Them weird clumps in the stove ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckRock

Reaction score
Y'all ever get " rocks" in your ash like porous "rocks" I'm guessing sap ash and minerals from the wood + heat ? It's just a wonder me and a few friends have .
*Hint elm and maple seem to make more .

Nope. Although I know what you mean. I mostly burn red maple and white birch. With the odd sugar maple.

I get that on occasion. I burn mostly ash, with a little red and sugar maple

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Get them often, left over carbon is my guess. Some chemist in our group will likely chime in and tell us what it is

My Jotul F600 CB must be burning that carbon. Ash in the Jotul drops through a grate in the base in the stove into an ash pan that has a separate door. The gaps in the grate are about 1/4 inch or so. Not a clinker in 20 years.

My Jotul F600 CB must be burning that carbon. Ash in the Jotul drops through a grate in the base in the stove into an ash pan that has a separate door. The gaps in the grate are about 1/4 inch or so. Not a clinker in 20 years.
That's interesting. Very common here. Mostly with Elm. I never get it with softwoods. Actually barely even get any ash when I burn pine.

Yes I get those all the time I think they are as others suggested loosely fused mineral materials probably mostly silica and stuff from soils. I get them from every type of wood I get here, but, every type of wood I get here grows in soil with sand and limestone, granite, sandstone in it in relatively high ratios.

Latest posts

Back