The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have located some suitable grommets and what I believe is the same stuff as the "Echo" fuel line, Buna N liner and PVC sheath.

20201218_093955.jpg

20201218_094007.jpg

20201218_094546.jpg

It does seem to resist kinking better than Tygon and should make the corner to the nipple on the carburetor without any problems.

20201218_094622.jpg

Seems like I should be set for a while.

20201218_121217.jpg

Mark

Curious myself if it was sourced domestically or came straight from Taiwan. Can't help but also being a bit curious about the grommets....unless, of course, you are going to be putting kits together for the McMasses at a reasonable price to save the rest of us the hassle of buying bulk materials just for a couple o' saws. I can certainly respect not broadcasting your sources under those circumstances.

Grommets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-16-Rubbe...var=554127157125&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I will have to do some searching in my files to see where the fuel line came from. The first piece came from member that is no longer active (Sierra Mountains) and was described as Echo fuel line, I just tried to match that product.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Don't put yourself out. I can do some searches.
I can see you are far more occupied than I am.

Thanks for noticing that missing starter bolt on my 5-10E. The nut was jammed in the captive slot. I dodged a bullet there.

Greetings 10-10 fans. Newbie here. I am joining your club if you will let me. I just bought a Mac 10-10 automatic. Bought off CL, seller said he replaced the carb 7 years ago and she never ran again. Didn't clarify if it wouldn't start or wouldn't run operationally. Fairly nice shape with a good bar and chain. Paid 100$. (Envious of you guys who get them for free or nearly free!) Brought it home, noticed right away chain was on backwards. Was hoping seller was a real idiot and all she needed was gas and chain re installed. Fired up on 10th pull. Ran her for a bit, idled rough but would not rev to full speed. Noticed gas in carb compartment. Did some tinkering. Put new fuel line in and new gasket where carb meets port. Fired her back up (now a week later waiting on fuel lines and gasket). Runs slightly better and carb compartment stays dry. Wont rev to full power. But revving to mid range anyhow.
Wondering if seller put a faulty carb or poorly adjusted carb? Or if it is air leak? Or other issue? I am only moderately skilled at small engine work. I have a friend who is all around great mechanic and happy to assist me. As he lives over an hour away I want to have many replacement parts on hand when we tear into her. After reading 78 pages of Mac 10 10 love, I think I should start with a check valve, carb rebuild kit, and new plug. Would I also be wise to have new crank seals on hand? Any other parts I should pick up off of flea bay to prepare to bring Betty back to life?
Eventually I want to run full wrap bars, add dogs, and run 28 inch bar. Can anyone advise as to wether this model can have dogs?
Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful people who share your knowledge with everyone. FC13EA5A-D9C0-40F8-9259-2F8B605CDA2A.jpegFC13EA5A-D9C0-40F8-9259-2F8B605CDA2A.jpeg6199E404-5699-4619-A119-151C23DCE471.jpeg6199E404-5699-4619-A119-151C23DCE471.jpeg

Wondering if seller put a faulty carb or poorly adjusted carb? Or if it is air leak? Or other issue?
I think I should start with a check valve, carb rebuild kit, and new plug. Would I also be wise to have new crank seals on hand? Any other parts I should pick up off of flea bay to prepare to bring Betty back to life?
Eventually I want to run full wrap bars, add dogs, and run 28 inch bar. Can anyone advise as to whether this model can have dogs?
Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful people who share your knowledge with everyone.
Probably a poorly adjusted carb, having a carb kit and a check valve seems like a good idea, if it runs I doubt it needs a new plug. New crank seals are cheap, I believe you need 1 each of Timken p/n's 471551 and 253747. @heimannm should be able to hook you up with a full wrap, and @Goinwheelin makes some neat dogs for these saws, I need to get one for my 5-10. The bottom part of your clutch cover is busted out so putting a dog on there would require rebuilding that region of the cover or finding a new one. A 28 inch bar is a little much for a 54cc saw, 24 is as big as I'd go. Good luck on getting your 10-10 running, I wanna get mine going too. Here's a few pics of what it looks like with a full wrap, a Goinwheelin dog, and a 24 inch bar.
View attachment 889357View attachment 889358View attachment 889359View attachment 889360View attachment 889361

Ahh, thanks for pointing out the obvious Woodslasher- it did not occur to me that the clutch cover was busted. Just thought it was another iteration of the many versions of Mac 10 10 out there. Previous owner artfully ground the edge so I assumed that was original shape. Maybe someone here has a spare clutch cover?

