The term CAD needs fine tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using chainsaws all my life, but I'm pretty new to the CAD end of it. So far, I'll buy saws I can clean up and tune, then resell for a small profit, to try fund purchasing other saws. So far, I'm only keeping Husqvarna/Jonsered/Stihl, which have some aftermarket support (1990 and above). I regularly have about 6-10 saws in my garage, some a run regularly, some that need a tune to sell, and some that need some work which I'll keep.

At this point, I don't have interest in collecting older saws that have no parts support.
That is why we collect and stash the oder ( older) saws... CUZ, we just might need that part someday. Once in a while this theory works.IMG_20181002_191425.jpg

I'm doing much better now. Don't have nearly as many saws as I used to. The cure for me was that I bought-up most of the saws available around me, and can't seem to find many now. I'm subject to relapse at any time if I get a saw call. :)

Chainsaw acquisition disorder. Or a variant of that like chainsaw addiction disease, etc. If you drop in to this site asking about a three saw plan you're in stage one. When you have more saws than a saw shop, you're probably around stage 3. I think around stage 4 or 5 you build museum. Good luck.

Chainsaw acquisition disorder. Or a variant of that like chainsaw addiction disease, etc. If you drop in to this site asking about a three saw plan you're in stage one. When you have more saws than a saw shop, you're probably around stage 3. I think around stage 4 or 5 you build museum. Good luck.

I must be at Stage 2 CAD, I passed the 3 Saw Plan stage awhile back, and have 5 Saws plus the Wife has a saw, ranging from a little Husky 23 Compact, Top Handle, up to a Husky 3120XP, the 460 Rancher and 266XP, are the closest that I have to being redundant, especially both having 24" bars, but that was intentional, I bought the 266XP new in '91, that saw made a Husky Believer out of me, I will Never part with that saw, and there is No Way that I would leave it in the Pick Up 24/7, and where I live trees in the road are an Occasional hazard, so I bought the 460 Rancher to keep in the truck, it ain't Pretty, but it runs Good, and I got it for a good price.

We Heat almost exclusively with wood, Forced Air Electric is a Real Budget Buster, so my saws aren't "JUST" Toys, but "Fun" Tools. Admittedly, I have "ENOUGH" (is That POSSIBLE;):)) saws to cover any "NEED" I have, but still see a "USE" for a 395XP, 372XP, and a 550XP as the budget allows. Some of the Older "2" series if in Excellent Condition and at the right price could also tempt me, Like a 272XP, or 288XP, maybe a 262XP, I could also be tempted by a Cherry 346XP.

So I'm only a Minor to Moderate case of CAD, probably never have more than 12-15 saws ;):surprised3::):):):)

I tried to explain CAD to my Doctor, and he Nodded, and he said that he understood, and mumbled something about GOLF CLUBS???? WTF is GAD???? SERIOUSLY????

He said that there was no known CURE for CAD/GAD, and said that all he could do was to write a Prescription to Treat the SYMPTOMS of CAD, that I would have to determine myself, what the correct dosage was to TREAT my Current symptoms.

"Honey, I'm going to pick up my Prescription, it's been a Pretty Bad week, Looks like it's gonna take a 395XP, AND a 550XP this week, do you need anything from the store, while I'm in town?"

Doug :cheers:

2 saws + one. 2 for regular use, the one for the monster that can be turned into a custom table or bench. After that it is CAD, or that akin to collecting and storing your poop, so the CIA can't analyze it for its dark secrets.

FirWorkBench2.jpg FirWorkBench3.jpg FirWorkBench8.jpg

Attachments

• FirWorkBench6.jpg
    FirWorkBench6.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 7
I used to have a lot of stress with my job and kept myself sane fixing and collecting saws for balance - I have a room full of saws in my "collection" (about 180 or so) that did run when parked on the shelf. I also have "some" firewood saws (about 30 or so :cool:) plus a bunch of runners (roughly 100?) that are not in the collection but rest on shelves in the garage (no room for cars there, of course).

But my CAD is on the way to recovery - haven't acquired any new saw since January 2018 and sold 30 or so since then. (I do have a number of left-over non-runners to play with, though :p).

I just got another saw. But I figure it was subtraction by addition? An old 372xp. And since I don't cut a ton of firewood, I figure I can sell everything between 40 and 70(except the 3400). So add 1 sell 4.
And then I plan on replacing 2 old small reed valve shelf queens with one old reed valve usin saw.

I mainly just like findin deals and upgrading when I do. Not tryin to accumulate 50 saws.

I'll feel like I beat the habit if I can get down to five or six and maintain a seven or less collection.

Couple of yard saws for trimming, pruning, and maybe some carving some day.
Couple of small work saws for light firewood and small removals.
And the big boy for larger trees....and makin a table I guess.

