The Problem with Normal People

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bezos announced in March that his team of researchers had discovered a set of giant twisted F-1 engines in 14,000 feet of water off the Florida coast.
F-1 engines powered the Saturn V rocket carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins on the Apollo 11 mission to the moon. At an altitude of about 38 miles, the first stage of the spacecraft, including the engines, separated. These parts were considered destroyed or lost forever.
Each of the engines weighs nearly 9 tons, and they came in a cluster of five. They provided 32 million horsepower by burning 6,000 pounds of fuel every second

As nice as 2400 HP Corvettes are, compared to 32,000,000, they ain't nothing.

over my head.

I do not care any thing about the Saturn rockets or the money invested. In my corvette I could just drive around looking cool or have some thing to do after cleaning all my saws. What is not to like? Thanks

over my head.

I do not care any thing about the Saturn rockets or the money invested. In my corvette I could just drive around looking cool or have some thing to do after cleaning all my saws. What is not to like? Thanks

You don't like to dream about taking a 37 story high rocket with 32,000,000 HP on a spin? I love both the Apollo space craft and vettes. I have no chance of getting in either one.

With my limited brain power I have to wonder how the earth holds the moon in an orbit around itself, through gravity, when rockets escape earth's gravitational pull a few hundred miles above its surface.

Escape velocity

Thanks JTM. But, how can a rocket escape the gravitation pull of the earth, and the moon which is 240,000 miles away, is held in an orbit around earth?

Unrelated to escape velocity, you are suggesting that if the moon's orbital speed were less than it is, it would fall into the earth, I suppose? If it were faster, it would fly away, out of its orbit?

If the sun holds Pluto in an orbit from 3.6 billions miles away, how can a rocket traveling to the moon at 25,000 mph not be pulled into the sun?

If the sun loses 4,000,000 tons of mass per/sec (and it does) and it has been losing that amount for 4 to 5,000,000,000 years, how is it possible that the earth's orbit around the sun is the same today as it was back then? It weighed 2 followed by 16 zeros tons less 5 billion years ago. That is 2 quintillion tons. If Einstein is correct, and he is, and it is the enormous mass of the sun that warps space which creates the troughs that planets travel through, which we call gravity, how can the sun lose that much mass without disturbing the troughs or the orbits of the planets?

Where does light go when it can no longer be seen or sensed with any equipment? What happens to it?

In addition to elephant collecting I've decided to branch out a wee bit. My next hobby is going to include

Can you imagine this King of Kings the size of a grapefruit. Could have held Him in one hand. My imaginative skills are generally next to nothing, but when it comes to His birth, I picture all kinds of things.

I see him being cared for in primitive conditions, with none of the precautionary medical advances we take for granted. The sand, darkness and dirt, glistening arms and foreheads, potable water and ancient rags, pain and moaning, suspense and delight and amazement. No crowds. No pageantry. The world slept and still sleeps unaware of what really took place on that average, toil filled, lonely day thousands of years ago.

"A woman just gave birth to a prince today and dressed him in scarlet. He'll put the priest in his pocket, put the blade to the heat. Take the motherless children off the street. And place them at the feet of a harlot."

Zimmy D. doesn't care about all the hoopla. But, he does get the true meaning of this little fella's arrival. Forget religion. Get to the point. It is about forgiveness and caring for the unwanted.

I always knew that this Santa Claus of religion was nothin but myth and mere fancy, hogwash, stupid, silly, utter nonsense for anyone who happened to be born with the ability to think. I mean, it was nice fluff, if you didn't have a brain. It wasn't bad as pure make-believe bull. If you happen to be able to reason, this Christmas garbage was just that. Don't go around trying to convert me, neither, or I'll make a fool out of you in 3 seconds. Your head will be spinning.

Until

You, I, anyone, can only do so much to convince others to try something. Promoting the pleasures of drugs/alcohol in order to encourage someone to give them a shot, too see what they're like, doesn't take much. Folks are pretty easy to persuade along those lines, at least I was.

This god thing is like pullin teeth, at least it was for me. The standards of proof were impossibly high until life turned darker than I thought it ever would or could. That softened me up, made me question how certain I was that there absolutely could be no god.

The exciting thing is this: the Webb telescope is 100 times more powerful than Hubble. It will be launched in the Spring of 2019 propelled by an Ariane 5 rocket from a site in Kourou, French Guiana. At close to a million miles from earth, it will be too far away for any service or repair work. We've got to get it right before she leaves. The Ariane 5 better not fail, either.
Each surface in the enormous segmented mirror is coated in a thin layer of gold. Quite the bargain at a mere $8.8 billion dollars.

webb (2).jpg

Here she be. Right on time. This is gonna be wild. Also, personal transportation drones are here. The future is here. Not that the fear of anything over 6 inches high bothers me.

Couldn't get to ArboristSite today though I tried many times. Internal Error problem it said. Until finally,

Go to 38:29 and watch for 5 seconds. I won't tell you what to look for. I don't want to spoil it. I was flabbergasted, blown away. It is the heavyweight bout between Clay and Liston, the first one. Tell me I'm crazy. Tell me I'm hallucinating. Not that there is any thing wrong with it.

superk_water (2).jpg The Super-K is located 1,000 m (3,281 ft) underground in Kamioka Mining and Smelting Co.'s Mozumi Mine in Hida's Kamioka area. It consists of a cylindrical stainless steel tank that is 41.4 m (135.8 ft) tall and 39.3 m (128.9 ft) in diameter holding 50,000 tons of ultra-pure water. Mounted on the superstructure are 11,146 photomultiplier tubes (PMT) 20 in (50.8 cm) in diameter. superk_photo_2 (2).jpg

Things are not looking real good for our first family of crime. The most corrupt couple ever involved in leading this nation have generated new interest in their pay to play foundation and in Hillary's grossly negligent handling of classified information through her private email accounts.

This should be an interesting battle over just who is in charge of our nation. Blood gonna spill. Massive egos on the line in an all out war to settle scores. Not the most opportune time for this given the number of nuts who long for our destruction, inside and outside our borders, and the unaccounted for missing fissile material sufficient to explode a nuclear weapon.

Back