The processed meat thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short timer

Wish you'd stop being so good to me captain
Reaction score
10lb log of pork roll
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0675.JPG
Venison summer sausage, Ham, roasted red peppers, lettuce and spicy mustard on fresh rye!
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG

Great looking Jerky. I do like Beef Jerky, but finding a lean roast to slice up is a challenge. Venison Jerky is always lean, and is the best. :)

This year there was a lot of road kill. 2 Elk and 1 Moose was processed into steak and burger for the community that came together to deal with the 100s of pounds of meat. Lots of Venison too. I was lucky in that my roadkill deer was killed yet the backstraps and tenderloins were fine. I even got the heart and liver out with no damage to them. I have so much Venison that I am only hunting for a trophy buck this year. A meat buck gets a pass.

Great looking Jerky. I do like Beef Jerky, but finding a lean roast to slice up is a challenge. Venison Jerky is always lean, and is the best. :)

This year there was a lot of road kill. 2 Elk and 1 Moose was processed into steak and burger for the community that came together to deal with the 100s of pounds of meat. Lots of Venison too. I was lucky in that my roadkill deer was killed yet the backstraps and tenderloins were fine. I even got the heart and liver out with no damage to them. I have so much Venison that I am only hunting for a trophy buck this year. A meat buck gets a pass.
If I don’t have venison, I get London broil when it’s on sale, perfect cut of beef for making jerky.

If I don’t have venison, I get London broil when it’s on sale, perfect cut of beef for making jerky.

Yes very lean, but the best jerky is when sliced with the grain of the meat. If you can get a london broil roast (also called the sirloin) that is good and lean then you are at an excellent starting point. For those that don't know, most LB steaks are cut against the grain, so it is best to purchase roasts where you control the direction of the slicing for the best jerky.

Yes very lean, but the best jerky is when sliced with the grain of the meat. If you can get a london broil roast (also called the sirloin) that is good and lean then you are at an excellent starting point. For those that don't know, most LB steaks are cut against the grain, so it is best to purchase roasts where you control the direction of the slicing for the best jerky.
Ever see these jerky slicers for grinders? It literally takes less than 30 seconds to slice up 5lbs if jerky.
4192D63D-1FB2-40F1-A6C7-E267F06F4816.jpeg

53995630-B505-493F-972A-BC46190E440A.jpeg

D68A98CF-482D-4409-ACD0-89B24A307320.jpeg

The grinder sits on a fold away shelf that goes into a cabinet in the right side of the island. The left side has the same thing but has my wife’s big kitchenaid mixer. There are outlets inside those cabinets too.

B002C6E5-0B80-440A-A96A-9EE0B02ED6C2.jpeg

7DF090F5-1016-42E5-B3E3-55DE6AAE6338.jpeg

That is new to me. I have a slicer but it is a slice at a time and then I have to cut the strips. Uniformity is lacking. I have to regularly monitor the jerky and pull off a few at a time, as they become ready. Basically in the last couple of finishing hours I am constantly on my feet looking at and touching (and or course eating) the jerky. Only a true carnivore would dedicate such time to the drying of meat. :D But Dayum it is Goode....

You have a link? I have a Cabelas Carnivore Meat Grinder, 3/4 hp that uses (from memory) #12 attachments.

That is new to me. I have a slicer but it is a slice at a time and then I have to cut the strips. Uniformity is lacking. I have to regularly monitor the jerky and pull off a few at a time, as they become ready. Basically in the last couple of finishing hours I am constantly on my feet looking at and touching (and or course eating) the jerky. Only a true carnivore would dedicate such time to the drying of meat. :D But Dayum it is Goode....

You have a link? I have a Cabelas Carnivore Meat Grinder, 3/4 hp that uses (from memory) #12 attachments.
I’ve found even with perfectly uniform slices, they finish at different times. I smoke mine for about 3 hours and then put it in a dehydrator to finish. It never works out where the strips are done at the same time. I will see if they still make this slicer, I’ve had it for years. If it’s still available, you won’t know how you lived without it.

Back