The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The flies were so bad in the woods this afternoon that the Used Dog mutinied and headed back to the pickup whining in an unusually high pitched voice. I followed but was weak from all the blood loss from the terrible beasties. I am afraid people will think I'm a tweaker from all the bites on my skin. I think I will be saved from that label due to my roundness.

One of the buggers got into my eye, others went under my hat and were tangled in hair. They climbed up my nose. I killed multiple flies with one swat but they were quickly replaced. When we got into the pickup, I had to spend a while smashing flies yelling, "Die!"

Now I need to find the Windex.

How was your day?

Woke up all stove up, went to my construction job which usually isn't too bad but we're putting a foundation under a complete ####heap that happens to be on the historical registry so we have to tiptoe around under there. As the new guy I get all of the really crappy jobs, most of today was spent lying on my belly wedged under some floor joist backfilling with a tiny assed shovel, the other part of the day was spent cleaning up messes that other people made and jockeying around 2x6's in the claustrophobic under-deck workspace

Spent the day hiking around an old Ranger station property that is up for sale. 90 acres with some pretty nice, juicy "Fir". The Huckleberries were THICK! At times I found myself in front of what felt like a wall of that tangled brush that was 8 feet tall. All in all it went pretty good though... Not many bugs/bees or the like and the ground was relatively flat.

BTW this was my first "half-assed cruise" so it was tough to complain getting out in the brush.

How was my day? I'm glad you asked.

We're in the midst of The Annual Fall Panic. Every year about this time it dawns on the big-wigs that winter is coming. Again. All the little projects that have been overlooked, delayed, under-funded, and ignored all season long suddenly become top priority. From now until the bad weather starts its a Full Speed Ahead, To Hell With The Overtime Costs, Get More People And Machinery circus. Lots of meetings, messaging, and white pickups heading in different directions at high speed. It happens every year. Every year. Those of us knuckle draggers in the brush are used to it and gear up for it...we know it's coming. We secretly order things and line up big yellow machinery and warm bodies. But until the people who live in the offices and never come to the woods decide that winter is really going to happen, again, we wait. Now we're not waiting. We're doing the AFP boogie. Again.

Yesterday was one of those days that made me really understand, and appreciate, why they don't let us carry guns at work.

Well, my shoulders are hurting this morning and my scrip ran out on my anti-inflamitory. It gets worse though. I am starting a new contract today clearing a few acres for a man who is going to turn it into pasture for cattle. He calls me at 6:30 last night because he knows a guy who knows another guy who thinks some of the oak might be veneer. OK thats great but in this part of the world the sawmills buy white oak for barrel staves, railroad ties, and sawlogs. On the eve of the job this guy finds some tiny little specialty furniture shop that might buy a few trees while I have a plethora of truck loads to pull out of this place. Meanwhile I now have to wait until 9:00 this morning to meet with the LO and call HIS BUYER when I was planning to sink the bar at first light. Then I'll probably have to wait longer if this other buyer want some trees, because he'll have to come mark the ones he wants. I hire semi's to haul for me but this little shop will probably not buy that much which will leave me hauling 7-800 BF at a time just like in my signature pic. Can anyone say "fuel cost" and "time lost"?

I'm sure this specialty buyer will be worth my time, right?

Well, my shoulders are hurting this morning and my scrip ran out on my anti-inflamitory. It gets worse though. I am starting a new contract today clearing a few acres for a man who is going to turn it into pasture for cattle. He calls me at 6:30 last night because he knows a guy who knows another guy who thinks some of the oak might be veneer. OK thats great but in this part of the world the sawmills buy white oak for barrel staves, railroad ties, and sawlogs. On the eve of the job this guy finds some tiny little specialty furniture shop that might buy a few trees while I have a plethora of truck loads to pull out of this place. Meanwhile I now have to wait until 9:00 this morning to meet with the LO and call HIS BUYER when I was planning to sink the bar at first light. Then I'll probably have to wait longer if this other buyer want some trees, because he'll have to come mark the ones he wants. I hire semi's to haul for me but this little shop will probably not buy that much which will leave me hauling 7-800 BF at a time just like in my signature pic. Can anyone say "fuel cost" and "time lost"?

I'm sure this specialty buyer will be worth my time, right?

Great story! I have come to dread those early morning phone calls. I immediately think "change of plans". Yep since 4:30 yesterday afternoon the entire focus of mankind, and our little job, has changed. What was numero uno 12 hours ago is completely forgotten about and we are off in brand new direction today.

But I'm heading back to the Sierras in a day or two where there is no one to make any changes (off the grid, no cell service) and I can drop trees all day long and not even have to limb and buck. Life is gooder up there.

My eye feels like there may be a fly part still in it. I should wear my Bugz when picking berries--I guess.
I leave for a fun time at the dentist in a few minutes. Whaaaaaah.:msp_ohmy:

I could use a couple of tweekers for dragging and piling the slash at my park falling job. Would you please spare me a tweeker, if you had some extra in your stash?

But I'm heading back to the Sierras in a day or two where there is no one to make any changes (off the grid, no cell service) and I can drop trees all day long and not even have to limb and buck. Life is gooder up there.

OK, I'm in! When do I start? :cheers:

Update on my previous post...... I got rained out today. :bang:

Just some strange feeling twinges, and a major hurt in the wallet! I need some cheese with my whine.

I can't say much, when it comes to the dentist I automatically become a 9 year old "Baby Jakie" I don't cry very much anymore :D but the eyes wide open, fight or flight, galvanized with fear, gape jawed look is definately there

Got up, had some coffee, drove to the shop, fiddled around, roaded a skidder a few miles down 101, fiddled around some more, washed said skidder with some bleach water to clean the SOD off, got stuck at the shop, (someone ran off with my nose box which had my keys in it), got my keys back and went to the ocean for some relaxation. .

Dropped the crummy off at the tire shop this morning for new tires.....yeah I work for one of those companies that makes you drive your own truck in the brush now. Since said truck was at the tire shop got stuck in the office....and hauled into the directors office asking why we haven't spent more of our multimillion dollar budget yet....glad my boss is on vacation....I now get the questions I shouldn't answering becasue I'm too honest and don't have much of a filter. Picked up the truck.....$1323 tire bill......went to the woods at 3 to layout a rock pit expansion in coastal brush hole hell....raingear is still hanging in the shop at home, it's raining....but that's better than hot.....got home just in time for the wife to go on the night shift and me to hang with my toddler daughter who is keeping me up all night teething. Man....I'm starting to sound like a truck driver here.

Limbo time.

Seasonals are gone or going in the next week, fire season isn't quite over, still laid up with a busted arm, half my smokechasers are in the shop but I can't winterize 'em and do inventory yet, trained the contract crew up on pathology just in time for the season to end and for me to wonder how much they'll need help remembering come spring, end of FY '11 but not yet start of FY '12 so there's no money for ANYTHING, if it'd just rain for a week I could stop worrying.

Back