I bought a couple of chainsaw cases from a guy a few weeks ago.
I picked them up at his house in his garage.
Told him I had about a dozen saws and he asked why. I said same reason you got those 20 fishin poles hangin on the wall.
I'm sure I use each and every one of those dozen saws more than he uses any one of those fishin poles.

My problem is I always have more than one im working on at a time and can't pass up a good deal. I have four on the bench now and picking up another Friday. Not to mention the ones hanging, waiting to be used. I have developed a soft spot for the vintage saws and have a hard time parting with them. Sometimes when money gets tight I'll sell one and give the money to my wife. This keeps her from getting irritated when I buy more. I think part of my problem is I really enjoy working on them and love that moment when you start one that someone had given up on.

I'm actually going to part with a saw - the McCulloch PM310. I'm going to rework it into a rear handle and give it to my grandfather. He wants a smaller saw when the MS362 is overkill for the application.

BUT
I was just given a 46cc Homelite. It has a tank full of stale gas, the oil tank is bone dry, and it pulls 90psi. The piston and rings are scored on the exhaust side, but the cylinder is perfect (at least what I can see throught he exhaust port). There is a complete engine on eBay at the moment that will cost me $40 shipped. TRUCK SAW!!!!!

I am thinking about putting up all my projects on the marketplace and rebooting my CAD to performance/work saws and equipment only. I seem to not be able to do all the cutting I need to do and always seem to be behind on firewood. Time to spend it in the woods and at the splitter instead of on the bench or on arborist site... Putting the saws on the marketplace will definitely feed the beast though haha.

I have no idea how I got by with firewood before I knew how to sharpen or to work on saws.

I joined this site less than a year ago with a 261c and an old 026.

I now have:

2 - 026 Pro
1 - 026
1 - 261c
1 - 360 Pro
1 - 036
1 - Dolmar 6100
1 - 441c
1 - mint 460r
1 - 461
1 - 461r

You guys are hard on my budget...

Edit - what stage does this put me in?

I joined this site less than a year ago with a 261c and an old 026.

I now have:

2 - 026 Pro
1 - 026
1 - 261c
1 - 360 Pro
1 - 036
1 - Dolmar 6100
1 - 441c
1 - mint 460r
1 - 461
1 - 461r

You guys are hard on my budget...

Edit - what stage does this put me in?
I would say you're fine...but you don't even have a top handle saw?
I recommend the Echo 2511T with the 12" bar.... and a spare 14.
20190105_111638.jpg
Takes up a lot less space than those big saws. It'll fit in a duffle bag behind(or under) the seat in the truck.

View attachment 698160
Takes up a lot less space than those big saws. It'll fit in a duffle bag behind(or under) the seat in the truck.

I wont comment on Brand, I've had my Husky 23 Compact, for probably 25 years, and am Happy with it, but I will second Colt's recommendation for getting a little Top Handle, they are very Handy to have around, mine gets more use than I ever would have expected.

Doug :cheers:

View attachment 698160

Yeah. I've been looking at the 2511t as well as a 201c. I like the weight and simplicity of the 2511t, but like the power and bar/chain options of the 201c.

I really want to try a 2511t but Echo bar options limit the brand as a whole. I also prefer Stihl chain over any other brand, so if I could find what I want for the 2511t, I would be all over one. I just haven't had time to sit down and search.

Yeah. I've been looking at the 2511t as well as a 201c. I like the weight and simplicity of the 2511t, but like the power and bar/chain options of the 201c.

I really want to try a 2511t but Echo bar options limit the brand as a whole. I also prefer Stihl chain over any other brand, so if I could find what I want for the 2511t, I would be all over one. I just haven't had time to sit down and search.
I wanted a 201c, but didn't love the price. Ended up getting the Echo 361p instead, at the 20% off sale. Came with a 14" pro-lite bar and 3/8 low profile chain.

Redmax has the similar GZ360(which I believe is the same as Husky's 439), but it's anti-vibe numbers look weak.

Both the 2511 and 361P use the A041 mount, which is pretty common.
Stihl chains are available. But I find them more difficult to sharpen.

Some say the little 2511 needs a quarter inch chain, which probably makes a nicer cut for pruning. But I don't feel it's underpowered with the 3/8 LP, even with a 14" bar.

I understand that this little saw isn't everyone's cup of tea. But I use it quite a bit.

For an occasional climber it's lightweight is a plus.

Pruning, hedge trimming, cutting the occasional bigger log. Just a fun little saw to use, and easy to carry around wherever I might be. Could even throw it in a backpack and would hardly notice the weight.

I guess technically I didn't own any saws before finding these forums. I've worked for a tree cutting company the last 5 winters, so I would just bring one home. I used to use my dads small saws when I was younger before I started tree work. I've used only firewood for heat for the last 20 years. As you can see I now have 7 or 8 saws. I hope I have completed my collection, time to start porting some now. 272xp is the first on the list for porting and maybe the 246. Appointment in May w/ a porter has been made. CAD is real

Back