Stooges, knowing all the while full well what they have meant to me over the years, well, that's it. That's it. No excuses. No apologies. No wailing over what could have been and never will be can take back the destruction to my person.

There are limits, folks. Boundaries, as is the "hip" term in this era. To me, it is simply, "I can't take it. I can't any more, Jerry!"

Next time I intend to be much more cautious before volunteering to rescue anyone in distress, regardless what their toes look like or how many cheeseburgers she places in front of me.

And I, for 1, likes it

Physicists Find Another Gravitational Wave to Suggest Einstein Was Right

BlackHoleArtTA (2).jpg

THREE BILLION YEARS ago, two black holes collided to form a larger one. In the process, they produced a massive wave rolling through the fabric of spacetime at the speed of light. When the wave finally arrived at Earth on January 4 this year, it had faded into a light tickle upon the super-sensitive instruments of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory, and for the third time ever, physicists observed a ripple in spacetime known as a gravitational wave. More detections means that physicists have a more precise understanding of how gravity works than ever—and they might have a new way to study the deepest mysteries of the universe.

LIGO hunts for gravitational waves by looking for tiny compressions they cause on Earth. From above, LIGO’s observatories look like an L, with two 2.5 mile-long arms stretched at right angles. If a gravitational wave sweeps through, it will momentarily change the lengths of one of these arms—and using lasers, LIGO measures these extremely small fluctuations with painstaking precision. It can pick up a compression or stretch that’s 10,000 times smaller than the width of a proton.

Haha 3 billion years ago, I never listen to anyone starting off with that because they are only guessing :laugh:

You think?

LIGO operates two gravitational wave observatories in unison: the LIGO Livingston Observatory (30°33′46.42″N 90°46′27.27″W) in Livingston, Louisiana, and the LIGO Hanford Observatory, on the DOE Hanford Site (46°27′18.52″N 119°24′27.56″W), located near Richland, Washington. These sites are separated by 3,002 kilometers (1,865 miles). Since gravitational waves are expected to travel at the speed of light, this distance corresponds to a difference in gravitational wave arrival times of up to ten milliseconds. Through the use of trilateration, the difference in arrival times helps to determine the source of the wave.

As first pointed out by [159, 160], by measuring the gravitational waveform during the inspiral and merger of a binary it is possible to make a direct and absolute measurement of the luminosity distance to a source. This is because the physics underlying the inspiral of a binary due to GW emission is well described and understood in general relativity. These sources thus offer an entirely independent and complementary way to measure the evolution history of our Universe. Standard sirens are physical, not astrophysical, measures of distance.

How do we know the distances across space? Astronomers start with an actual measurement of nearby stars via stellar parallax and use a stepping stone method to estimate the vast distances beyond the closest stars. It’s impressive, but the method is full of guesstimates, and thus cosmic distances are known to be uncertain. Now researchers from the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen say they’ve demonstrated that precise distances can be measured using supermassive black holes. The scientific journal Nature published their results, which they announced today (November 26, 2014).

To probe the usefulness of this method, the researchers used the central region of an active galaxy called NGC 4151. Its central region is the famous Eye of Sauron – not the one from Lord of the Rings, but a realm of space surely as formidable: a supermassive black hole at the center of NGC 4151, which we – at our great distance across space – see as still active. IN other words, unlike the dormant supermassive black hole at the center of our own Milky Way galaxy, the supermassive black hole in NGC 4151 still accretes – or accumulate – matter via gas clouds surrounding it. The researchers say it’s this process of accretion that makes it possible to measure the distance to the galaxy.

Darach Watson of the Dark Cosmology Center at the Niels Bohr Institute and study leader Sebastian Hönig, who now works at the University of Southampton in the U.K., worked together to obtain these results. Watson explained:

When the gas falls in towards the black hole, it is heated up and emits ultraviolet radiation. The ultraviolet radiation heats a ring of dust, which orbits the black hole at a large distance, and this heats the dust causing it to emit infrared radiation.

Using telescopes on Earth, we can now measure the time delay between the ultraviolet light from the black hole and the subsequent infrared radiation emitted from the dust cloud. The time difference is about 30 days, and because we know the speed of light, we can calculate the real physical distance between the black hole and the encircling dust.

