The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the second tree. The strong wind kept me from dropping it perfectly into the drainage area but I got it pretty close for what I was working with. These two trees are the largest I have ever dropped. So it was kind of a big day for me. These were the last two trees of the day.

They sure thunder the ground when the hit.
204901d1319933263-farm-jpg

204900d1319933237-farm-1-jpg
The culmination of 80 years of chainsaw technology!

Last edited:
A couple healthy rounds in there Matt! I had a day like that once, but after getting stuck in the mud had to unload all the wood we just cut, and split. All for nothing, even threw snow chains on, and no go. Parmeters dad had to come with rope, and a snatch block. His dad was the one who cut that big redwood.

What to they do with the bark off one of those huge trees? Does it get turned into some type of bark mulch..just wondering.

Struggle the mill I used to work at, sold the bark, chips, shavings whatevere. One thing about milling redwood there was zero waste. I am not sure what else was done with the bark, but thats what I remember.

In that picture it looks thick enough to burn in a wood stove not that it would be any good for it but appears dense.

I saw some show maybe modern marvels about wood processing and remember the bark striping machines but that was on small stuff where it cut/knocked bark off the tree after running it through cutter of sorts.

Clearly that tree is not going through any machine like that.

That would be impressive to see a log that size milled.

Thick bark, and real soft, strips away with a axe easy. Or spurs while climbing gotta be carefull. The mill I worked at milled some big ones, but would probably have to rip those with a chainsaw first.

The year was 1986,
I got a call from the Cemetery they wanted a price on removing abot 85 Eucalyptus
trees. The trees were along there property line on the other side of a 6ft fence.
They wanted the trees cut off at ground level. The trees were abot 4 to 8 feet in
from the fence. There was no access from the other side it droped down in to a
a natural strom drain. All around the trees were large bushes that they did not
want damaged. So to climb each tree and and lower all the limbs and wood down by
ropes. This would work but would smash down some of the bushes right by the trees
and they did not want this to happen. A crane that would work but cost to much and
they would not allow heavy equipment like that to drive on there lawns.
So I got this idea. I went home and started drawing up my idea. When I was
at the Cemetery I took mesurements. The next day I turned in my bid.
Abot three days later they told me I got the job. Off to the steel yard I went to
get heavy duty 3x5 box tubing 1/4 thick and a few other steel items. In my
garage I built my tree catching stand. Cutting,grinding and welding and
in a few nights after work I had it done. This for me was exciting to try out
because if this worked well it was going to save so much time and make this
job very profitable. It would also make it easy to do. Some of these trees
were close to 100ft tall. Chainsaws we were using 056, 064 stihl Super EZ
Super XL and Super XL925. This stand is 7ft 6inch tall, 6ft wide at the top,
Has a 10ft long arm with sharks teeth on the end. :lol:
What we did was clamp the end with the sharks teeth to the tree with a
chain and binder. I took my little 59 chevy boom truck and hooked on to the
stand and pulled down on it to keep it from moving.
In every tree we would first put a rope in it to pull it over with.
After we fell the tree I would take the boom truck and lift the tree
off of the stand and saw it up.
This tree catching stand worked out very good. It was great.
I still have it but have not used it in over 20 years
Heres some pics there old and not real great.

faller16.jpg

faller1.jpg

faller4.jpg

faller3.jpg

faller2.jpg

faller7.jpg

faller5.jpg

faller12.jpg

Struggle the mill I used to work at, sold the bark, chips, shavings whatevere. One thing about milling redwood there was zero waste. I am not sure what else was done with the bark, but thats what I remember.

Norm, did you work at the mill that used to be North of Cloverdale?

Cool but I can't see him.:wink2:

He's way up there. Just below the canopy. Helps if you turn you head 90deg CC so you're looking at the tree 'up and down'. Follow the rope up 'til you hit green, then go back down a hair. He's slightly behind the stem. Skinny bugger. Strong as iron though.

205199d1320119265-100_0682-jpg

Last edited:
He's way up there. Just below the canopy. Helps if you turn you head 90deg CC so you're looking at the tree 'up and down'. Follow the rope up 'til you hit green, then go back down a hair. He's slightly behind the stem. Skinny bugger. Strong as iron though.

Ok I see him now.:smile2:

attachment.php

Mrbowsaw, that was an incredible invention, and story I sent you a REP, mt friend! Aaron I used to work at Berry's sawmill, good old green chain! Then went to work in the yard. Neil John is 31 now I think, and he has been at it for 20 years maybe more. He has been going to the wood's since he was in diapers. Started sawing, and climbing very young. My buddy is a contractor, and we ar going to work on getting legit. We do jobs for friends, and family, and there friends, and some others. Here is another couple pics.View attachment 205323View attachment 205324View attachment 205325

Back