The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the 10-10 auto out for a run on the weekend at my uncle's cabin. Cut about 2 cords of wood with it, mix of hemlock, vine maple, big leaf maple, birch and alder.
I can see why these things have a cult following, its a nice little saw that has no problem with the 24" bar. I think I put 7 tanks of gas through it and it fired up really easy every time. Just need some bucking spikes and it'll be a perfect firewood saw.

View attachment 803004

View attachment 803005

It got me excited to rebuild the 7-10

I think for the money at the time that saw was sold you could do alot worse! Honestly you hit the nail on the head on why the old 10-10a has such a following, it'll do what its intended purpose was and do it well! And for any where between 10$ and 100$ you can buy them all day long in any configuration.
There are bigger,sexy ,more powerful Macs but just like women we always go back to the one that never lets us down.

My only complaint is the lack of anti-vibe, my hands were buzzing by the end of the day. The big saws I run don't rev as high and don't usually give me that issue, but I think with some tubing/rubber on the handle bar it would be a lot better. Heck, the brake even worked the one time the saw kicked when I was cutting some tangled limbs.

My only complaint is the lack of anti-vibe, my hands were buzzing by the end of the day. The big saws I run don't rev as high and don't usually give me that issue, but I think with some tubing/rubber on the handle bar it would be a lot better. Heck, the brake even worked the one time the saw kicked when I was cutting some tangled limbs.

Alot say the vibrations of the 54cc are alot worse than your 7-10 will be. Not sure why but yeah the 70s seem a better balanced engine or just different frequency perhaps.

I put rubber hose from milking machines on the bare handles and it's very nice

Ok so I'm getting back to tinkering around with my 2-10 I mentioned several pages back. Saw is pretty clean. After flushing tank it fired pretty easy on fresh fuel but idle was racing quite a bit.

So tonight pulled carb and took it apart. Pretty clean inside, probably needs a diaphragm but should run as is. Needle was sticking a bit so I cleaned that. I wanna make sure it's gonna run ok before ordering a diaphragm. Started pretty easy again tonight but still racing at idle.

Can someone tell me what the initial settings should be for lo mix and hi mix screws? The lo mix is kinda a funky thing run off the throttle shaft. It screwed in 6 turns and still hadn't bottomed, so I have no clue on that. The hi mix screw was set at .75 turns out.

I know someone is gonna say throw a sdc on there, but I want to give this carb a shot, so please help.

Ok so I'm getting back to tinkering around with my 2-10 I mentioned several pages back. Saw is pretty clean. After flushing tank it fired pretty easy on fresh fuel but idle was racing quite a bit.

So tonight pulled carb and took it apart. Pretty clean inside, probably needs a diaphragm but should run as is. Needle was sticking a bit so I cleaned that. I wanna make sure it's gonna run ok before ordering a diaphragm. Started pretty easy again tonight but still racing at idle.

Can someone tell me what the initial settings should be for lo mix and hi mix screws? The lo mix is kinda a funky thing run off the throttle shaft. It screwed in 6 turns and still hadn't bottomed, so I have no clue on that. The hi mix screw was set at .75 turns out.

I know someone is gonna say throw a sdc on there, but I want to give this carb a shot, so please help.

Mark had a big write up about it I'll try n find it for ya.

Thanks Jethro!

I also found this from Mark when I googled 2-10 carb adjustment.

" Start by turning the Lo Mix screw (long skinny screw attached to the throttle) CCW a few turns then turn the idle speed adjust screw CCW until the throttle closes completely, then turn the lo mix screw CW until it seats lightly (be gentle) and finally turn the Lo Mix screw CCW 2-1/2 turns.

Turn the Hi Mix screw (vertical screw next to the primer) CW until lightly seated then CCW 2 turns."

I guess mine isn't anywhere near the baseline specs! Holy cow, no wonder it runs so poorly. I'm hoping somebody wasn't trying to adjust carb to compensate for a mechanical problem with saw.