He said that by combining the light from the two 10-meter Keck telescopes on Mauna Kea on Hawaii using a method called interferometry, his team was able make the two Keck telescopes act in a way that was equivalent to one telescope with a perfect 85-meter diameter mirror. According to their press release, that gave the two Keck telescopes:

… a hundred times better resolution than the Hubble Space Telescope — and allows them to measure the angle the dust ring makes in the sky, (about twelve millionth of a degree).

Then the researchers combined data about the angular size of the dust ring on the sky’s dome with the physical size of 30 light-days, to find the distance to the supermassive black hole in NGC 4151. Watson said:

We calculated the distance to be 62 million light-years. The previous calculations based on redshift (a change in the wavelength of the light due to the velocity of the object away from us) were between 13 million and 95 million light-years, so we have gone from a great deal of uncertainty to now being able to determine the precise distance. This is very significant for astronomical calculations of cosmic scale distances.

It always surprises me that people react to large numbers, especially in regard to time calculations, with a conviction that somehow it's all guesswork and bulls**t and a lefty conspiracy by scientists with nothing better to do than bamboozle the masses. Yet, they expouse such ideas on a cell phone or a computer. There's a lot of irony in that. A cell phone operating at 2.4 GHz or a computer performing calculations at similar frequencies doesn't seem to bother them at all, even though you only have to go back 30 years in time to read outlandish claims that no computer processor could ever run at clock speeds above 200Mhz without burning itself up. The one I'm on now is running at over 3GHz. In order to build reference oscillators with enough accuracy to perform these miracles of science, you need a reference oscillator of extreme accuracy and stability... an atomic clock. It needs to have an extremely predictable decay rate in order to use it for equipment measuring frequencies as high as those in modern computers and communications systems. The frequency reference that I use in my lab/shop is a rubidium atomic clock that maintains its accuracy by connecting to between 8 and 12 satellites and using the even more accurate atomic clocks on them to self-adjust the output frequency as the rubidium decays with age.

These atomic clocks rely on knowing the decay rate of large isotopes... the exact same technology used to determine large expanses of time in geological formations and organic matter, or to compare to other equipment outputs to verify shifts in things otherwise not directly measurable. Like the radio equipment I repair during the off season, modern electronics makes it easy to use frequency synthesizers and dividers to get extremely high frequency signals down to a lower frequency that's more useful to us, and vice-versa. It's all magic. And without it, absolutely none of our favorite technological advances would work at all.

If you don't believe the planet is 4.54 billion years old, then throw all that techno-wizardry in the garbage. None if it can possibly work. If they're wrong about that, then they're wrong about atomic clocks and they're just a lefty conspiracy and don't really work. Which means your cell phone doesn't work, and neither does your computer.

Strontium Waterfall Atomic Clock

After seeing enough pictures like this, they lose their impact on me. However, if I was on the other side of the sun, personally, and glimpsed it up close and the earth in the distance, it would be too cool. I rarely think about the vastness of the universe, nor the size and the color and the roiling currents of magnetic plasma belching over the sun's surface non-stop, the gigantic cauldron of fusing hydrogen spitting up helium in bursts of twisted geysers 1000s of times bigger than our blue orb. What an incredible sight. What an incredible reality.
But, children rarely tire of these kinds of things. The child is the father of man.
"My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;"

or:
"Do you believe in the day? Believe in the day!" jt
FLARE (2).jpg

Ah, but Waylon got it. Waylon knew it real good. How does he do it?

I'm riding the big blue ball

It always surprises me that people react to large numbers, especially in regard to time calculations, with a conviction that somehow it's all guesswork and bulls**t and a lefty conspiracy by scientists with nothing better to do than bamboozle the masses. Yet, they expouse such ideas on a cell phone or a computer. There's a lot of irony in that. A cell phone operating at 2.4 GHz or a computer performing calculations at similar frequencies doesn't seem to bother them at all, even though you only have to go back 30 years in time to read outlandish claims that no computer processor could ever run at clock speeds above 200Mhz without burning itself up. The one I'm on now is running at over 3GHz. In order to build reference oscillators with enough accuracy to perform these miracles of science, you need a reference oscillator of extreme accuracy and stability... an atomic clock. It needs to have an extremely predictable decay rate in order to use it for equipment measuring frequencies as high as those in modern computers and communications systems. The frequency reference that I use in my lab/shop is a rubidium atomic clock that maintains its accuracy by connecting to between 8 and 12 satellites and using the even more accurate atomic clocks on them to self-adjust the output frequency as the rubidium decays with age.

