The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pound for pound, one of the loudest saws out there...seems the combination of the RPM/pitch and the location of the muffler makes these very powerful (dbA anyway) saws.

Mark

I've got a 10-10 from about 1980 I think is the year. A couple of weekends ago I dragged the family out to help me cut some fire wood. I usually take a couple of chainsaws in case I hit a rock, pinch a saw or some other stupid trick. After sawing with one of my fine Stihl chainsaws, I put the ear plugs-in and cranked the McCulloch. My wife and kids had never heard that saw run before and it was a blast seeing their reaction to it. It cut GREAT, but you are right - pound for pound, it's got to be the loudest chainsaw out there. On our day out, there was no question it was a chainsaw in the woods, not a weedeater.

BTW, saw has an 18 inch bar, spikes and I was bucking up an old dead oak that was about 22 inches in diameter. I'd bury the saw and it would lug right through the wood.

Great saw!

Bill

Growing up in a Homelite home...

I did too. My Dad bought a new Homelite Super XL with 20 inch bar. It was a red Homelite. He cut a boat load of firewood over the years. My brother has it now and from time to time drags it out - great saw too.

I had a buddy in high school and his Dad had a new McCulloch 10-10 and we'd go out and cut, Homelite and McCulloch. For some reason, I always liked the McCulloch better. My first chainsaw was a McCulloch 610 an uncle gave me. A year or so ago, I bought the 10-10 I have now and did so if nothing else to have a link to the past. Those were great times.

The 10-10 is a terrific chainsaw.

Bill

I'm supposed to go pick up a 10-10S this afternoon. It's a Craigslist thing so it's not set in stone if he'll be there but he sounded sincere. I'm not sure when they were made but I'd imagine they were one of the latest of the 10s.

I'm supposed to go pick up a 10-10S this afternoon. It's a Craigslist thing so it's not set in stone if he'll be there but he sounded sincere. I'm not sure when they were made but I'd imagine they were one of the latest of the 10s.

Yah, the last generation of the 10-10. Kinda like a factory hot rod .... you should enjoy it! Post pix or it didn't happen! :D

attachment.php
Yah, the last generation of the 10-10. Kinda like a factory hot rod .... you should enjoy it! Post pix or it didn't happen! :D

You're correct about the hot rod part. This will be my 2nd 10-10S. I still have the 1st one, pictured.

Great saw ...

Looking for a 10-10S so that our Park Interpretive program will have the essence of McCulloch - the sound - and still be able to use it if we need to for real work.

We'll see one come by one day when we have some spare $$. In the meantime, we have many other projects to keep us busy.

Working on a GTG for Nov 2012. Contact Eccentric if interested in helping organize. Bothe Park about 70 miles N of San Francisco.

Looking for a 10-10S so that our Park Interpretive program will have the essence of McCulloch - the sound - and still be able to use it if we need to for real work.

We'll see one come by one day when we have some spare $$. In the meantime, we have many other projects to keep us busy.

Working on a GTG for Nov 2012. Contact Eccentric if interested in helping organize. Bothe Park about 70 miles N of San Francisco.
Count me in I'll bring some big yellows. I'll contact E

Thanks
Cascade Saw

Well, the fellow was true to his word, he met me where he said he would with the saw. I brought along a couple of small saws in case he wanted to take one in trade but he was needing the cash so he didn't trade. He listed the saw as non-running but when he fueled it up it took right off! So I got a better deal than I thought I would. The saw cleaned up real nice but I still haven't taken a pic of the latest one yet. I adjusted the carb a little bit so it would idle better and sharpened the chain. I think all this saw needs is run a little. It looks exactly like my other one, but I'll take a pic or two tomorrow and see if it looks the same.

attachment.php

Okay, since you insisted, I finally got around to taking a pic.

It's still got a little stutter when you don't let it warm up before you use it. I'm hoping to just run it awhile and maybe the fresh fuel might clean it up a bit. I've done that before, sometimes it works, sometimes you have to dismantle it and clean it up. The airbox and outside of carb look very clean compared to some saws I've purchased.

Thanks! Nice score! Wow, that would look great next to my PM700 & PM800 .... :laugh:

I needs to find one .... :eek:uttahere2:

I bought the other one at Croy Creek last year for $35. Every now and then one will pop up. This one popped up right after I told my wife I wasn't gonna be able to buy any more chainsaws for a while!
Ted, I'm not sure why the buyers are so turned off on my 031. It's about as good as they get. Must be my description, I try not to oversell, maybe I undersold this one!

Last edited:

That'll be good to have a 10-10S in the stable of work/demonstration saws for the park. You've seen a couple 10-series Macs (PM700 and SP-81) used in the park already, so you know they will do the job! Here's my PM700 being ran in the park by some short, heavy set eccentric fellow...

BotheFPG4-29-2012002AaronthemightyMAC.jpg

BotheFPG4-29-2012023ArronbackcuttingfailedOak.jpg

Count me in I'll bring some big yellows. I'll contact E

Thanks
Cascade Saw

Looks like the cat's out of the bag.:laugh:

Lots of planning to do. I need to talk to folks that have put on successful GTG's so I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing here. First weekend of November will be coming soon...

Posted this in the McCulloch thread (on page 1010):

photobucket-6902-1327904501861.jpg

photobucket-2763-1327904518632.jpg

Here's the 10-10A that I donated to the Stumpbroke raffle. Unclemustashe has it now.

I'll have another 10-10A like this one soon. One's coming my way from a friend. I've missed the raffle saw since I sent it away. Gotta have a 10-10 in the stable.:cool2:

Here's my contribution to the "unofficial" 10-10 love fest. As mentioned earlier (or maybe in another thread?), a guy brought me three of em -- all with recoil issues right outta the gate. Said if I got one running he'd pay me for my time and effort. If I got two running I could take my pick. Got two running and didn't even touch the third one. This one had the best compression, so...

attachment.php

attachment.php

By far my most gratifying "freebie" to date. Would really like to get a more respectable b/c setup for it if anyone has something more appropriate. Original would be great -- even used, but that may be a stretch.

Poge

I have several as well, but this Pro Mac 10-10S is the nicest.

Mac10-10S009.jpg

This is the only other one I can find a picture of.

SandcastPoulans002.jpg

recent haul

Here is the latest bunch of 10-10's I picked up from a local sawshop's bone pile. One is even a 10-10E (albeit missing a few bits). the 360 Homey in the background is a prior acquisition, needs a carb kit, to get it in top running shape. Of the 10-10's, one runner, one near runner, and 2 parts machines my buddy from work has a 10-10E he is restoring to full operation, and this will either be another project, or parts. The other one is an older 10-10A RHP.:rock:

Pro Mac 10-10S manual

So,

I just picked up my first chain saw ever, Pro Mac 10-10S? its been sitting awhile from what the guy said, so it doesnt start.
Since I am a newbie to saws, what would you recommend doing first? I am pretty mechanically inclined so.. I am sure its gonna need new fuel, new plug and??

Also, can someone share an owners manual? I see buttons and knobs and levers? would like to know what they all do.

Most appreciated.

So,

I just picked up my first chain saw ever, Pro Mac 10-10S? its been sitting awhile from what the guy said, so it doesnt start.
Since I am a newbie to saws, what would you recommend doing first? I am pretty mechanically inclined so.. I am sure its gonna need new fuel, new plug and??

Also, can someone share an owners manual? I see buttons and knobs and levers? would like to know what they all do.

Most appreciated.

Welcome to AS! PM sent ..

:cheers:

Back