Thinking about a 4x4 Forestry Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebiggreenone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice here, as I know very little about buckets or larger trucks in general.

Where I live and work is a rural area, very hilly, full of gravel roads and STEEP gravel driveways, as well as the need to drive in/around fields/pastures. The trees are about 80% doug fir and frequently 60-100 feet tall, properties are frequently on hillsides and 5-20 acres. Even though much of the work I do isn't accessible by any vehicle, having a bucket would allow me do to a little less climbing, do hazard work more safely, limb up firs around houses/driveways very easily and more. Anything under 60-feet is too short, anything over 60 or so is too long a truck for the tight roads/driveways here, must be an over-center bucket. Although it is clearly a large price increase and probably only 5-10% of the buckets out there, I think 4x4 is a must have for my needs/area, and there seem to be a handful of options under $50,000 which is where I'm looking.

Through ebay, Equipment Trader, Commercial Truck Trader and others, basically what I've found in 4x4 is two options: Forestry trucks that have ~60 foot buckets and 11 foot chip boxes, or dedicated bucket trucks with ~60 foot buckets and slightly shorter wheelbases. For whatever reason, the dedicated 4x4 bucket trucks seem to be more expensive than the trucks with chip boxes. I know the ideal is a dedicated bucket and dedicated chip truck, but I'm a very small outfit with limited drivers, work sites have limited space for trucks. A single truck with a bucket and chip box would be a good 'all purpose' rig for my specific needs.

At the moment, this has pointed me in the direction of basically one truck: an International 7300 4x4 Forestry Truck with a DT466 engine and Altec bucket. Here is one that keeps coming up in my searches: https://www.northtexasequipment.com...TRY-BUCKET-TRUCK--Fort-Worth-TX-76179/6669428

I've found a few of these in the $30,000-$75,000 range, with a few under $40k such as the one linked. They seem to be 2007-2010, obviously a utility company selling these off and getting new ones. Each I look at has the same paint job, anyone know what company these are coming from?

Thoughts, advice?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 29
I have looked at Tree Trader a few times but thank you for reminding me. A quick search shows a 4x4 F750 forestry truck ($70k) and yet another of the identical 4x4 International 7300s ($40k). Oh, and a different 7400 for $95k which is out of my price range.

So it looks like Lewis Tree is in NY, do they salt roads there? The one I linked seems to have a fresh painted frame, might that be to hide rust....?

Keep an eye out for J Stout in the Portland area they normally have on of the bucket trucks like that. Ritchie Brothers might have one at Napavine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep an eye out for J Stout in the Portland area they normally have on of the bucket trucks like that. Ritchie Brothers might have one at Napavine too.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on those. It would sure be nice to find one fairly local so I don't have to ship it across the country!

I would look for a ford linesman truck there 4x6 and raised up. Or a five ton army truck.

Just so I understand all my options, I'm still looking at 2-wheel drive trucks as well.

One thing I'm finding is a handful of 'non-CDL' trucks, which as I understand means under 26,000 GVW. That said, I'm seeing a lot of F750s that look identical: same boom, same size dump bed, etc, but some are listed as something like 25,950 pounds and others are 33,000. Some even show a door sticker on the truck with axle weights that add up to 33,000, but the truck is still listed as 'non-CDL.' Not having to deal with the whole CDL thing does sound nice. (of course none of these are 4x4)

What's the difference?

There are some options with out the CDL thing. I have had a CDL for over thirty years so I would get the CDL and not have any limits. Buy a truck get familiar with it and take your tests. What can work is to buy a truck and have it weighed then put your boom back on. Latter on take your tests. Thanks

That only works if your local area departments do not have portable scales- county Sheriffs and State patrol are ones to look out for in that deparment.

Your looking for an odd ball out but look into a forestry truck with a 15 elevator that would be a 75ft truck that’s 4x4 and has a chip box. Still with two down riggers and the same size as a 50 or 60ft forestry truck.

Latest posts

Back