ArboristSite.com Sponsors

The question I have ever asked but often think about

Discussion in 'Climbing and Rigging Equipment' started by Arbomeister, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Arbomeister

Arbomeister ArboristSite Lurker

Context:
    Dead tree. Too dangerous to climb but there is access to nearby trees. Attatch lifeline to nearby safe tree and descend / traverse to dead tree.

The question:
    If working the dead tree, so thereby having some form of secondary attatchement to it, and it suddenly compromises / falls / breaks away - what do you do to avoid being torn apart?

My thoughts:
    If it is a spar, then have attatchement lanyard as close to the top of it as possible so that as the spar falls, there is a chance that the lanyard becomes free.

If not a spar then unclip asap. But these don't feel like good enough answers.

Others - thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Hoodiegadoo

Hoodiegadoo ArboristSite Member

Not sure what the proper answer is but I have been in that situation twice and I used a single piece of 550 cord to tie in to the dead tree so if/when it failed it would snap pretty quickly. That was my thought anyway. Never had to test it. Thankfully

3. Del_

Del_ Life is but a song we sing.

Just install some type of 'weak link' in your lanyard system so it will 'break away'.

4. benjo75

benjo75 ArboristSite Operative

Some climbers will use a small carabiner that's rated for 200 or 300 lbs on their lanyard.

5. jomoco

jomoco Tree Freak

Been in that situation many times and just keep my trimsaw running n ready to cut my lanyard if things go south.

Jomoco