Lightly seat each adjustment jet screw and back it out 1 full turn, that is the factory settings for the carburetor ,anywhere around 2 turns out to run and something is wrong .
Stihl 036 fuel line has worked for me well. Post a picture of your carburetor and the back (bar)side of the clutch cover if you can.

I have been setting the jet screws at 1 and 1/2. It is odd that when I adjust them with it running it makes very little difference.

Greetings 10-10 fans. Newbie here. I am joining your club if you will let me. I just bought a Mac 10-10 automatic. Bought off CL, seller said he replaced the carb 7 years ago and she never ran again. Didn't clarify if it wouldn't start or wouldn't run operationally. Fairly nice shape with a good bar and chain. Paid 100$. (Envious of you guys who get them for free or nearly free!) Brought it home, noticed right away chain was on backwards. Was hoping seller was a real idiot and all she needed was gas and chain re installed. Fired up on 10th pull. Ran her for a bit, idled rough but would not rev to full speed. Noticed gas in carb compartment. Did some tinkering. Put new fuel line in and new gasket where carb meets port. Fired her back up (now a week later waiting on fuel lines and gasket). Runs slightly better and carb compartment stays dry. Wont rev to full power. But revving to mid range anyhow.
Wondering if seller put a faulty carb or poorly adjusted carb? Or if it is air leak? Or other issue? I am only moderately skilled at small engine work. I have a friend who is all around great mechanic and happy to assist me. As he lives over an hour away I want to have many replacement parts on hand when we tear into her. After reading 78 pages of Mac 10 10 love, I think I should start with a check valve, carb rebuild kit, and new plug. Would I also be wise to have new crank seals on hand? Any other parts I should pick up off of flea bay to prepare to bring Betty back to life?
Eventually I want to run full wrap bars, add dogs, and run 28 inch bar. Can anyone advise as to wether this model can have dogs?
Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful people who share your knowledge with everyone. View attachment 889346View attachment 889346View attachment 889355View attachment 889355
Welcome. I would take a peek at the piston and cylinder and check the points.

I have peeked in on the cylinder, from what I can see it is perfect. A little carbon on the top of it, but the side (seen from carb port) is flawless.
I have decided that for this saw I want to take her to showcase level. IF.... I can find that clutch cover. IF I can do that I can add dogs. And if I can add dogs I want the full wrap from Mark. And then if I have dogs and a full wrap this will be my pretty saw for felling. I don't fell much, mostly I work with down wood. (I harvest firewood for a maple syrup operation. 200 acres of woods gives us enough down material we rarely fell any more. ) So I am going to work on getting her running well. Carb rebuild and tuning. Make sure she is a strong runner while I seek out clutch cover. Then when clutch cover is found I will completely disassemble, replace all seals and gaskets and do fresh coat on all yellow parts.
So if anyone has any leads on this particular clutch cover please let me know.
BC4C4B38-3765-49B4-A6C7-2C80179FECF8.jpeg

Hi Guys,

Just needing some advice please. I purchased this Mac 10-10 ( actually swapped it for a Stihl MS170 ) yesterday but it's missing the top air cleaner cover. I would like to put a period correct air cleaner on it, but since there is numerous options would anyone know which would be the correct one ?

BTW, there is no tag inside the air cleaner box. It has been removed.

Thanks Justin

Attachments

• 20210222_121754_resized.jpg
    20210222_121754_resized.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210222_121759_resized.jpg
    20210222_121759_resized.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210222_121807_resized.jpg
    20210222_121807_resized.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210222_121829_resized.jpg