ArboristSite.com Sponsors

The wife wants to go see the Christmas lights tonight.

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by 1Alpha1, Dec 24, 2018.

1. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    So......we're gonna hop on this and go tour the neighborhoods. :happy:

bw 200.jpg

spyder62 likes this.
  2. JeffHK454

JeffHK454 Addicted to ArboristSite

Cool bike..I road a FatCat years ago and I always keep an eye out for one or a Big Wheel which looks to be just as fun. Now I’m off to the for-sale adds to find one of these.

1Alpha1 likes this.
  3. 1Alpha1

My wife and I each have one. Mine is an 86 and her's is an 85. Both of the bikes have a front and a rear cargo rack.

If you find a Big Wheel, buy it! They are built like a tank and easy to service. They're also a manual transmission, vs. the Fat Cat's auto. I don't know though, if the Honda has a metal fuel tank? The Yamaha has a plastic one, and after so many years, it begins to turn yellow. That's the only down-side to the Yamaha I can think of. Other than that, it's pretty much bullet-proof.

Below is a pic of our bikes. Mine is the one with the freshly painted fuel tank. It didn't stay that way when I put gas in it. The paint blistered badly within a few weeks and I had to remove it all.

I ended up wet sanding both fuel tanks to remove all the oxidation. They turned out pretty good, considering the way they used to look. They are a lot less yellow, but still far from being factory fresh looking.

BW200.JPG

spyder62 likes this.
  4. 1Alpha1

Here's how mine looks after being wet sanded and all the oxidation gone.

You can see the white area that is still kind of white. That's where the sticker used to be. The fuel tank on my wife's bike turned out a little bit better still.

Not too bad for an almost 33 yr. old bike. Everything is still original......including the tires. ;)

BW.JPG

JeffHK454 likes this.
  5. JeffHK454

JeffHK454 Addicted to ArboristSite

What should you pay for a nice used one?

I found a pretty nice ‘86 200 that’s mostly original and is in good running condition and the guys asking $1,800 ..my problem is I want one of these so bad I’d probably overpay if I went and saw it!

1Alpha1 likes this.
  6. 1Alpha1

They sold for about $1500.00 brand new. I've seen used ones go as high as $3300.00. $1800.00 doesn't sound too bad, if it's in good shape.

They are getting to be harder and harder to find. Most people find out that they either love them or hate them. If you are used to a 250 cc Moto-X bike, these are slow by comparison.

These fill a niche of their own. They are a good trail bike. I used to have a 1986 Honda XR-600R. My Big Wheel would out climb it on the very steep hills. The 600 would just spin it's wheel. The Big Wheel put's all it's power to the ground.

Anyways, like I said, $1800.00 sounds decent. Bikes are no different than chainsaws. If it looks rough, it's probably been rode hard. It's all about condition.

Go take a look at it. It really is a fun bike to have. I knew many years ago, that our Big Wheels would be with us as we grew old(er). I'll have mine for many years to come.