The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm still here yall. Been working on the bigger trees this winter again since a lot of the nice paying smaller jobs are starting to get devoured by the landscapers for cheap again. I'm not yet a slick mouth sales man but I'll boast myself performer, so I do the stuff they can't. Here are a couple picks of some willow oak trees next to fences and sheds/houses with a four 1/2 foot base at the bottom. The pic on the right is what a willow looks like before I take everything off except the middle.

At this I've got to hope that the rain will subside so that I may finish another willow oak surrounded by powerlines. Some of the branches I've been tip and but tying to the rigging point. I still work for cheap because I'm not certified of the certifications with a bunch of papers like everyone else; so, I just continue by sheer skill with low ball figures, references, and repeats. Also I live in my storage unite, drive a mini van, and get my jobs of craigs list, and I've got three and a half years hands on self employed tree work experience with the education of You-tube - Guess Heart Wood tree service should of hired me when I needed them most.

Attachments

• first job with tod.jpg
    first job with tod.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Tree Boss!.jpg
    Tree Boss!.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 17
  • willow oaks.jpg
    willow oaks.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
cj,
You're dropping some pretty big wood, got any video of that work?
Hope business picks up for ya' and gets you some better trees to work. Unless of course you like droppin' that big wood..... :D
Work safe. :)

willow-oaks-jpg.321507

cj,
You're dropping some pretty big wood, got any video of that work?
Hope business picks up for ya' and gets you some better trees to work. Unless of course you like droppin' that big wood..... :D
Work safe. :)

willow-oaks-jpg.321507

Man I'm suprised that I didn't get a negative response from my previous posting . Sorry if I come off as cocky!

I love your vids Nhlocal. I've got that goal set to eventually get my helmet cam.

Today I've had rough day. Last large branch that was overhanging a power line that I rigged off I underestimated and KAzzaaaap! What a
bunch of drama. Electricity everywhere. Friend ran away from the lowering line because the current was visible through it. I had to zip down and launch my way out to cut it so the peace would release before anymore damage to the lines would continue. luckily no one is dead and no lines here damaged only minor upsets to the power boxes. Police came out and gave us all a bunch of trouble because of some snoop calling in the proffesional government established ticket writers. now I have a court date. First time this has ever happened. Just one mistake is all it takes to screw up everything. I just want to curl up and sleep like a little baby now good freagin night.

well as busy as always with us here in ireland, :) still logging massive trees,this is one we got a limb off this morning,no need for climbing,and thank god i decided not to climb this one cause the bottom was a little rotton,just put a 4inch cut in to the tree and it cracked away as you can see....the rest of the tree and all this limb the rest of the way up was in fine hard condition,it seems there is some rot at the base setting in.
the other limb looks good,i may have to climb it even though to cut it as it's very tall,maybe up to over 70foot....

i was going to update my own thread but unsure what happened some of it,was this site out of action recently or something? some of my threads got messed up,i hadn't been on here in ages,when i came back to update some of my own threads i couldn't and some of the threads were missing?
sorry if this post is a little offtopic here,just wondering that's all...

anyway here is this huge ash tree we are at right now,you can probably barely make me out standing under it.

all though i must admit the thumb nail option is a blessing,now it only takes a short time to shift through threads here.
DSC02504.JPG DSC02506.JPG DSC02505.JPG DSC02503.JPG
View attachment 321718

Last edited:
well as busy as always with us here in ireland, :) still logging massive trees,this is one we got a limb off this morning,no need for climbing,and thank god i decided not to climb this one cause the bottom was a little rotton,just put a 4inch cut in to the tree and it cracked away as you can see....the rest of the tree and all this limb the rest of the way up was in fine hard condition,it seems there is some rot at the base setting in.
the other limb looks good,i may have to climb it even though to cut it as it's very tall,maybe up to over 70foot....

i was going to update my own thread but unsure what happened some of it,was this site out of action recently or something? some of my threads got messed up,i hadn't been on here in ages,when i came back to update some of my own threads i couldn't and some of the threads were missing?
sorry if this post is a little offtopic here,just wondering that's all...

anyway here is this huge ash tree we are at right now,you can probably barely make me out standing under it.

all though i must admit the thumb nail option is a blessing,now it only takes a short time to shift through threads here.
View attachment 321720 View attachment 321721 View attachment 321722 View attachment 321723
View attachment 321718

logger,
good to hear from you again. And back with more good pics! :)
Yes, we had some very serious problems with the site. Somebody hacked it and the entire site had to be shut down and "overhauled".
Seems to be back up and running now, but it does look a whole lot different. And yes, a lot of the threads got mixed up and are missing.
No problem posting updates here, it's not off topic. This is "the working man and chainsaw" thread, and you are definitely a working man
and a chainsaw(s)..... :chop:

hey NHlocal.

thanks for the heads up,is it ok to continue i wonder updating my own thread? i'm just not sure if it is better to stick here.
this is a great thread with lots of excellent input.
would like to continue with my own thread too though,i'm just not sure weather it's offtopic for the section or not?

cheers
Dan

Welcome to the forum Logger! I got this site working on my Andriod now so i purpose to check in here in the afternoons. It looks like you like woooood. I'm always trying to give it away after my tree take downs because I don't sale it or burn. If you pay for shipping and handling I sure send you some oak! LoL

Got to climb a couple of pine trees today. Remembered to take a couple of pics when I was almost done. Topped and dropped one, cut another smaller one, and cleaned another of moss and deadwood. Got to use my new ms201 to. Not real impressed with it I must say, but I new that going into it. Will have to modify it for sure.

