The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the DSP & it's working fine.I rechecked the carb settings & they were right on too.I think the damage was done by the prior owner doing a mickey mouse fix on the fuel line which caused it to suck air.The compression reading of 140 psi when I first got the saw might've been faulty.I did another compression test today & it's not 90 psi,it's 105 psi.If the cylinder isn't scored beyond use,I think a set of rtings might possibly do the trick.

This is a copy of a post I made in the McCulloch Chainsaw thread, it may be more pertinent here...

There were two different bearing and seal options used on the flywheel side of the 10 Series saws. Most have the hard to find 63429 bearing on the flywheel side with the 61618 seal that presses into the wider outer race of the bearing. Others use the same bearing and seal combination as the 600 Series saws with the 67905 bearing and 67906 seal, the bearing in narrower and the seal matches the O.D. of the bearing and presses in side by side. The two are completely interchangeable as a combination. Most 10-10 models use the 67905/67906 combination as well as other random saws along the way.

The PTO side all use the same bearing and seal, 104357 needle bearing and 110260 seal. The 60 cc and larger saws have a sleeve or insert that the bearing and seal press in to and are positioned in the crankcase with either a dowel pin (later models) or a snap ring (earlier models). On the 54 and 57 cc models the bearing and seal press directly into the bore of the crankcase.

20210705_075515.jpg

Mark

Have a cylinder with some deep scoring. Has anybody tried to bore one of these over to try and reclaim the cylinder, maybe convert to a 56 mm super cylinder. Just looking for options. Any info welcome.

Have a cylinder with some deep scoring. Has anybody tried to bore one of these over to try and reclaim the cylinder, maybe convert to a 56 mm super cylinder. Just looking for options. Any info welcome.
There are standard 0.020 and 0.030 over bores, but pistons and rings may be a challenge to locate. I'm pretty sure the 57cc cylinders were when the chrome plating began and wouldn't be an overbore option for a stock 10-10 cylinder.

That said, I'd be all over the offer from briguy26 as probably the easiest and most economical option -- or keep your eyes peeled for a parts saw with a good top end.

Pics of the gouged cylinder? If the grooves are below the ring travel, you may be able to salvage it.

Are you looking for a 10-10 jug and piston? If so PM me I have one in excellent shape.
Brother thanks for letting me know. I did find a short block NOS for the 10-10 I was just thinking about some weird science on the old jug that is currently bolted up. Didn't wanna let it go without a fight.Any thoughts on the auto oiler? BTW I did get my numbers off on the piston in the original post

This is a copy of a post I made in the McCulloch Chainsaw thread, it may be more pertinent here...

There were two different bearing and seal options used on the flywheel side of the 10 Series saws. Most have the hard to find 63429 bearing on the flywheel side with the 61618 seal that presses into the wider outer race of the bearing. Others use the same bearing and seal combination as the 600 Series saws with the 67905 bearing and 67906 seal, the bearing in narrower and the seal matches the O.D. of the bearing and presses in side by side. The two are completely interchangeable as a combination. Most 10-10 models use the 67905/67906 combination as well as other random saws along the way.

The PTO side all use the same bearing and seal, 104357 needle bearing and 110260 seal. The 60 cc and larger saws have a sleeve or insert that the bearing and seal press in to and are positioned in the crankcase with either a dowel pin (later models) or a snap ring (earlier models). On the 54 and 57 cc models the bearing and seal press directly into the bore of the crankcase.

20210705_075515.jpg

Mark
Hello Mark, does Nachi still make this model of bearing? I can't quite seem to make out the model number that's lasered on that bearing

I recently discovered there is a Motion Industries location near me. Been meaning to visit just to see if it could actually become my 'favorite local bearing house' since everyone else seems to have one 'that can match up anything you bring in'.

This thread has been a little slow lately...I guess all of the traffic has moved to the McCulloch Chainsaws thread.

None the less I'll add a little something, the latest parts coming off the 3D printer. 83598 are the three piece sawdust screens used on the CP70L and early 7-10 models.

20220605_154456.jpg

20220605_154518.jpg

20220604_171455.jpg

20220604_171515.jpg

In order to get the grid structure to print without supports (that would require removing the supports from every grid opening) we made the grid a bit finer. OEM parts shown below.

20201004_153702.jpg

Mark

Attachments

• 20220604_171505.jpg
    20220604_171505.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220604_171510.jpg
    20220604_171510.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
This thread has been a little slow lately...I guess all of the traffic has moved to the McCulloch Chainsaws thread.

None the less I'll add a little something, the latest parts coming off the 3D printer. 83598 are the three piece sawdust screens used on the CP70L and early 7-10 models.

In order to get the grid structure to print without supports (that would require removing the supports from every grid opening) we made the grid a bit finer. OEM parts shown below.

Mark

Fantastic stuff Mark. I just started messing with 3D printing, and designing things in Fusion 360, so I can appreciate how much effort went into this!

With the successful printing of the square grid on the 3 piece screens I had my Engineer modify the drawing for the one piece screens and finished the first couple today. They actually look pretty good but I want to try a few additional adjustments to improve the looks of the finished product. I'll try to remember and post a few photos tomorrow.

Mark

OEM on the left, 3D printed on the right.

20220612_140127.jpg

OEM

20220612_140536.jpg

3D printed

20220612_140154.jpg

It was necessary to use a smaller grid to get these to print without putting supports in every grid opening. You can still see how the extruded filament sags a little on the first horizontal layers, but at arms lengths or with the saw running you don't really notice.

20220612_134728.jpg

20220612_134743.jpg

Mark

I bought 3 10 series saws yesterday, 6-10 ,10-10a and a ? Model plate missing. I don't think any were ever cleanrd in their life. Included was a very clean beaird Poulan 361 , which I'm currently looking to trade for Mac parts (The Poulan is not yellow so I'm not interested in it).
I 've been using a Sthil fuel line in my Mac's with good results, an old saw shop turned me on to it. Depending on the casting most the 10-10s have no problem with the sthil fuel line sealing.
Btw if you want the poulan let me know I'm looking for clutch covers and various ausundry for my Macs.
Do you still have the poulan?

3 year old post, but yes I do still have it I disassembled most of the saw to determine whether it needed bearings on the crank. I personally thought it might have too much play in they ? Although the saw did run.
Interested ? I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

can anyone tell me the procedure for taking apart the fuel tank on an sp70? I got the 4 screws out (one of them barely, had to use a heat gun and some PB Blaster) but there appears to be a heavy-duty sealant under the paint between the 2 halves. do I just cut the sealant away and pry it apart? don't want to mess it up. I can feel some crud and maybe corrosion inside and want to take care of it. also, I have some POR 15 fuel tank coating. has anyone used that successfully? thanks!

Back