The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Norm---I used to be a working man--can i post some pics of my saw's--------Kim---I remember when the ball field was dug out at montgomery--all the logger's had their cat's there------to bad no Digital camera's then!

View attachment 205938View attachment 205939

Norm---here are a couple from when we cut this oak down in my front yard. about 3' at the butt. (tree was dying) and of-course this is not me in the tree. It's a friend, and he is a pro.

You and arron worked at berry's s/m? so you know Bruce of course and Bill Tourady------Bill was one of my best friends growing up in caz. I also worked at the mill when it was in town on the plainer with Bill, and Bud Baswell was running it. Bud was a close friend also. good times----Kimble

I didn't work at that mill Kimble. Just used to drive by it. Grew up in the rural area between Sebastopol, Petaluma, and Cotati.

View attachment 205938View attachment 205939

Norm---here are a couple from when we cut this oak down in my front yard. about 3' at the butt. (tree was dying) and of-course this is not me in the tree. It's a friend, and he is a pro.

You and arron worked at berry's s/m? so you know Bruce of course and Bill Tourady------Bill was one of my best friends growing up in caz. I also worked at the mill when it was in town on the plainer with Bill, and Bud Baswell was running it. Bud was a close friend also. good times----Kimble

At what point do the climbers call off climbing a tree with that type of lean and the fact it died of dieseas. You just get a gut feeling on your way up to not go any further. Knock as you go for soundness?

That looks spooky to me:eek2:

Bob great stuff, nice pig! Must be the sugar cane LOL! Kim I know Homer real well, great guy! That would be a great picture to get ahold of, the field digout. The Duncans mill's general store believe it or not, used to have some of the best pictures around, of our area. Man I wanted them bad! Even had one of Black bart, when they caught up with him. All kinds of good stuff, great redwood pics too! Of course you can post pics! Struggle got a first name? Climbing is a special art, seen alot of em, lotta inexperienced ones, shiaty ones, hackers! Dangerous ones, and few great-really good ones that have really impressed me. Im am lucky to have such a great friend like John, we have learned alot from each other. Tree wise me more from him.Seen alot of guys talk the talk, and John usually had to bail them out or we did the job. He's the real Mccoy! Takes alot of experience, you size it up look at it from all angles. Yeah definately feel it out look for any hazards or defect's. Some rotten stuff yeah you just cant climb, we had dead tan oak's on a job, and they were dicey! Anywhere from 12-24 inches 60-100 ft. Some of the tallest staraight ones Ive ever seen, trying to grow up into the sun through neighbooring trees. John had to swing in on a few from the soundest one's. The last two were the worst, he had to swing over from a neighbooring redwood, about 70ft up. Aaron good to see ya around!:clap:

Bob great stuff, nice pig! Must be the sugar cane LOL! Kim I know Homer real well, great guy! That would be a great picture to get ahold of, the field digout. The Duncans mill's general store believe it or not, used to have some of the best pictures around, of our area. Man I wanted them bad! Even had one of Black bart, when they caught up with him. All kinds of good stuff, great redwood pics too! Of course you can post pics! Struggle got a first name? Climbing is a special art, seen alot of em, lotta inexperienced ones, shiaty ones, hackers! Dangerous ones, and few great-really good ones that have really impressed me. Im am lucky to have such a great friend like John, we have learned alot from each other. Tree wise me more from him.Seen alot of guys talk the talk, and John usually had to bail them out or we did the job. He's the real Mccoy! Takes alot of experience, you size it up look at it from all angles. Yeah definately feel it out look for any hazards or defect's. Some rotten stuff yeah you just cant climb, we had dead tan oak's on a job, and they were dicey! Anywhere from 12-24 inches 60-100 ft. Some of the tallest staraight ones Ive ever seen, trying to grow up into the sun through neighbooring trees. John had to swing in on a few from the soundest one's. The last two were the worst, he had to swing over from a neighbooring redwood, about 70ft up. Aaron good to see ya around!:clap:

The only people I could get any climbing learning from would be my lineman father and climbing poles would be far different from a tree. Also I would want to lose a few lbs before doing it. Almost all the tree work I have seen done around here is from a bucket. I am sure someone probably still does it but not very many in these parts.

Shane

Shane, a pole would be a good starter for basics, with spurs, and flipline for sure, and yes after a little of that trees are alot different, but mastering the basics are important. We are schooling a good friend, and partner currently. Jesus Ill post a pic of our last job. The one where John was 160 feet up the redwood. We got Jesus a ways up a neighbooring fir tree. He has alot of natural skill, and ability. The major tree companies here use bucket trucks, as much as the can. So do we at the county road dept, where I work, and we do alot of tree work.

