ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Them weird clumps in the stove ?

babybart

babybart

ArboristSite Guru
I get them no matter the wood I burn, red/white oak, white pine, poplar, hickory. They are only front center where the air enters the firebox.

Del_

Career arborist
My Jotul F600 CB must be burning that carbon. Ash in the Jotul drops through a grate in the base in the stove into an ash pan that has a separate door. The gaps in the grate are about 1/4 inch or so. Not a clinker in 20 years.

moresnow

moresnow

ArboristSite Operative
My Jotul F600 CB must be burning that carbon. Ash in the Jotul drops through a grate in the base in the stove into an ash pan that has a separate door. The gaps in the grate are about 1/4 inch or so. Not a clinker in 20 years.
That's interesting. Very common here. Mostly with Elm. I never get it with softwoods. Actually barely even get any ash when I burn pine.

panolo

panolo

Seldom right...Always opinionated!
HappyHomeowner

HappyHomeowner

ArboristSite Lurker
Yes I get those all the time I think they are as others suggested loosely fused mineral materials probably mostly silica and stuff from soils. I get them from every type of wood I get here, but, every type of wood I get here grows in soil with sand and limestone, granite, sandstone in it in relatively high ratios.