The verdict is in concerning my powwermatch bar!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chain on the bottom is a brand new Carlton, fresh out of the box, no way it could be damaged, and is still new only hanging on a nail now. And there where wear marks at the tip of the bar on the bottom, I filed them out a few hours ago, about 2" long.
The top chain looks to have a better tooth point than the bottom one, with a not really well focused picture of such well maintained chains it's not easy to pick the brand or age, just whether one has a point or not.
Thanski

OK let me get my mind around this you(OP ) have a Blount manufactured Bar/Chain which you consider (Unfit For Purpose) you return said suspect parts to be told Bar is up to std & quote Chain is the best maintained the Blount guy has had across his desk.The confusing part to me is if the bar was to spec WHy was a replacement offered (Sweetner maybe)Why did you not accept a "Freebie"? looking at the video to me the chain had a number of anomaly's so my take on the best chain he was feeding you BS You are entirely entitled to what ever action you choose but My stand would have been to get Blount to replace FOC bar/chain & then use it & see the results if it turns out it wears as original then you can go to town on Blount for not fit for purpose sales Crap odd bar or chain annoying but "sods law" happens ? 2 the same they have a problem, although it could be a bad batch, but their QC should sort it But if you keep getting offered FOC Bars/chains take them, total cost is some aggravation. All large quantity production concerns have problems be it Auto's, White Goods, whatever but if they repair/replace FOC keep using it's costing you "nowt" extra. Your choice though.

OK let me get my mind around this you(OP ) have a Blount manufactured Bar/Chain which you consider (Unfit For Purpose) you return said suspect parts to be told Bar is up to std & quote Chain is the best maintained the Blount guy has had across his desk.The confusing part to me is if the bar was to spec WHy was a replacement offered (Sweetner maybe)Why did you not accept a "Freebie"? looking at the video to me the chain had a number of anomaly's so my take on the best chain he was feeding you BS You are entirely entitled to what ever action you choose but My stand would have been to get Blount to replace FOC bar/chain & then use it & see the results if it turns out it wears as original then you can go to town on Blount for not fit for purpose sales Crap odd bar or chain annoying but "sods law" happens ? 2 the same they have a problem, although it could be a bad batch, but their QC should sort it But if you keep getting offered FOC Bars/chains take them, total cost is some aggravation. All large quantity production concerns have problems be it Auto's, White Goods, whatever but if they repair/replace FOC keep using it's costing you "nowt" extra. Your choice though.

Little Al you bring up some excellent points but what I find odd about this whole thing is that once the bar was sent in the company did not follow protocol. Once a part fails it is sent to the manufactures site for evaluation. The place that made it is in Ontario Canada and they would be the ones that put it through the QC process. We are also not talking about a single bar but hundreds that would have shared the same metal stock, same heat treating process and same QC process. Since there was no mass failure and the company did not want to send a bar to Canada ( shipping alone would far exceed the value of the bar ) they tried to save face by saying that the bar was fine BUT offered the OP a new one. OP take the offer, most here would. Metallurgy, and testing is always done at point of manufacturing.

When you get a chain that blunt across your desk with a customer complaining his bar is soft and wearing really fast.....what would you do?? Would you honestly send out for testing or waste peoples valuable time within the company? Most businesses would tell the guy to learn to use the equipment properly and go eat crow, offering the OP a new replacement and is going above and beyond standing by your product, its standing by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. That chain would not cut a darn thing, & if you persisted trying all you would do is further damage your gear which is quite apparent what happened here. Pfft...soft bar rails, the guy in customer service is the soft one.

The thing is anymore with technology a simple desk top Brinell or Rockwell hardness tester is readily available and would have answered the softness question in seconds.

The thing is anymore with technology a simple desk top Brinell or Rockwell hardness tester is readily available and would have answered the softness question in seconds.
And there were no Rockwell test indentations anywhere on the returned bar.
Thanski

Latest posts

Back