The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Can post pictures when i get home. It's a Walbro SDC-49 with the fixed high jet. From what i've read it doesn't look overly difficult, but i just like to know how to do these things properly. I have a few saws in line that need carby's doing, so I'd like to get proficient at it. I don't have a ultrasonic cleaner either yet, but it's on the wish list!
I don't have an ultrasonic , and it hasn't affected my carb cleaning yet but being meticulous helps.

Do you clean them in fuel or use some other cleaner?
I use Mean Green some guys like purple power , and I've used Awsome. These are simple degreasers that get the old fuel varnish out of the carburetors, I follow it up with a rinse of very hot water and gentle air blow out.
You can also use a 1 gallon dip chemical from an auto parts store and as long as you knock the saw dust off the carb it can be used about a 100xs .

I use Mean Green some guys like purple power , and I've used Awsome. These are simple degreasers that get the old fuel varnish out of the carburetors, I follow it up with a rinse of very hot water and gentle air blow out.
They're a little more than simple degreasers and can be quite corrosive to aluminum with extended exposure, even in diluted form. Care needs to be taken when using these cleaners on carbs (or any soft metals) and the rinse you mention is very important when doing so.

I don't have an ultrasonic , and it hasn't affected my carb cleaning yet but being meticulous helps.
It paid for itself with the first carb it revived. You'd appreciate one after doing a couple yourself. Mine's just a Harbor Freight cheapie..., goin' on 6 ~ 7 years now.

They were around 60 bux when I got mine. Snag a $20 coupon somewhere and there ya go. There's a workaround for the timer which only goes for 8 minutes in stock form. The heater works great. If I had it to do over again I'd bite the bullet and get one large enough to do case halves and other larger parts. Then just put carbs in smaller containers (or zip lock baggies) with your solution of choice into whatever else happens to be in the tank and go.

Here's the cheapie: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-Liter-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-63256.html

The purple cleaners are very strong. I used to work at a motorcycle wheel company and their warranty specifically outlined that purple cleaner would void warranty as it would remove/stain anodizing. Be careful.

My step son picked up a Mac 10-10 Auto from his grandpa awhile back. We had it running for a bit but now it has sat too long again and will need carb cleaned up. What kind of info is there on this thing; bar size options and such. Where can I pick up an air filter? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150716_211037 (1).jpg
    20150716_211037 (1).jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150716_210821 (1).jpg
    20150716_210821 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20150920_170701 (1).jpg
    20150920_170701 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
My step son picked up a Mac 10-10 Auto from his grandpa awhile back. We had it running for a bit but now it has sat too long again and will need carb cleaned up. What kind of info is there on this thing; bar size options and such. Where can I pick up an air filter? Thanks.

That's the domed air filter unfortunately you will get a whole saw for the price of those but yeah Ebay. If you have a few holes in yours use a bit of silicone or hot glue or something to plug the holes up or glue a patch of something over it. I've heard of vacuum cleaner filters.

Bar size in my mind as I have bigger saws is a 16 is nice it will pull a 20 ok

Found another pic. Thanks Jethro, I probably have some of that material at work from some old Stihl stuff I can use to patch it up.

Attachments

• 20150722_205842.jpg
    20150722_205842.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
I'm in need of a whole filter [emoji853] I have 4 saws that use that filter and only 3 filters. Bummer that nobody is repopping them. There must be literally 10s of thousands of these saws around.
Seems lately when I snag one the filter is missing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Muffler fix? That is the way he got it.

Yeah we see all kinds of muffler mods and repairs to these saws the mods are usually to make it quieter lol.

I'm in need of a whole filter [emoji853] I have 4 saws that use that filter and only 3 filters. Bummer that nobody is repopping them. There must be literally 10s of thousands of these saws around.
Seems lately when I snag one the filter is missing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your right it could be fairly lucrative youd think. Especially now the popularity is going upwards

Hello Friends, I picked up a PM 10-10 about a year ago which ran good so I didn't mess with it. Last week it seemed to need a little carb adjustment on idle, but when I went to adjust the needle I noticed that the Hi/Lo needles were straight and were a bit tough to get to, especially the lower needle (the Lo); its' a SDC-37A carb. This particular saw has no provision on the case for screwdriver access, I thought this was a bit strange. I also had picked up some other 10-10 parts which I remembered included another Walbro carb, a SDC-65, which at a quick glance looked identical. This carb as it turns out has angled needles just like the idle speed screw. So my question is, is my PM saw with the high air box (using the flat air filter) and no side access holes suppose to have the #65 carb for easier needle access and not the 37A? Everything else looks identical between the two. They're also close in manufactured dates. Thanks in advance, Steve

Hello Friends, I picked up a PM 10-10 about a year ago which ran good so I didn't mess with it. Last week it seemed to need a little carb adjustment on idle, but when I went to adjust the needle I noticed that the Hi/Lo needles were straight and were a bit tough to get to, especially the lower needle (the Lo); its' a SDC-37A carb. This particular saw has no provision on the case for screwdriver access, I thought this was a bit strange. I also had picked up some other 10-10 parts which I remembered included another Walbro carb, a SDC-65, which at a quick glance looked identical. This carb as it turns out has angled needles just like the idle speed screw. So my question is, is my PM saw with the high air box (using the flat air filter) and no side access holes suppose to have the #65 carb for easier needle access and not the 37A? Everything else looks identical between the two. They're also close in manufactured dates. Thanks in advance, Steve

Hey there yes the pm10-10 is meant to have the 65. The 37 is a nice carb also

Whats the best way to clean one of these filters without wrecking it.
I was thinking hot water with dish soap?

Latest posts

Back