The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine.
IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

It runs, but I haven't really had a chance to mess with it.

Here is mine, looking to date....

Hey there I am new to the site but not old saws. Below are pics of my 10-10. Model # 60001, serial # 10-11809. Mine seems to have an uncommon airfilter cover in that it is all yellow with just black letter and the Mac logo. Even the specs on the Mike Acres site shows a different cover in the pic for this model and all the IPL's I have found show one too. Don't know if this is an early production run or not. Can anyone provide any insight into this?

Saw is all original and runs but I need to rebuild the carb. I got it for 10 bucks and then set it aside for a couple of years while I finished restoring my 250. Just pulled it out and getting ready to get it restored.

c20aef82.jpg

798be228.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

Hey there I am new to the site but not old saws. Below are pics of my 10-10. Model # 60001, serial # 10-11809. Mine seems to have an uncommon airfilter cover in that it is all yellow with just black letter and the Mac logo. Even the specs on the Mike Acres site shows a different cover in the pic for this model and all the IPL's I have found show one too. Don't know if this is an early production run or not. Can anyone provide any insight into this?

Saw is all original and runs but I need to rebuild the carb. I got it for 10 bucks and then set it aside for a couple of years while I finished restoring my 250. Just pulled it out and getting ready to get it restored.

Thanks,
Tom

Hiya Tom ... welcome to AS!

Aaron will be along at any moment to tell you all you need to know about that saw. All I can contribute is that it probably doesn't have an automatic oiler, as I believe those carried a 'designation' with them. Looks to be in very good overall shape, though.

Hiya Tom ... welcome to AS!

Aaron will be along at any moment to tell you all you need to know about that saw. All I can contribute is that it probably doesn't have an automatic oiler, as I believe those carried a 'designation' with them. Looks to be in very good overall shape, though.

Yep. That's an early LH start 10-10 made around 1970. The auto oiler equipped saw would be a 10-10A. Earlier 10-10 (and 10-10A) saws were RH start (1968-70 IIRC). 10-series earlier than that were not 10-10's, but 1-10's, 2-10's, 3-10's, etc. Most of those had AF covers with 'beveled' edges.

Here's the exact IPL for your saw. Notice that the AF cover and tank cover are black in the IPL, but the lettering/logo are the same (just in 'negative' to yours). I've seen a few 'all yellow' 10-10 saws like yours. Seen a few LH start 10-10A's that were 'all yellow' similar to yours as well. Your saw looks nice enough to me that I'd suggest you just clean it up and return it to running condition. It's your saw however, and if you want to do a full restore with a repaint then have at it. Post pics afterwards.:msp_thumbup:

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McC...600001-MAC-10-10-12-70-to-05-72-IPL-92374.pdf

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but I'm not going to search the whole thing again right now; there are at least 14 different model numbers assigned to the 10-10 saws, with the letter variations (e.g. 600013A, 600013B, etc.) there are at least 45 different permutations.

600002, B, D, E, F, G, H, J, U
600012, D
600013, A, B, E, K, U
600014, A, B, C, E, F, K, U
600111, B, C, D, F, -02, -03, -04, -05, -06

400484 - OEM Mac 10-10 power head

In addition, some models had up to 6 different extensions (60005 B11-, A12-, 13-, A13-, 14-, 15-)

All in all, there were a lot of different machines sold over many years, all generically labled as 10-10 in one form or another.

Mark

Can you say SCORE! A forester friend of mine just gave me 3 saws, a PM700, a 10-10A RH, and a red-headed stepchild-044. I may gift that one to my wife's nephew, as he is more of a Stihl fan.
attachment.php

Last edited:

c20aef82.jpg

798be228.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

Looks like mineView attachment 242425

The 700 appears to have been ridden hard, that is not an original clutch cover for that one.

Mark

I appreciate the expert eye on that, I will clean them up and see what they need. I plan on using them as daily drivers, so I don't think I am going to repaint, unless I need to teardown completely for a repair or something. I will post a tear-down report when I have had a chance to run comp checks, and basic checkups on the macs anyways. I will be offing the Stihl on my wife's nephew, I would rather work on the macs.....Parts are cheaper, and I like how they run compared to some of the newer saws. The B/C on the 700 is in good shape, and the chain is almost new. I have 4 other 10-10 parts saws, I will be robbing a front handle, and maybe a filter cover as well. I think they will clean up good though. Just been sitting in a shop for a long time unused.

