Thermostatic valve question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting ready to plumb in my Classic Edge 350. I would like to have my oil furnace heat the wood boiler loop if the wood boiler shuts down. I am plumbing my wood boiler from a plate exchange straight into my oil boiler. I understand this will use more oil heating a third loop. My question is with the thermostatic control valve in line will it let this happen, or will i need to put in a by pass around it?

Are you running antifreeze in your boiler loop? I can assume so, since your running it through a heat exchanger. Do you have other “zones” your heating with the boiler that the furnace is not? I reason I ask, is because you’ll be horrible inefficient trying to keep the boiler loop up to temp. I doubt the furnace will ever be able to get it up to 160 degrees that the boiler puts out. I don’t believe flat plate style heat exchangers are designed to be run “backwards”.

You can always plumb it all together with out the valve and run the furnace to see what kind of temp the boiler loop would get up to.

The wood boiler would be heating all the zones the oil boiler is. Only 2 zones. I was figuring the plate exchanger wouldn’t work in reverse. I thought about antifreeze but wasn’t sure about it in the CB. Is it boiler specific antifreeze?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I am looking at supply houses selection of antifreeze. The 5 gallon buckets say they come with triple protection corrosion inhibitors. Does that mean I do not have to use CB corrosion inhibitors?

Not sure. I would check with central boiler to see what is covered under warranty. I’m learning that with heatmaster (the brand I plan on installing next year) you need to take an annual water sample and send it in for the warranty to hold up.

Copy, I think I am going to hook it up and see if the oil burner will back feed it at all. I’ll let you know what I figure out.

Are you running antifreeze in your boiler loop? I can assume so, since your running it through a heat exchanger.

Is the Edge 350 pressurized? If not, that would be a reason for an exchanger. Not just antifreeze.

The OP question should likely be asked of Central. Since we weren't provided details of the exact valve type and config.

Is the Edge 350 pressurized? If not, that would be a reason for an exchanger. Not just antifreeze.

The OP question should likely be asked of Central. Since we weren't provided details of the exact valve type and config.

It’s not pressurized so yes that’s why you do the exchanger for the inside sealed boiler. I’m not going to go with antifreeze. I’m hooking it up and seeing what it does. When the oil boiler runs for a bit.

A plate can move heat either way as long as there is flow across each side. Heat will go from hot side to cold side. The thermostat might block cold (below 140) flow so yes you might need a bypass with a separate circ on it that would only run when you want to send heat to the owb. But we dont know anything about your thermostat. So best thing should be ask Central. Is this a built in or OEM Central thing or something aftermarket added on?

A plate can move heat either way as long as there is flow across each side. Heat will go from hot side to cold side. The thermostat might block cold (below 140) flow so yes you might need a bypass with a separate circ on it that would only run when you want to send heat to the owb. But we dont know anything about your thermostat. So best thing should be ask Central. Is this a built in or OEM Central thing or something aftermarket added on?

Are you asking about the thermostatic valve? It is just something CB recommends so the wood boiler can never get sent cold water. I am really not even sure if I would need it because, if the wood boiler isn't running the oil burner would be running. But I was going to place it in line because they recommended it.

Yes I was asking about that - because that's what you were asking about.

I'm not sure if you need a thermostatic valve in your application or not. You might not see return temps low enough to worry about, feeding a flat plate. But I dont know for sure. And the answer to your original question might depend on the specific make/ model of valve you use. So have you asked Central about any of this? They should be able to provide some input?

Its a central boiler valve, I might give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I would contact CB and check how they want it plumbed. You sure don't want to have a issue later and find out the warranty is no good because it was not plumbed correctly when it was installed.

I'm thinking Central doesn't make valves, that they sourced something already available. Either way, yes call them.

Latest posts

Back