Thermometer that shows highest temp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So for the sake information/fun/learning and simply knowing...

Is there a thermometer i can place on the stovetop that shows the highest temp it displayed during the temperature fluctuations?

I just thought it would be interesting when i got home from work to be able to see what the highest temp the stove top got to when i dampered it down and left for the day.

Thanks for the info/help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a LOT of ways to do this. What exactly do you want to do with the information, and how much are you willing to spend?

What are the ways?

I don’t know what im willing to spend until i know the ways and know the different costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK this will be the most basic of introductions. I was a nuclear electronics technician in the navy for the best part of a decade, and have also done micrometeorology as part of my forestry duties, so I have quite a bit of experience in atmospheric measurements.

First, you can actually find mercury or alcohol thermometers that have a little bead in the tube that sticks a little at high temp and you have to shake it down to reset it. That'll probably be the cheapest or at least easiest to use. There are also bimetal strip units that have a dial that sweeps to indicate temperature. I've seen them with limit bars that are reset by twisting them back to a nominal zero.

Then there are electronic devices. There are three basic types -- thermocouples, resistance temperature detectors, and thermistors. These measure temperature quite differently. Using a thermocouple, you are measuring a change in voltage proportional to a change in temperature. RTD's are the exact opposite: you measure a change in resistance proportional to a change in temperature. Thermistors are also resistance devices, but they work through different means.

All of these electronic devices need to be plugged into something that can read and display the temperature as measured. A cheap device will have the detector integrated into the display; an example of this would be a digital oral thermometer. Better devices allow you to configure detector and display as needed.

Here's where the "what do you want to do with the data" part comes in. If you want it to output in some sort of useful digital form, like a table that can be inputted into a spreadsheet, you'll pay more. If you are happy to take notes by hand, a glass or bimetal unit will do. As for prices, I'd start by searching Amazon. You can pay anywhere from pennies to thousands of dollars depending on features.

This might work, or something like it.

347fd7021374808f7db438a7d03f7461.jpg

Along with something like this.

345efb1ee598064403f1e0894ec9d963.jpg

Back