The "Utility Vegetation Management" Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some help

Can some of the experienced Utility foresters give me a definition that distinguishes a "side trim" v.s. an "Overhang" Trim. In a unit bid contract, one type of trim pays different than another, so a distinct definition must be made. What is your standard. Do you have one? Thanks for help in advance.

thrown to the wolves

I wish like hull we had a manager around here with the brass nuggets you are using in your system. Every time there is a question between a property owner and the contractor..(yours ever so truly) the contractor is always at fault. Permissions vs. agreements...I like that. Around here we are under the permission end of things..trees getting "minmal" trims, problem trees remaining in lines because homeowner wants to "preserve" his trees...funny thing when their power goes out due to tree failure...all we hear is the tree trimmers aren't doing their jobs.

Just my take...If there is a serious problem (as in the other day when the homeowner let his pit bull out while I was seeking "permission" to keep his power on by trimming out a burning aspen) I think the power company should discontinue service to that customer until compliance is reached.. but I'm just a sorehead that hates having to beat a dog to get him to quit chasing me. Then get chewed out by the power company for poor customer relations...###king cowardice pr@cks.

Well you started this thread as a rant/suggestion/sharing place for utility clearance workers. I've done my ranting for today.

If the customer is on the end of the line and was a problem with row, the engineers would put a fuse on the tap so when the trees got in the line, their lights would go out and not affect everyone else. If the trees were in the main line, we would tell everyone down the line why their lights were going out all the time- pretty soon the neighbor would be getting such grief they would beg us to clear the line.:cool:

side trim vs overhang

kmoose
a good contractor would include the overhang in bidding the side trim, unless he was intending to do a minimal job to drive down the price...let them know exactly what you want, and ask them for the price of that. Don't let them dictate to you what is acceptable, or what they will do. You seem to be way ahead of the game in how you are handling vm, so most contractors are probably not use to dealing with a thorough system. Thus they are giving bids based on out of date standards.

oldugly said:
Just my take...If there is a serious problem (as in the other day when the homeowner let his pit bull out while I was seeking "permission" to keep his power on by trimming out a burning aspen) I think the power company should discontinue service to that customer until compliance is reached.. but I'm just a sorehead that hates having to beat a dog to get him to quit chasing me. Then get chewed out by the power company for poor customer relations...###king cowardice pr@cks.

I have a pretty good relationship with most of the local law enforcement, so if a problem consumer tries something like that...........well it's going to be a long day for them and their dog. Also we have used the "no restore" order in the past. I really don't like that option because it leads the consumer to believe he is in the right. If I get a refusal and we have a good easement, I try to apply good reason and work with them. I invite them to take the easement to an attorney if they feel like throwing some money away and find out what they think. As a last resort, I ask them if I need to schedule a deputy to be present to insure our crews’ safety while they clear the easement. At that point, with the easement in my hand, they normally give in as to not make a scene.

If a Vegetation Management department has preplanners to deal with these issues prior to the trim crew arrival, it saves allot of time and money. Shutting a crew down or bringing them back after the conflict is rectified cost the trim contractor money and time also. Blaming trim contractors for spoiled and stupid consumers is dumb and drives a wedge in between what should be a positive working relationship. Good, effective planning is key to a cost efficient, well managed VM program. The money spent properly planning before the trimmers arrive will save you much more valuable time and aggravation……..and your trimmers will be allot more happy trimming and staying on schedule instead of dealing with refusals.

I work for Asplundh and our utility tells us if the customer refuses or gets in the way of trimming call the cops and trim anyway.Overhangs we trim just past the hinge point where if the limb hinges it wont hit line

JODY MESSICK said:
I work for Asplundh and our utility tells us if the customer refuses or gets in the way of trimming call the cops and trim anyway.Overhangs we trim just past the hinge point where if the limb hinges it wont hit line
Really, the cop must be choked when he realizes he has to put down his donut and come out to deal with some moron. Cops usually get along with working guys, I could see them taking your side right away, the need for powerline clearance is kind of obviuos. I would have given a couple of hundred bucks to see one of the many whining tree hugging freaks I have had to deal with stuffed into the back of a cop car. Actually, a little bit of "police brutality" first would be better, then in the car.

Clearance, you and I probably don't see eye to eye on alot of things, but all I can say is AMEN, bro.
After threats, and so on by customers, I would love to see a little police brutality come in to play.
The power company here is run by corp lawyers who are afraid of their shadows. I actually had signed permission to take out a small tree under the line, (repeat..yes...SIGNED), and now I have to pay to plant a pine to replace it. The power company caved as soon as the complaint came in, and of course the contractor, (yours truly) was in the wrong.
Where I worked before, it was considered "implied permission". Meaning that permission was implied unless a customer called in a specific problem or complaint, and then the utility foreman handled it. (Unless of course it truly WAS contractor neglect...ie brush left in a yard, or tree butchered beyond recognition fifty feet from the line, etc.)
I've been thinking about getting a "permit to carry"...nah, better not.

oldugly said:
Clearance, you and I probably don't see eye to eye on alot of things, but all I can say is AMEN, bro.
After threats, and so on by customers, I would love to see a little police brutality come in to play.
The power company here is run by corp lawyers who are afraid of their shadows. I actually had signed permission to take out a small tree under the line, (repeat..yes...SIGNED), and now I have to pay to plant a pine to replace it. The power company caved as soon as the complaint came in, and of course the contractor, (yours truly) was in the wrong.
Where I worked before, it was considered "implied permission". Meaning that permission was implied unless a customer called in a specific problem or complaint, and then the utility foreman handled it. (Unless of course it truly WAS contractor neglect...ie brush left in a yard, or tree butchered beyond recognition fifty feet from the line, etc.)
I've been thinking about getting a "permit to carry"...nah, better not.
Our power co. (BC Hydro) is the same, spineless, run away, blame the treeguy, pathetic, there is one manager I really like cause he has balls, but incidents get bumped up the ladder out of his control. I strongly feel that it should be a criminal offence to interfere with utility guys, it is a vital service. So glad I got away from all that BS.

Back