Think you know two-stroke engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Small four-stroke engines commonly have compression ratios of 12-to-1"???

Really? My 1969 Pontiac 400 had a compression ratio of 10.75-to-1 and required high-test gas...I always thought that was fairly "high" compression, and that small 4-stroke engines would be less than that, not more...

100% (because I know UK gearhead slang) but a lot of the questions are dumb. The both ports open at the start of the cycle- they must mean the start of the intake event, where on piston port engines the exhaust is often still open. But that's not a requirement.

Ok guys, another question: what's the engine in the picture?

How did ‘you’ do?

Don't know why you'd care, but whatever........

3a1b169182485e998c5241a91303b023.jpg

26/30. Yeah the oil originating in the carburetor was a tricky one. The multiple choice was something like: sump, carb or neither. I selected neither & got it wrong.

Goofy questions but fun non the less. Didnt know bigger 2 cycles were more efficient. I got it right but didnt know for sure. I found it funny required oil ratio was 4 oz to gallon. Thsts what i do so Thats good lol

Overall, the questions seemed to be either ridiculously easy ("A two-stroke engine operates on how many strokes?") or puzzlingly vague... like all the words were there, but were mixed up in a bingo cage before the question was phrased.

Plus, for some reason (I'm guessing because I use a Mac), I got no score at the end.

The compression ones are odd. I don't think the push mower is running at 12:1 and I don't think the stihl is running at 6:1. The push mower gets 87 octane and the saws get 91 I must be doing it wrong.

Most are in the 6-8:1 on 2 strokes, older flathead 4-strokes were about the same and most modern 4 strokes are in the 8-10:1 range. Only way they're seeing that kind of ratio is if they're taking full cylinder volume to compressed volume which is very inaccurate on a 2-stroke. The true ratio is the swept ratio, it starts measuring at the top of the exhaust port.

Latest posts

Back