THE STUMP FROM HELL !!!! pics !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timber_Hitch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This stump has survived being drilled with about 30 one inch holes filled with diesel then set on fire. I have ripped the corner tooth off my Case 580 backhoe bucket. I have tried to wrap a chain around the stump then accellerate downhill with a slack chain only to be stopped like I hit a Star Trek force field. I tried an old fashioned powder wedge with a full load of black powder, why this didn't result in the neighbors calling the State Police or destroying all the Anderson windows on that side of the house I will never know. My latest trick was to pressure wash the ????? so I can see what I am battling. This stump has turned my back yard into a mini Central Park, it really looks sweet when the weeds grow on the hills around the moat and looks like a bird exhibit at the Zoo. This will be my 2nd year against the stump. freinds have offered to grind it for free !!! NO this is me against the Stump. Any suggestion short of C4 will be appreciated. The soil under the tree seems to be claylike with stones molded into it like concrete. HELP !!!:angry2:

reply to stump troubles

you could chop of most of the roots with an axe or a pick.if that doesnt work when you go to yank it, then call your buddy with the stump grinder.lol:greenchainsaw: bill howe

I guess you dont have a stump grinder. Hire someone with one. That stump is cake and will blow apart!

Stump Grinders are great if you want a Bird Bath every year as the wood decays and settles. The birds love wallowing in the Puddle long after the Stump Grinding check has be cashed. :monkey:

Yes my yard is a mess now but when I am done that will be the end of it. I wont need to be filling the depressions in the ground left from Stump Grinding decay like the 4 I fill in the front yard every other year. This stump measures 9' diameter its no small stump.:jawdrop:

just like everybody else has said just grind the darn thing and get your headache over with and your yard back to normal. i could grind that in 10 minuites. if your worried about sinkage then rake out all of the grindings and put them in your compost. tell the guy grinding to go as deep as possible

Stump Grinders are great if you want a Bird Bath every year as the wood decays and settles. The birds love wallowing in the Puddle long after the Stump Grinding check has be cashed. :monkey:

either leave area raised to allow for settling or remove the grindings. You have made this more difficult than it needs to be.

It looks like it is ready to come out. I have removed thousands of stumps with a back hoe. Rember to compact the hole to prevent the bird bath effect.

A competent stump grinder would have completed that job in less than an 1 hour. I would have overground the stump to get enough dirt mix in the backfill. A layer of top soil and some grass seed and problem solved. Total cost around here less than $200.00 including soil and grass seed. It sounds like you have wasted more time than is necessary on a simple project. Sorry to flame you but those are the facts as I see them. good luck in your battle.

Hit it with an ax everytime you have a bad day. Piss on it and laugh. I have an "angry stump" that I take my aggression out on. Coming up on year 8. I have a lot of anger, but I will probaby grind it in the long run.:angry2:

Marry bewitched and have her wiggle her nose at the stump in question,
well if that don't work hire ,rent, or borrow a grinder and be done with that
time wasting ,man please you are wearing me out lol.If however you find
bewitched, let me know if she has a sister because talent like that doesn't:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
need be wasted

This will be my 2nd year against the stump.

Bzzzzz >click< : "Paging Captain Ahab, paging Captain Ahab, Please pick up the White Whale courtesy phone. That's the White Whale courtesy phone for Captain Ahab." >click< Bzzzz...

RedlineIt

Short of grinding or using a D6 (or bigger) I'd have saturated the surrounding ground before trying to pull on it. The trouble is that pulling something that large sideways is not energy efficient, thats a huge base with lots of purchase into the ground, it might as well be set in concrete imho. If you have access to a 30+ tonne hydraulic jack and a place to get under it you could try to break it free that way. There are many leverage systems that will give you incredible power applied in the right spots, I understand that you choose to make a project of this and you will be sad when its gone and go look for another release (jk). I don't remember if it was here that I saw the link to the guy who moves and lifts huge granite slabs (trying to figure out Stonehenge) using simple logic and leverage but it should not be hard to google it (I might fer ya if I get the time), but it would give you some good ideas and may prevent you from hurting your machinery. From what I can see of it you have to figure out how to get some lift in there (maybe a heavy duty tri-pod and several block&tackle set-ups). But I do think getting that clay nice and wet will help immensely is loosening things up.
Good luck on yer anger management project and keep us posted (without shouting as mentioned) and keep the pics coming. If I ponder any more ideas I'll post them even if they are dumb :D Sort of looks like fun btw, but then I've rigged and moved a few big things in my time when no one else could figure it out.

:givebeer: :cheers: :givebeer:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Quick edit> Personally I'd back fill it again and start a nice big fire pit on it, might take a bit but then you'd have lots of weenie roasts and a tonne of ash to mix into the 'soil' (with mulch) and get an extra gain out of it. My 0.02$ worth fer da day.

Last edited:
Thanx for sharing Timber. Keep the pics coming. :biggrinbounce2: Stump grinder?, you dont need no stinkin stump grinder!!! I like the fire pit idea but dont fill in the hole just build a bigger rotisserie, you could do a whole cow in that thing.

grind it,remove debris with the backhoe,backfill with dirt and sod,or just dig and pour a footer then slab it over and park the tractor on it.
:hmm3grin2orange:

Go find yourself an old hog feeder

take the lid off flip it upside down over the stump. setstump on fire first. The hog feeder will act as a chimney, and an oven. To keep the heat in and make the burn longer and deeper.. Hard to burn anything from the top down..Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back