Thick mulching under 1/2 the tree staying 12" from trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can I mulch 12" to 14" thick on 1 side of a big tree under drip edge mulch 12" from trunk

• less mulch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ground barrier under less mulch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Robert Bajula

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need to know If we can do a thick Mulch 12" to 14" around one side of the tree. Trunk is about 18" to 20" round. Keeping it 12" from the trunk to prevent rotting. I see concrete slabs and driveways covering 1/2 the drip edge all the time and they are still alive. Point being, we want to cover up what will not grow grass and only weeds and thick mulch stops weeds. It is already in place and it looks great but do not want to kill off the tree.

NOOOO to the weed mat. They don't work to control weeds. They inhibit water and air flow between the soil and environment above. They do not allow the decomposing mulch to offer the tree the fabulous benefits it should. It is a terrible product. The only good it does is make money for the person laying it. If you think it a good idea, I recommend just pay the contractor and ask them to not lay it.

I agree that whether mulch is 3-4" or 12", weeds will be about the same in a year or 2. Stick with reasonable depth of 3-4" and either pull or spray weeds or just cultivate the mulch periodically to tear weeds out.

Back