The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, this will give em something to laugh about and leave you alone.

heheheh *snort*!!!

Think I was 20 even last I tried one of those things..I bet I could do a good...two or three whammos with one before nap time! heheheheheh..or I would miss and it would throw me off and flip me over like a judo move...that's proly more like it...

They sure can bust wood though, that's for sure!

wish I had 100 posts.....well I may be on the way

Funny thing is my neighbor just picked one up. he said great on silver maple. did not use on much else yet

And here's some dogwood to add to the tryout stew. Bottom two rows need splittin. This is most likely the best wood on the farm for going and getting some wood to burn that has high BTUs.. I usually just cut to size and stack it as is because I can burn a big chunk, load from the top, makes nice all nighters. Most of the time I wait until it is standing dead, but I wanted some semi fresh cut for the comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_121522.jpg
    IMG_20141002_121522.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 31
I don't remember exactly how long ago I modified the 8 pound maul, about 20 years ago.
I used a cutoff wheel in a skill saw to slice down from the splitting edge about an inch and a quarter, taking away a little over half of the thickness then cut in from the side to make a ledge. I then used a 16 inch cutoff saw to remove a big chunk off the same side of the hammer end starting at the far edge of the hammer face and angling down to even with the eye. This cut off wedge was then welded on to the hammer side opposite from where it was cut. After trying it out I made the ledge wider by cutting more off and making it slightly V shaped then welding another small fitted bar of steel into the groove.
The final ledge was just a hair over a half inch wide and the thinned part of the blade extended about a inch. I never weighed the head to see if all the cutting and welding made for a gain or loss on the head, but it felt the same.
A neighbor got one of the lever axes a few years ago and came over to show it. We dug out my modified maul and compared how they split. They both worked best in solid, hard wood. Mine worked a little better simply because it weighed more. Silver maple didn't split well with either although it pops apart when a plain ax is used with a flip. I think that wood isn't hard enough to stop the ledge quick enough to create the flip.

No I am in Iowa. No big deal, just had a laugh about the min 100 post deal.....heh

I need more straight grained stuff, most is too big and knarly and I love my homebuilt splitter....

Neighbor also has a super split, kind of jealous of that. But I can handle the large stuff easier with my vertical.....May try a homebuilt Super Split this winter if I get bored. Got some good machinist friends....

No I am in Iowa. No big deal, just had a laugh about the min 100 post deal.....heh

I need more straight grained stuff, most is too big and knarly and I love my homebuilt splitter....

Neighbor also has a super split, kind of jealous of that. But I can handle the large stuff easier with my vertical.....May try a homebuilt Super Split this winter if I get bored. Got some good machinist friends....
Ok just checking. The original Leveraxe disappeared in Ohio to a member who was a newbie/lurker, hence the minimum post rule. I wouldnt be surprised to see it turn up at a rummage sale sometime. If you are going to spend time on here it won't take that long to get to 100 posts. But If you personally know someone who has one give it a try and post your thoughts here.

When using it, doesn't hurt to help the flip along with a little twist of the wrist just as the ax enters the wood. I noticed the folks that like it the least are the ones that fight the flip and the ones that try to grip too loosely. Just grip normally and swing fast, a slow swing won't do the job.
I'll check with my neighbor and see if he would be interested in selling his. I haven't seen him using it the last couple of years.

ive noticed the fiskars will have kinda the same effect if you hold it at a bit of a angle. i wonder if something could be made so that the head rotates but the handle doesnt....maybe something the maker has thought of already. im sure it would utimatly add to the already high price of this axe.

This weekend I'll get the following cut for testing: white birch, red maple, red oak, white spruce (knotty), aspen, cedar, tamarack, and Norway pine. Also bur oak if I can find one big enough to warrant splitting. None of these are that hard to split but will give an idea how it works with various species.

This weekend I'll get the following cut for testing: white birch, red maple, red oak, white spruce (knotty), aspen, cedar, tamarack, and Norway pine. Also bur oak if I can find one big enough to warrant splitting. None of these are that hard to split but will give an idea how it works with various species.

It only really matters if you are testing it side-by-side with a competitive tool (Fiskars, Monster Maul, one of the expensive European tools mentioned in the anti-Fiskars threads, some yellow handled thing from Menard's, etc.).

You could go back and test those tools on the same wood a few months later and get different results.

Philbert

It only really matters if you are testing it side-by-side with a competitive tool (Fiskars, Monster Maul, one of the expensive European tools mentioned in the anti-Fiskars threads, some yellow handled thing from Menard's, etc.). You could go back and test those tools on the same wood a few months later and get different results. What do you use now?

I am sure it will split stuff, but how does it compare with . . . . ?

Philbert

I plan on doing it that way, with the various wood busters here. Same wood during the session. Species by species.

When using it, doesn't hurt to help the flip along with a little twist of the wrist just as the ax enters the wood. I noticed the folks that like it the least are the ones that fight the flip and the ones that try to grip too loosely. Just grip normally and swing fast, a slow swing won't do the job.
I'll check with my neighbor and see if he would be interested in selling his. I haven't seen him using it the last couple of years.

How did he get that leveraxe?

How did he get that leveraxe?
His nephew, who was stationed in Germany, brought it home with him as a Christmas present.
I don't remember if he said where the nephew purchased it.
He isn't going to burn wood this year, said he's to old to mess with it, but hasn't offered to sell any of his saws.

Back