Cool yeah hopefully not. My guess it was a fiddler like one of us had a go at it trying to get it running. Mine ran great for two days and then went to hell. Gave up and SDCing it. Drill and tap new holes change throttle linkage and figure out a choke as the sdc choke is too tall. Thinking a sliding choke

Well I adjusted the lo and hi screws to baseline settings. Saw starts up with a little priming. Can keep it running for several seconds with throttle but it's surging up and down a lot. Piston and cylinder look beautiful on this saw, so gonna order up a diaphragm and go from there. I have a feeling with carb rebuilt it's gonna run.
20200304_215448.jpg

Back again. I let the saw sit with the spark plug out from 11 29 19 [ see my post 11 29 19 # 1216 pg.61] Flippen thing leaked oil all over the rack even with a rubber pad underneath.
Got it started after like 4/5 pulls . Holly **** smoked like hell, kept smoking for as long as I let it run. Could see oil gas ? mix dripping [ while running] where the muffler/baffle would be.
Raced at A high RPM turned down the idle. Ok Until I revved it. Then slowed to a stall. Re-start 2 3 pulls. Gas oil mix all over on the right side.
The other fellow said check the oil pump ? And A carb re-build . OK The carb [ see pic] says SDC 8 77 65 . 3 screws left side Idle High and low. Reco On carb or Carb Kit. Got screwed on E-bay before. [ gas and oil cap] Like I said before I don't need it , I want it to have it.
A million thanks Suffolk county Long Island NY . Maybe up for grabs. with Org Manual.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 13
Back again. I let the saw sit with the spark plug out from 11 29 19 [ see my post 11 29 19 # 1216 pg.61] Flippen thing leaked oil all over the rack even with a rubber pad underneath.
Got it started after like 4/5 pulls . Holly **** smoked like hell, kept smoking for as long as I let it run. Could see oil gas ? mix dripping [ while running] where the muffler/baffle would be.
Raced at A high RPM turned down the idle. Ok Until I revved it. Then slowed to a stall. Re-start 2 3 pulls. Gas oil mix all over on the right side.
The other fellow said check the oil pump ? And A carb re-build . OK The carb [ see pic] says SDC 8 77 65 . 3 screws left side Idle High and low. Reco On carb or Carb Kit. Got screwed on E-bay before. [ gas and oil cap] Like I said before I don't need it , I want it to have it.
A million thanks Suffolk county Long Island NY . Maybe up for grabs. with Org Manual.
Some one here would gladly take your problem child.

Sounds like a few issues there. Carb will need a kit for starters.

The oil will be leaking out the tank lid like most do.

G'day
New-ish to the site, been lurking for a little while & thought i'd say hi. I've been quiet at work the last few days, so have read the whole thread! I've learnt a bit & enjoyed the pictures!!!
Now i just need to find some shed time to work on my own saws... I posted a few pics on the Mcculloch thread, so i won't re post them here again, but i have a few 10 series. I currently have a Pro Mac 55 in pieces on my bench. I'll upload some pictures once i get her back together. With a bit of luck it will run!
One question i have is, does anyone know any good carburettor rebuild videos or step by step how to's? I'm still not confident on my Carby skills.
Cheers everyone!

G'day
New-ish to the site, been lurking for a little while & thought i'd say hi. I've been quiet at work the last few days, so have read the whole thread! I've learnt a bit & enjoyed the pictures!!!
Now i just need to find some shed time to work on my own saws... I posted a few pics on the Mcculloch thread, so i won't re post them here again, but i have a few 10 series. I currently have a Pro Mac 55 in pieces on my bench. I'll upload some pictures once i get her back together. With a bit of luck it will run!
One question i have is, does anyone know any good carburettor rebuild videos or step by step how to's? I'm still not confident on my Carby skills.
Cheers everyone!
Post some pictures of the carburetor and we'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks. Can post pictures when i get home. It's a Walbro SDC-49 with the fixed high jet. From what i've read it doesn't look overly difficult, but i just like to know how to do these things properly. I have a few saws in line that need carby's doing, so I'd like to get proficient at it. I don't have a ultrasonic cleaner either yet, but it's on the wish list!

Latest posts

Back