Here is the best 10-10 I have.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those are purty purty pictures Mr.Bowsaw.
A fellow I work with father passed away recently and he was cleaning out some of his "old chainsaw junk" which included a bow that fits perfectly on my 10-10s.This fellow couldn't believe I was serious about buying something he intended on throwing out and he gave it to me along with a worn out 10-10, and I mean worn out, that little saw earned it's keep.It doesn't have much compression and no spark, but it's complete and I was grateful to get it.The funniest thing about the whole deal was there was also a Stihl orange bow in his Dad's shed that he kept.That orange paint sure must be some good stuff.
I'm going to have to break down and buy a decent camera so I can put up some pictures of the 10-10s and a Homelite xl12 that has a bow on it, another strong runner, but missing too much paint to be called purty.The thing I dislike about the Homelite is the manual only oiler.
This same fellow also gave me a wiz 55 with a bow on it, but it's locked up.His Dad cut pulpwood for a living and he really got everything out of his saws.I have my eye out for a bow for my Poulan 3400 now.I like the bows.They bring back some fond memories of my days as a swamper for my own Pop and his brother when they cut pulpwood.We always had mayonaise crackers for lunch and water out of a mason jar kept in a brown paper sack and I got to carry his old wiz55 back to the truck every day.Man I hated it when I had to start kindergarten.I was getting all the education I needed being in the woods with them!

Sorry for the rambles, just meant to say nice pictures.

Picked up 2 more yesterday, a super 10-10A and a SP55

Photo0481.jpg
A nice couple saws there HJ! Our men's church group had a saw maint 101 workshop yesterday morning, kind of a mini GTG, after our round of B/C maint and basic saw tunage, we went outside and cut some oak(green), and some ash. There was my PM700, a Stihl 028WB, and an 044. The PM700 has a 28" bar with full skip chisel chain, the 044 had a 32" bar with semi-skip chisel chain. We went head to head, me and the 044, there wasn't a lot of hope for the stihl, longer bar, more ore teeth in the cut, with bars mostly buried the Mac walked away from the stihl. If b/c's had been matched up closer mebbe would have been a fairer comparison. The Mac sure pulls harder. Oh, BTW, my other 10-10A, looks good, has good comp, spark, just will need a carb kit.
Primed directly with a shot of gas, and it popped right off, first
Pull! Going to be another good runner,
For 10.95:msp_thumbup:

Hey Jim - I have never heard of an SP55, are you sure about that one? If so, I might be willing to make it worth your while...

Going back up a few posts, I have a1969(?) brochure that shows the Mac 10-10 and 10-10A, the 10-10 has the yellow top and the 10-10A has the black top just like several photo's in this thread show them.

Mark

Hey Jim - I have never heard of an SP55, are you sure about that one? If so, I might be willing to make it worth your while...

Going back up a few posts, I have a1969(?) brochure that shows the Mac 10-10 and 10-10A, the 10-10 has the yellow top and the 10-10A has the black top just like several photo's in this thread show them.

Mark

You are of course correct as usual, there is no SP55, I was just testing you guys to see who caught it first(ahem ahem) just to see who the real McCulloch experts are. :D Of course I meant a PM55, but with all the #'s and variations it is easy to get confused.:bang:

A nice couple saws there HJ! Our men's church group had a saw maint 101 workshop yesterday morning, kind of a mini GTG, after our round of B/C maint and basic saw tunage, we went outside and cut some oak(green), and some ash. There was my PM700, a Stihl 028WB, and an 044. The PM700 has a 28" bar with full skip chisel chain, the 044 had a 32" bar with semi-skip chisel chain. We went head to head, me and the 044, there wasn't a lot of hope for the stihl, longer bar, more ore teeth in the cut, with bars mostly buried the Mac walked away from the stihl. If b/c's had been matched up closer mebbe would have been a fairer comparison. The Mac sure pulls harder. Oh, BTW, my other 10-10A, looks good, has good comp, spark, just will need a carb kit.
Primed directly with a shot of gas, and it popped right off, first
Pull! Going to be another good runner,
For 10.95:msp_thumbup:

I think you would be pleasantly surprised to know that that PM700 would still have walked away from the 044 with the longer bar and chain, where the 044 would have bested you would be with a shorter bar and chain. My SP81 with a 24 inch bar is a little slower in the cut than my ms441 with a 25, but strap on 32 inch bars and chains and the SP81 easily walks away. I know there is a little displacement advantage with the mac but the 441 is a lot newer by about 40 years.

Last edited:
I think you would be pleasantly surprised to know that that PM700 would still have walked away form the 044 with the longer bar and chain, where the 044 would have bested you would be with a shorter bar and chain. My SP81 with a 24 inch bar is a little slower in the cut than my ms441 with a 25, but strap on 32 inch bars and chains and the SP81 easily walks away. I know there is a little displacement advantage with the mac but the 441 is a lot newer by about 40 years.

I've had similar experiences running my SP-81 and PM700 alongside 272XP and 372XP Husqvarnas. The new saws are faster in the smaller wood, but......:D

Probably explains why it faded away. I've never run a big saw, but those I've run, vibration has never been an issue.

I think that the EPA, CARB, more mechanized logging practices, and drastic reductions in logging on Federal lands had more to do with the demise of McCulloch and Homelite than anything else. By todays standards the Mac 10 series can stand with any new saw of similar size, and not weigh much more than a plastic fantastic, and will still be running in 50 more years, they were just built to last.

Back