The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know the part number and I'll make enquiries.
I have already passed on a "few" part numbers for them to look for but I'm not holding out a lot of hope as they commented about having cherry picked larger NOS parts and that makes me think that they overlooked a lot of the "smalls".
66774 air filter,89458 ,air filter 86397. Any of these should do they're bigger than the ones you can buy on line.

89435-B is the whole short block assembly for the 57cc 10 series saws, fwiw. How are you arriving at that part number? The diameter is corresponds to the 57cc series cylinder bore and I do see some rings on ebay with that part number. Just curious.

This may sound really stupid but would the .005 difference hurt anything once the end gaps were filed to spec? That's if they're the same thickness as the correct rings

This may sound really stupid but would the .005 difference hurt anything once the end gaps were filed to spec? That's if they're the same thickness as the correct rings

where is this .005 difference at? Like Pogo said, if the dimensions of the ring are correct then part #s really don’t matter. I used .020 over rings in my stock bore pro 10-10 and just filed the gap to spec.

I don't know man. That's why I asked. It seems to me that they'd work fine. They're the same thickness as the good rings I have and honestly to the naked eye they're exactly the same. I'm probably going to use them when I need them.

So according to Mike acres site a pm 55 has a chrome bore and a 10-10s has an iron bore. I saw earlier someone said the 57cc saws were all chrome I think. Who is correct? My spare cylinder is in good shape but below the ports on each side it's darker but very smooth. Is that normal?

Attachments

• 20200108_210418.jpg
    20200108_210418.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200108_210407.jpg
    20200108_210407.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
So according to Mike acres site a pm 55 has a chrome bore and a 10-10s has an iron bore. I saw earlier someone said the 57cc saws were all chrome I think. Who is correct? My spare cylinder is in good shape but below the ports on each side it's darker but very smooth. Is that normal?

Use a magnet to see if the cylinder is chrome plated or a plain iron liner.

There's always this as well.

It is recommended that chrome plated rings not be installed in chrome plated liners under any circumstances. Catastrophic destruction will likely result. Plain cast iron-manganese phosphate coated, or molybdenum rings may be used. It is normally difficult to detect visually in a used cylinder if it is chrome plated or not.

If any doubt exists, a solution of copper sulfate (CuSO4), which can be purchased at any drugstore or chemical supply house, should be applied with a cotton swab to an area of the liner. If the liner is not plated, a copper color will appear. If it is chrome plated no change will take place. Never use chrome in chrome.

Since there shouldn't be any iron in a chrome plated chainsaw cylinder I think the magnet trick will work for identification.

Back