The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Friends, I recently picked up a few Mac's, including two 10-10A's, a PM10-10 and a PM610. Was just wondering if these saws can be more closely dated thru the serial number (like the Homelites). The PM10-10 has a Walbro SDC with a production date of 2/76, so if original, this saw was likely manufactured only a few months later. Thanks in advance. Steve

Dear Friends, I recently picked up a few Mac's, including two 10-10A's, a PM10-10 and a PM610. Was just wondering if these saws can be more closely dated thru the serial number (like the Homelites). The PM10-10 has a Walbro SDC with a production date of 2/76, so if original, this saw was likely manufactured only a few months later. Thanks in advance. Steve

I can likely close in on the dates if the tags are still on the saws. There should be a 6 digit model number on th tag starting with the number 6 like 600014. There's a 2 digit number and I can't remember if it's a prefix number or at the end of the serial number that will be 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16.

The model number and the 2 digit number will give a date range for a publications guide. There are some errors in that document but it should get you into the right time frame
I've attached the file and it's not too hard to figure out if you want to take a shot at it. I think the errors mentioned are all in older large frame saws from the '60's.

Attachments

• publications guide 1998.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Hi Tim, Thank you for the list. So I guess the closest it can be narrowed down to is the production run date range? So in the case of the PM10-10, model #600014U, serial prefix 12; is 6/77-9/82. Thank you. Steve

Very clever Tim - I never thought about using it that way.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Hi Tim, Thank you for the list. So I guess the closest it can be narrowed down to is the production run date range? So in the case of the PM10-10, model #600014U, serial prefix 12; is 6/77-9/82. Thank you. Steve

That's the best I could do. I'm pretty sure there's no coding in the serial numbers, at least none we've been able to find.

I feel pretty confident the numbers could be matched to a date somewhere in MAC's system but those records were likely destroyed.

It only makes sense for the purpose of potential safety recalls.

If anyone has earlier publication guides between 1972 and 1998 they would share it would be great.

I have a list from Poulan that gives start / stop production and date obsolete for a bunch of models including all the rebrands. I think it's dated around 1990

Tom Hahn over on FB McCulloch N.A.might have something like that.As I understand it he was a Msac dealer up until 1989.He's been posting a lot of Mac info in PDF.I've downloaded some of the publications.
Ed

New to me 1975 MAC 10-10A bought Saturday at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $20. They couldn't get is started so gave it to me for a "deal".

First let me say a big thank you to all you guys willing to share your knowledge about these great machines. Your contribution will help me keep this beast alive for many years to come.

The Details:
Model 600002U SN 14-11721 looks to have been a small production window for this specific model based on the 1998 Pubs Guide. Also came with the user manual and warranty card which the original owner dated 10/23/1975.
I counted chains and it's got 61 links so it must be the .354.

The Effort:
Emptied the old gas (was the color of maple syrup) put in fresh gas and 12 pulls later she fired right up. Runs strong. Restarts on first pull when hot.
The oiler wasnt working so I followed the recommendations from this forum. Filled the oil tank with diesel and let it sit. (for 12 hours because I was impatient) Fired it up with the diesel still in it and the oiler started pumping when I ran it WOT. Emptied the diesel, put in bar oil and confimred it was pumping oil fine!

My questions:
1) Does anyone have an electronic copy of the shop/service manual? #34 is the version applicable to this model.
2) Does anyone hava a spare set of chain guides for this model? That's the only part it's missing and I see some damage to the housing so I'd like to have things in top order.
3) Does anyone have an NOS "dome" air filter? Mine takes that unique, unicorn filter. The current filter isn't in bad shape but is probably the original 43+ year old filter. I can see two holes in it.

I don't see any of these parts on ebay right now so I'm willing to pay fair price and shipping for the parts needed to put this beast into top working condition. I plan to exercise it at deer camp this spring.

Thanks so much!
Jason

Pics of my now growing yellow collection:

Attachments

• IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Tom Hahn over on FB McCulloch N.A.might have something like that.As I understand it he was a Msac dealer up until 1989.He's been posting a lot of Mac info in PDF.I've downloaded some of the publications.
Ed
Hey Ed, which website is that? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

New to me 1975 MAC 10-10A bought Saturday at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $20. They couldn't get is started so gave it to me for a "deal".

First let me say a big thank you to all you guys willing to share your knowledge about these great machines. Your contribution will help me keep this beast alive for many years to come.

The Details:
Model 600002U SN 14-11721 looks to have been a small production window for this specific model based on the 1998 Pubs Guide. Also came with the user manual and warranty card which the original owner dated 10/23/1975.
I counted chains and it's got 61 links so it must be the .354.

The Effort:
Emptied the old gas (was the color of maple syrup) put in fresh gas and 12 pulls later she fired right up. Runs strong. Restarts on first pull when hot.
The oiler wasnt working so I followed the recommendations from this forum. Filled the oil tank with diesel and let it sit. (for 12 hours because I was impatient) Fired it up with the diesel still in it and the oiler started pumping when I ran it WOT. Emptied the diesel, put in bar oil and confimred it was pumping oil fine!

My questions:
1) Does anyone have an electronic copy of the shop/service manual? #34 is the version applicable to this model.
2) Does anyone hava a spare set of chain guides for this model? That's the only part it's missing and I see some damage to the housing so I'd like to have things in top order.
3) Does anyone have an NOS "dome" air filter? Mine takes that unique, unicorn filter. The current filter isn't in bad shape but is probably the original 43+ year old filter. I can see two holes in it.

I don't see any of these parts on ebay right now so I'm willing to pay fair price and shipping for the parts needed to put this beast into top working condition. I plan to exercise it at deer camp this spring.

Thanks so much!
Jason

Pics of my now growing yellow collection:

Great deal Jason.

Here's a link to the service manual. It's 45mb

https://app.box.com/s/h94pyagrb0ee7ufp4rzn

10 minutes and about 50 cents worth of Fel-Pro 3019 and a dab of Dirko at the butt joint. Just cut an 1/8" strip from the edge of the roll of material with an X-Acto knife and thread it into place. A dab of sealant at the ends. Perfect fit. Done.

0411191655_resized.jpg

Well......, not exactly. It wept all the way around the tank except at the sealant. You can see in the pic that it conformed to the tank ridge there. I suspect I cut the material too thick to conform to the ridge or it had just become too dry sitting on the shelf to wrap around the ridge for a seal. My last one on a PM700 is still holding, but that was a couple years ago. And frankly, I did a much worse job cutting the gasket on that one..., downright sloppy actually. I do recall it being thinner so I'll try again with a thinner one and see if it holds. I hear Motoseal is a remedy for these tank seams even with old gaskets. Can anyone vouch for the longevity of the Motoseal in this application? Would rather spend 10 bux on a tube o' that than a damned gasket if it'll work.

0414191135_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back