The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cj,
this is a video of the basic ascending system I'm using right now, I'm still working on customizing a LOTS(Lanyard Over The Shoulder)strap to hook the bungee cord and the Hitch Hiker tether to.....
it's a work in progress, but it works great. Take a look and let me know what you think.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UjoGoNaiWBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NHlocal,

That looks like a nice set up. Might be better for me to go that rout . That hitch hiker set up is that the cord with the ascender by your left knee? That's what its called? I noticed that you went right on up with ease without fighting the your rope to tail through your right foot ascender? I had a petzel ascender that I lost for my right foot and I always had to pull myself up a bit to get enough weight at the end of the rope to freely tail through my foot ascender. I think the new ascender that I have works a lot smoother now . . . What do you call that set up , is there a vid on youTube somewhere that I can check it out a bit more in detail and learn? I think it will work with my d.r.t preference. Nice work NHlocal!

Last edited:
NHlocal,

That looks like a nice set up. Might be better for me to go that rout . That hitch hiker set up is that the cord with the ascender by your left knee? That's what its called? I noticed that you went right on up with ease without fighting the your rope to tail through your right foot ascender? I had a petzel ascender that I lost for my right foot and I always had to pull myself up a bit to get enough weight at the end of the rope to freely tail through my foot ascender. I think the new ascender that I have works a lot smoother now . . . What do you call that set up , is there a vid on youTube somewhere that I can check it out a bit more in detail and learn? I think it will work with my d.r.t preference. Nice work NHlocal!

cj,
No, the Hitch Hiker is kinda the same as your hitch pulley and friction hitch. It serves the same function but FAR MORE versatile, I can use my Hitch Hiker SRT which gives almost unlimited options for climbing/working. Here is a good video that shows it's use SRT and DRT..... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BWEqDgaux8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My "knee ascender" system allows me to climb pretty much hands free like you saw in my video. I basically copied the Haas system, here's a video on it..... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m49BBFJN5lA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
.....and take a look at this, 75 foot climb in 15 seconds! <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/maZyIShNDJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is an earlier version of my climbing system, it shows the basic pieces of gear that I still use right now(put together a bit different)..... <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iqwJ3r1qFf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There really is a lot of information out there on this type of climbing gear, and it's only one of many options. I use it 'cause it's basic, simple, and not much to it.
Hope that helps.
Work safe.

I've got a problem with my top handle finally taking a dump on me. Just seems like when it starts getting warm it acts like its running really lean I think. The thing starts screaming at really high rpm's and starts cutting off. When it gets hot it seems like its just revving way too high so I'm guessing its running lean. I sure hope i haven't been running it too lean. Never even messed with the carb on this one but maybe I probably should of because echo (from what I've heard) sends there saws out lean to get past the epa. I have a five year waranty on this thing. It seams solid, I'm hoping i just have a carb issue or something. Always put alcohal treatment in my gas. I'm going to have to start a forum on this and hopefully I can get some guidance through this thing. I've got all the tools and if i need more tools lowes is right around the corner. Need this thing to run right like right now!cs 355.jpg

Click the grey "chainsaw" tab above the title of this thread ("The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!"), and then click the green "post new thread") on the upper right of the chainsaw forum index.

Hey Brian 13. I to am a career firefighter. 12 years and counting. Local 191 watertown ny. It's been pretty busy hear last couple of days, we got 2 feet of snow overnight.

I have 8 years career and 1 volunteer. This is our busy time of the year, but it seems like I have been a lot busier with tree work this year. We have been pretty slow this year for calls.

I've got a problem with my top handle finally taking a dump on me. Just seems like when it starts getting warm it acts like its running really lean I think. The thing starts screaming at really high rpm's and starts cutting off. When it gets hot it seems like its just revving way too high so I'm guessing its running lean. I sure hope i haven't been running it too lean. Never even messed with the carb on this one but maybe I probably should of because echo (from what I've heard) sends there saws out lean to get past the epa. I have a five year waranty on this thing. It seams solid, I'm hoping i just have a carb issue or something. Always put alcohal treatment in my gas. I'm going to have to start a forum on this and hopefully I can get some guidance through this thing. I've got all the tools and if i need more tools lowes is right around the corner. Need this thing to run right like right now!

I agree with Aaron, sounds like an air leak. Same problem I have with me 200t. Need to do a vacuum test to verify where its at. Impulse line, intake boot, fuel line and crank seals are possible culprits.

Ok, so the saw is not even a year old. Maybe I should discontinue this maybe of what I'm going to do is pull the tabs out from the high and low. It sounds like it would make more sense that I could have an air leak somewhere because the saw wasn't always like this. I noticed it a couple months ago doing this but just gradually got worse. My dealer gave me a five year warranty on this so maybe I should just check a few things out and make it look like i never touched it? I remember that I worked for a contractor and used his gas. I'm afraid that gas might have been a mistake but I'm not sure if I even used it in this saw or not. I always put good gas in my stuff. I will never ever use some idiots gas again!!!

Anyways, Carb pops out real easily . wasn't very technical at all ; although, I want to find the plug and pull it so I can see what color it shows too, and maybe peer into the cylinder if i can find my way in without tearing the whole thing down!hook kit.jpg

If its under warranty let them look at it. They may not want to cover it if you try to fix it first. Most likely an air leak, and not bad gas.
ya, Ok man maybe thats what I need to do then. just put the carb back in , put it together and take it in. But I'll be waiting a dagon month! I might have to try to purchase and extra 355 t or just go find a cheap one off craigslist or something.

Well now where is everybody? Ok, so today I got subbed out for taking three small elm trees down. first one was across the street from a power line. So what I did was take a stick about the length of an ax to measure its fell zone. Worked great. Some cool thing I learned and was right on the mark. Second tree I hand to rig about two branches, used the end of my climb line like Nhlocal did and wrapped around a nub for friction, was easy and fast. Now the Third!!! Was full of vines. I cussed and screamed at it I hate vines in trees. What a cluster. I climbed up into the crotch of it to find some big peaces of poop from something living in it! I took my time and looked through it for cavities on my way up, tied off part of the top, had the guys pull, made my notch, and as that top hit the ground two fat corn fed coons popped out of it and dashed off. I could have been ravenged by coons if I had gone up it any hire! Anyways . . . still alive. Second day without having a beer to drink too. Yall be very SAFE!

Haven't ran a saw in quite a while. Haven't even worked on them much in going on two months! This sucks. Will be back at it soon. Only saw stuff I've done is ship a buncha saw parts throughout the country. Received a few too...:D

Mostly I've been shipping bars and bar tips to folks in the "Christmas" thread. I'm also starting to part out some of my parts saws. Will be sellin' some of those parts on feebay. Will be selling a saw or two as well. Gotta make some room and recoup some $$$ for parts and such.

14" of snow Sunday morning, 4" more tonight. I guess winter has started. Oh yeah, it was -5 this morning. Puttin' a lot of wood through the woodstove. ;)
Gettin' a little "cabin fever" already and winter hasn't even started, I gotta get out and do some tree work..... :dizzy:

I'm way up past my bed time. Had to get me a top handle running (while my 355 T sits in the dealership) ,so finally put my little echo 271 t back together with new parts since I smashed it about 6 months ago.
It fired right up. A whole weird familiar feeling finally holding it and running it again. :D 20131218_012826.jpg

Back