These atomic clocks rely on knowing the decay rate of large isotopes... the exact same technology used to determine large expanses of time in geological formations and organic matter, or to compare to other equipment outputs to verify shifts in things otherwise not directly measurable. Like the radio equipment I repair during the off season, modern electronics makes it easy to use frequency synthesizers and dividers to get extremely high frequency signals down to a lower frequency that's more useful to us, and vice-versa. It's all magic. And without it, absolutely none of our favorite technological advances would work at all.

If you don't believe the planet is 4.54 billion years old, then throw all that techno-wizardry in the garbage. None if it can possibly work. If they're wrong about that, then they're wrong about atomic clocks and they're just a lefty conspiracy and don't really work. Which means your cell phone doesn't work, and neither does your computer.

Strontium Waterfall Atomic Clock
Science is great, I however believe the dates flawed. I also believe I draw the line on hypothesis and theory and gadgets obtained by aliens. Much of the Darwinism and other pseudo science involved with or to support their agendas. I'm interested in how Mayans seemed to know about the universe before telescopes though. I'm not interested in carbon dating and other forms of science trying to play God and feel it's merely a matter of time before they goof and stumble on worse than atomic power. Science,progression for some that believe its progression to have stuff that can kill everything on this planet 3k years I say phoey.

Science is great, I however believe the dates flawed. I also believe I draw the line on hypothesis and theory and gadgets obtained by aliens. Much of the Darwinism and other pseudo science involved with or to support their agendas. I'm interested in how Mayans seemed to know about the universe before telescopes though. I'm not interested in carbon dating and other forms of science trying to play God and feel it's merely a matter of time before they goof and stumble on worse than atomic power. Science,progression for some that believe its progression to have stuff that can kill everything on this planet 3k years I say phoey.

grey.jpg
MOM!

Mike Tyson seems to have settled down. Hope so for his sake. That man could punch. He may be taking Prozac. What a difference. Way to go Iron Mike. Keep it up babe, you can do it.

mary hanged (2).jpg
Ah, but Waylon got it. Waylon knew it real good. How does he do it?

I'm riding the big blue ball

That first image of a hanging in the little video included a woman. She was the first woman hung in the U.S. ---for the murder of President Lincoln. The entire platform they were standin upon was knocked from underneath them in one moment.

MARY E. SURRATT
…the Commission do, therefore, sentence her, the said MARY E. SURRATT, to be hanged by the neck until she be dead, at such time and place as the President of the United States shall direct. At 1:22pm on July 7, 1865

execution lincoln assessinators (2).jpeg

This moron, Paddock, may have had brain damage, a tumor or necrosis, like Charlie Whitman the Texas Tower mass killer. Months before he began his rampage he saw a psychiatrist. He wrote, "I talked with a Doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him my fears that I felt come [sic] overwhelming violent impulses. After one visit, I never saw the Doctor again, and since then have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and seemingly to no avail."

The doctor he saw wrote this in his after session notes, "This massive, muscular youth seemed to be oozing with hostility .... that something seemed to be happening to him and that he didn't seem to be himself." "He readily admits having overwhelming periods of hostility with a very minimum of provocation. Repeated inquiries attempting to analyze his exact experiences were not too successful with the exception of his vivid reference to 'thinking about going up on the tower with a deer rifle and start shooting people.'"

His tested IQ was 139. He was an Eagle Scout and an accomplished pianist by 12.

He was crying out for help.

Paddock showed no such willingness or desire to have someone help him find a way to out. I wish someone had been prepared to interfere with an armed whackjob who suddenly decided to open fire on a crowd of unsuspecting, innocent concert goers. They were exposed and vulnerable until armed officers arrived.

Latest posts

Back