They're all lucky to be alive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great fail vid. That incorporates many of my favorite elements in a failed tree felling vid. Morons, aluminum ladder, new chainsaw, power lines. I can only guess the ropes suddenly seemed like a good idea, so they used the aluminum ladder to tie them in? Dunno... No Fear, that's for sure...

The only thing that saved them was evidently the tree was so dry that it had little conductivity. I say little because it had to have some. Trees I have seen in a three phase arc then start sending blue fireballs up and down the lines until the limb burns clear or the substation blows at the distribution transformer. If it was an employee they would have been fired not necessarily for getting it in the lines but for attempting to push it after initial contact. Of course in this case they would be fired for also getting it in the lines as no rope was used.

Well every one knows the the tree will always fall the direction of the face cut regardless of its lean or directional limb weight as long as the back cut is angled from above down toward the face cut, that must be what he did wrong. Upon second review I see that had he hired any good tree service they would have set a pull line with a big shot pre-tensioned the line with a rope puller,used the proper saw so it doesn't look like angry beavers took it down,and wedged the back cut that tree would be on the ground in 10 minutes and all cleaned up in 30 with no need for the power company or pants down spanking in the supermarket humiliation. That's just my cold eye appraisal.

Holy.... at 15 I knew better than to do ANYTHING grandpa did.

Seriously, who sold that man a chainsaw?

Also, they won't always fall in the direction of a normal face cut, I know that from an idiot move I made thinking as much. Lucky me it just grabbed my bar nice and tight and we managed to pull/wedge it over in the right direction.

Sent from a thing using a program

I am not a professional. I cut trees to heat the house with. I will not cut trees that are near power lines unless they are very under the lines. I would not need heat if I were to die. This video shows a good way to complete said death.

I guess when he says at the very start of the clip "should be fun" says it all really.

Back