The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad murdock

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread to pay honors to the venerable McCulloch 10-10 series saw. One of the first saws I went to the woods with nigh on 35+ years ago. The saw you wanted to kill but would never die. A saw that once forgotten, still can hold it's own amongst all the newer saws out there. A saw that was built in such numbers and is still so prevalent, that i like to refer to it as the "chevy 350" of chainsaws. I have ran several and owned 3, hopefully will be getting into a few more here within a couple weeks. My favorite variety is the current one, a 1969 production year by SN, right hand start. It is one of the lightest saws of its size I have handled, and with a 20" B/C really does well, even with the bar buried completley in wood (cutting Doug Fir). A real "no frills" working machine, IMO, Here's to the Mac 10-10:rock::rock:

Last edited:
Mine looks like this...View attachment 240526 I have yet to compile a full list but there is some stuff winging it's here from Chainsawr as we speak.It's going to be my winter resto project.Most I clean up and get running but for some reason I want this one to look like new-though I'm not sure why really:msp_unsure:

Mac 10-10A Was the Saw I Learned on and am Still Running it Today

My first lesson with a saw was on my Grandfather's Mac 10-10A over thirty years ago. The saw sat for a number of years while I was in college. I came home put some fresh fuel in it and it fired right up. I still run the saw today; however occasionally for sentimental reasons and of course the sweet roaring tune it produces. No other saw sounds like the ol' Mac.

Running the Mac 10-10A for any length of time results in hands still shaking hours after its use.

I plan to restore the saw someday to pass onto my son with hopes he will appreciate the decades of work his forefathers put behind that saw. I just hope parts will still be available.

View attachment 240556

The best part of the 10-10 was its offspring.

Photo0387.jpg

especially the 82cc big brother.

I have been wanting a Mcculloch, I have yet to decide on a 10-10 or do I want something bigger? Or maybe better yet maybe both.

Growing up in a Homelite home, I was always taught Macs were junk.I took one on a trade more or less out of curiosity.The saw (Pro-mac 10-10)had been sitting so long the chain was rusted to the bar on bottom and the engine was locked up.After a few days soaking in MM oil I was able to free the piston without breaking a ring.I put in some gas and oil and fixed the recoil spring.After about 100 pulls it fired up.After a carb kit it only takes 2 or 3 pulls.That is one stout saw.I like the option of the manuel oiler and I like the way it sounds, with earplugs of course!Soon I found a 10-10S and keep my eye out for more.
I have a few Stihls, Homelites, Poulans and one Husky, but I grab one of those Old Yellers first when I need a saw.

They are a tough little saw. I've been a fan for years, of all of the 10XX series, as well. Try to avoid the temptation to run 'em too lean tho. Or you'll have a nice yellow door-stop.

You could just get a PM700, looks like a 10-10 but it's bigger inside..

Are they as readily available (cheap), and are parts as readily available? I want an SP125, but then again I want alot of other big saws... Lol, needs and $ regulate what I have/get

Are they as readily available (cheap), and are parts as readily available? I want an SP125, but then again I want alot of other big saws... Lol, needs and $ regulate what I have/get

I bought mine for $5 from a mower shop. You just have to keep looking, they aren't seen every day like the 10-10 is but they're out there. Ebay might be a good place to look, they have them occasionally.

I have 7 of the 10-10 series in various stages of repair, 4 of the ProMac 10-10, 3 of the 10-10a, all of my neighbors know when the 10-10's are up and running, they enjoy the sound----from a distance. They truly are a saw that doesn't want to die.

Latest posts

Back