I've yet to touch that 201 t but from what I've read and watched on here and you tube vids is that its a bit less of a slower cutter compared to the 200 t. I've used the 200t myself and Liked it; though compared to my 355 t I go with its comparable cutting speed, ergonomics and price for sure; however, the things been acting up a bit lately as I've possibly ran into some bad gas or the carb might need re-tune or cleaning . . You have a saw mod person of choice you use or plan on doing it yourself?

I have already started it. Got the muffler opened up, and just have to advance the timing. Its definitely better now. Tuning is still rich though. Its a pain to tune with the limiter on the coil. Havnt had time to really fine tune it yet. After only a couple days of use I have already broke it lol. Was taking down a smallish oak right next to a house, real tight area and had to be pieced down. Normally I just use a caribeener to attach the saw to my belt, but I have been trying out my lanyard and had it attached to the caribeener so the saw sat higher when it was on my belt. Cut a small chunk and had to lower the saw so I could throw the chunk away from the house, and dropped the saw and grabbed the lanyard to lower it. The lanyard had somehow come off the caribeener and fell to the ground. It was only about 15' ish but now the stop switch dosnt work. Have to choke it to kill it now. Should be an easy fix though.

I have already started it. Got the muffler opened up, and just have to advance the timing. Its definitely better now. Tuning is still rich though. Its a pain to tune with the limiter on the coil. Havnt had time to really fine tune it yet. After only a couple days of use I have already broke it lol. Was taking down a smallish oak right next to a house, real tight area and had to be pieced down. Normally I just use a caribeener to attach the saw to my belt, but I have been trying out my lanyard and had it attached to the caribeener so the saw sat higher when it was on my belt. Cut a small chunk and had to lower the saw so I could throw the chunk away from the house, and dropped the saw and grabbed the lanyard to lower it. The lanyard had somehow come off the caribeener and fell to the ground. It was only about 15' ish but now the stop switch dosnt work. Have to choke it to kill it now. Should be an easy fix though.

I've done that a good few times like a dingbat. I dropped an 18 inch saw and bent the bar and another time forgot the attach my echo 271 to closer to my belt, and when I went to swing back closer to the trunk of a large tree it swung faster on the saw lanyard right below me and shatterd hard into the trunk. Had to buy new handle - where sits the kill switch, throttle, and carb housing. I've got the parts to put it together I just need to quit putting it off and finish putting it together.

Spelling edit . . ..

- Sent to you from my 3120 xp :chainsaw:

Last edited:
The 201 is not a bad saw. Its just choked up from epa regs. It runs much better with the muffler opened up, and with the timing advance its supposed to be better than the 20o. My 200 has an air leak and I just dont have time to find it and fix it.

1461868_10201153473301904_1083108990_n.jpg

Here is a picture of three peaces of gear that I had picked up to help me on that job with the power line incident. Never used a hand ascender before. I used a peace of rope attached to it that hooked to my right foot, and the new left foot ascender for my left foot this time. Everything was hooked Hooked up with the Drt system made that made my ascending back up into the canopy real stepping breeze.

The Silk saw I had to re-purchase because this ex-girlfriend kicked me out because I'm an Clint eastwood type ass hole that won't put up with her mouth and she wouldn't let me get my silk hand saw back LoL The thing cuts like butter.

One thing after another. I guess the bad and good things do come in threes or something. Turns out I can't get my mini-van registered without jumping a few more hurdles. Might just have to go to south carolina to avoid the taxes on it, cheaper registration, and get my drivers licence over there too instead is a must. Too many silly little laws and hurdles in NC i.m.o. The rich get freedom and poor folks get squashed. So with that my next option is to just join forces with my old business partner instead, and I'll just have to make up for my loss with much more of a relentless job pick ups and better sales. Try to keep my head up.

Last edited:
View attachment 322088

Here is a picture of three peaces of gear that I had picked up to help me on that job with the power line incident. Never used a hand ascender before. I used a peace of rope attached to it that hooked to my right foot, and the new left foot ascender for my left foot this time. Everything was hooked Hooked up with the Drt system made that made my ascending back up into the canopy real stepping breeze.

The Silk saw I had to re-purchase because this ex-girlfriend kicked me out because I'm an Clint eastwood type ass hole that won't put up with her mouth and she wouldn't let me get my silk hand saw back LoL The thing cuts like butter.

One thing after another. I guess the bad and good things do come in threes or something. Turns out I can't get my mini-van registered without jumping a few more hurdles. Might just have to go to south carolina to avoid the taxes on it, cheaper registration, and get my drivers licence over there too instead is a must. Too many silly little laws and hurdles in NC i.m.o. The rich get freedom and poor folks get squashed. So with that my next option is to just join forces with my old business partner instead, and I'll just have to make up for my loss with much more of a relentless job pick ups and better sales. Try to keep my head up.

cj,
this is a video of the basic ascending system I'm using right now, I'm still working on customizing a LOTS(Lanyard Over The Shoulder)strap to hook the bungee cord and the Hitch Hiker tether to.....
it's a work in progress, but it works great. Take a look and let me know what you think.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UjoGoNaiWBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Brian 13. I to am a career firefighter. 12 years and counting. Local 191 watertown ny. It's been pretty busy hear last couple of days, we got 2 feet of snow overnight.

Latest posts

Back