Shane---this was the first year the big oak didn't have any leaves on it. the smaller one was in worse condition. my tree guy wanted to take it down as soon as possible, while it was still in good shape. next year he probably wouldn't have climbed it. couldn't just fall it, would have taken out a bunch of small stuff. I spent 30yrs climbing poles for the phone comp. trees are very different as i have been up a few over the yrs, and not real high ones. didn't enjoy it much.

Last edited:
I'd cut from a bucket.....................but you're not going to get me to climb more than about 6' up a tree.........................and that's if you're REAL persuasive. I have an arborist buddy who has since moved to southern Oregon. He climbs like a freakin' monkey, and has been a professional for almost 30 years. Skinny and strong like John P. too. They can have that "fun". It's not for me. I'll stay on the ground and buck up stuff, fix saws, and run equipment......:D

A few years ago.

This is me up in a eucalyptus tree. I was getting ready to rope some limbs down.
This was at a bank in Pasadena. The limbs were over the top of there bank and they
wanted the tree cut back away from the roof.

attachment.php

This is one my guys that worked for me up in this eucalyptus tree.
The cemetery we were working at wanted the tree topped.

attachment.php

This is one of my brothers that work for me for a while up this eucalyptus tree.
This tree is was growing over the top of a Large water tank at the cemetery.
They wanted the tree cut down. You can see a piece of wood falling.
This tree was growing on the side of hill above the water tank.
The Water tank is about 30 ft lower then the bottom of this pic.

attachment.php

Ive been here long enough, and feel silly anymore going by site names, so Mrbowsaw what is youre name? That is very impressive, and great pictures! And as you know Euacalyptus are not easy to climb. Awesome very impressed:clap:

A few years ago.

This is me up in a eucalyptus tree. I was getting ready to rope some limbs down.
This was at a bank in Pasadena. The limbs were over the top of there bank and they
wanted the tree cut back away from the roof.

attachment.php

This is one my guys that worked for me up in this eucalyptus tree.
The cemetery we were working at wanted the tree topped.

attachment.php

This is one of my brothers that work for me for a while up this eucalyptus tree.
This tree is was growing over the top of a Large water tank at the cemetery.
They wanted the tree cut down. You can see a piece of wood falling.
This tree was growing on the side of hill above the water tank.
The Water tank is about 30 ft lower then the bottom of this pic.

attachment.php

Real nice!!!! I hope to be able to climb like that someday. Right now, dont think I could let go of the tree long enough to make a cut LOL.

Just started, most all on my own. I had a friend that I met on here that lives locally come help me with that pine tree I posed pics of, and give me a run down on how it works. After that I bought the rest of the gear I needed, and have been climbing trees at my parents when time allows. Been trying to get a job dragging brush for somebody, but havnt had any luck. I am already a full time Fire Fighter, and those that are looking for someone on the ground want full time, and those that would work with my schedule want experienced climbers. So for now I am practicing on my own. I understand the basics, just have no confidence. Need some time with climbers. It amazes me watching a good climber in a tree.

You got the right attitude, and thats huge. Being with a good climber is key. You will get more confident each time out. We are working with one of our good friend's now. My friend John is schooling him. To bad you werent closer, you could meet up with us, and help on some jobs. Posted pics before, but Ill put em up for you John 160ft up a redwood. The one topping he is 100 ft up in a fir tree. Keep in touch you need help ever just ask Norm.....View attachment 206209View attachment 206210View attachment 206211

A few trees I took down in the spring clearing a building lot for someone. Haven't been able to d much felling since:msp_sad:.
TreecuttingApril30015-Copy.jpg
TreecuttingApril30017-Copy.jpg
TreecuttingApril30013-Copy.jpg
TreecuttingApril30024-Copy.jpg

Nice pics Jim, and good face on that stump. Looks like you have a good saw arsenal. Poulan in the pic eh not listed? Seen one before of that model.

Nice pics Jim, and good face on that stump. Looks like you have a good saw arsenal. Poulan in the pic eh not listed? Seen one before of that model.

I sold that one and my ported 044 to buy this:
190051d1310266351-0707111908-jpg
1106111144.jpg

I miss that PP 415, it had a full wrap handle and it cut like a dream. Very hefty for the displacement. The 044 is also missed but those are easy to find around here, the 9010 is not easy to find and the best part of it is that I got it brand new at cost from my Dolmar dealer who is also a good friend of mine.

Ive been here long enough, and feel silly anymore going by site names, so Mrbowsaw what is youre name? That is very impressive, and great pictures! And as you know Euacalyptus are not easy to climb. Awesome very impressed:clap:

Real nice!!!! I hope to be able to climb like that someday. Right now, dont think I could let go of the tree long enough to make a cut LOL.

Thanks.:msp_smile:

My name is Cliff.

Latest posts

Back