The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still new too working on saws, however I've rebuilt many 2 stroke snowmobile engines. I always have to press or tap out the pins and almost always can install new pins simply by hand. Like you I've noticed that they don't necessarily feel lose, but can easily be moved back and forth.

It's just the way it is. I've never experienced any sort of problem.

I was thinking it should be as snug as the old one but I'm sure the old one is probably the original one that's been in there for 45+ years and not well lubricated when I removed it. The new one was heavily lubricated for an easy install. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, just trying to think optimistically.

The manual suggests heating the piston to expand the pin bosses for accepting the new pin as installed with Mac's special tool(s) and an arbor press. It's a tight fit.
I'll second that, having done a couple press fit pins. The press fit should be very tight otherwise once the engine is at temperature the pin will walk and failure will occur. The expansion rate of aluminum (piston) is greater than that of the steel (wrist pin)

Okay, well I suppose I could try and find a different "new" wrist pin. Unless I use the old one, which is still in good shape IMO. I know you're not supposed to reuse bearings but what about the wrist pin?

Re-use the original wrist pin or you will be doomed to failure. The chainsawr piston pins will not work, it is documented earlier in this thread or in the McCulloch thread...someone had multiple failures due to the wrist pin sliding out.

If you don't heat the rod end to enlarge the hole when installing the wrist pin you only get two or at best three fittings before they loosen up and will require the rod to be replaced. This means you must pay attention and install the piston correctly since the intake side skirt is slightly wider than the exhaust side and they will not work if reversed.

Mark

Trying to grab another couple 10 series saws locally. Guy doesn't know what he has. He sent me a pic but it's tough to tell what one is and I can't zoom in well enough. One is definitely a right hand start 2-10. Other one has long black clutch cover, black recoil side cover, black brake handle, and a yellow oil tank cover.

I'm thinking it could only be a pm700 or 10-10s? But seems like most 10-10s have a black oil tank cover? Any other saws with this color combo? I can zoom in enough to see newer "M" logo and the black and silver diagonal model sticker on af cover.

Well I picked the saw up and 3 others with it. It ended up being a beautiful 10-10s. The paint is in fantastic condition. A quick tank flush and fresh fuel and it fired right up.

With it I also got a well used, but complete 2-10. Also a couple Homelites.20181025_210008.jpg 20181025_205956.jpg

BCF737B9-58A6-4CA9-9943-A5324992A00B.png 666C0E8F-2973-42B5-BA3F-2D96AED0A55A.png Mark,
I am so sorry I never got back ahold of you about the wrap handle. I have been away working and also picked up another McCulloch. My local guy also hook me up with some NOS parts I was needing. He acually had a brand new 10-10 right hand full wrap handle he gave to me for $15!
The saw I picked up is a McCulloch Super Pro 80. It is a great runner just doing some cosmetic work to it. I have ran a couple tanks of gas through it but I think there is something wrong with the clutch. I took it apart but couldn’t find anything. So I ordered a new spring, thinking it is weak.
Here is a couple pictures of my Pro MAC 55 and my SP 80.

Thanks Mark!
I got my new clutch spring in today and it fix my problem.
Both saw are now running great. Need to get out and cut some more wood now!

well some of yall have probably seen my new saw in the other McCulloch thread, but when I was doing research on it I ran across this thread dedicated to the 10-10. It is a 10-10S special edition bow saw I picked up. I ran it yesterday and it seemed to cut and run well. I do need to get a new chain for it. does anyone know how many drive links/size the chain would be. I did not have a chance to take it off when I was out at the farm yesterday. It does need a good cleaning but does not appear to have been used and abused just looking at the cosmetics. does anyone know when they did the special editions? my neighbors got an ear full of the old 10-10 yesterday :)
10 10 1.png 10 10 2.png

That’s a nice looking 10-10S! You will have to just pull the chain off and count the drive links or take it to a place that makes chains and let them make a chain for you.

Back