Thinking about getting into the tree service business...what do I need to know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you have written contract for everything you want done, in the way you want it done. I had that today, I followed the contract, but the homeowner wanted more done. Too bad, the salesman gave you a price for the work on the contract and that's the work I've done. If the contract doesn't say what you wanted, then why did you sign the contract.

So true today my first job this lady wanted to keep all debris from a silver maple trim for her burn pit so here I am cutting everything 1 inch and larger in diameter 16 inches long, yes I felt like a total tool doing so. Then as contract stated leave everything else in a manageable size, which we did in pretty nice piles. I turn onto the street for my second job and I get a call from the office hey the lady from your first job says there is too much how long to chip the pile? Well first of all the estimater musta got a handi when he gave the estimate cause he was off like crazy we already lost money and she wants us to come back to chip what I would have been more then happy to chip when we were there the first time... like shes out there the whole time watching and didn't say a damn thing about how much there was so we left it all. Sorry lady it's clearly written in the contract leave ALL TREE DEBRIS ON SITE in bold. Let's see 15 mins out of our way to get to job 15 mins back and 20 or 30 mins to chip and clean up so that's 1 hour 250 bucks thank you come again. Take it or leave it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Couple of comments
If you're the 3rd job of the day, don't be surprised if the crew shows up at a different time. The jobs in front may go faster or more likely slower than expected.
But what if it's pants off dance off day?

It's 2018, every word in the book is in common usage.

Make sure you have written contract for everything you want done, in the way you want it done. I had that today, I followed the contract, but the homeowner wanted more done. Too bad, the salesman gave you a price for the work on the contract and that's the work I've done. If the contract doesn't say what you wanted, then why did you sign the contract.
Absolutely I have had to inform a customer or two I don't punch a time clock. I'll be there or call on the scheduled day. I however draw the line on appt timing I am not their employee if so they can pay the insurance and equipment upkeep, and advertising and a whole mile long list of other expenses lol.

Old thread but just incase anyone is reading that might find this helpful..

I posted on this forum about 3ish years ago (you can search my name and find the thread) asking for advice on starting a tree business, I got the same negative responses; no money, misery, breakdowns, payroll, etc.

Well I went ahead and started that tree business regardless of the negative feedback and 3 years later I now own my own full time business.

Small operation, I myself am the climber (which I taught myself) and I have 1 full time employee on payroll. I sometimes bring in a 3rd guy on larger jobs. I pay taxes, have insurance, all that crap.

I profit roughly 80,000 per year like this, and that's net. After taxes. Which is above average especially in my area.

However, the work is kinda miserable, and it's a double full time job when you add in the accounting, estimates, advertising, etc.. Its definitely a pain in the ass, and I have broken bones, gotten stitches, been in the hospital because of it. Not a forgiving line of work...

But it beats working for someone else. And one thing I leaned, is if I'm going to put in this much effort, why not apply to something more profitable and easier?

Needless to say, I'm in the process of quitting the tree business and am going to pursue real estate. More money and less liability.

Regardless, I don't regret starting the business, it's been a wealth of real world knowledge, not just tree wise..

This line of work is very dangerous, but there is money to be made, just gotta think outside the box and beat the competition.
Then again, why not just pursue something more profitable???

Good luck y'all

Old thread but just incase anyone is reading that might find this helpful..

I posted on this forum about 3ish years ago (you can search my name and find the thread) asking for advice on starting a tree business, I got the same negative responses; no money, misery, breakdowns, payroll, etc.

Well I went ahead and started that tree business regardless of the negative feedback and 3 years later I now own my own full time business.

Small operation, I myself am the climber (which I taught myself) and I have 1 full time employee on payroll. I sometimes bring in a 3rd guy on larger jobs. I pay taxes, have insurance, all that crap.

I profit roughly 80,000 per year like this, and that's net. After taxes. Which is above average especially in my area.

However, the work is kinda miserable, and it's a double full time job when you add in the accounting, estimates, advertising, etc.. Its definitely a pain in the ass, and I have broken bones, gotten stitches, been in the hospital because of it. Not a forgiving line of work...

But it beats working for someone else. And one thing I leaned, is if I'm going to put in this much effort, why not apply to something more profitable and easier?

Needless to say, I'm in the process of quitting the tree business and am going to pursue real estate. More money and less liability.

Regardless, I don't regret starting the business, it's been a wealth of real world knowledge, not just tree wise..

This line of work is very dangerous, but there is money to be made, just gotta think outside the box and beat the competition.
Then again, why not just pursue something more profitable???

Good luck y'all

Wow, just opened my Tapatalk app for the first time over two years...how’s everyone doing??

Quick update: I did start my company as planned, and began reading everything I could, learning from other experienced folks, attended industry events, and just worked my ass off building a brand in my area. Fast forward two years, and we are making a big dent in the local market. I have five employees plus me, and we are on pace to do half a million in sales. It’s a lot of work, and absolutely wouldn’t be possible without a strong team with each member contributing a critical piece of the puzzle. If I had to put my finger on one critical success factor, it would be treating people right. From employees, to customers, vendors, and subcontractors alike, there is huge professionalism and general ethics vacuum in the world today; if you focus on keeping your promises, the world will open up to you. Accept your weaknesses, and work to grow there; if you need a skill set you don’t possess, find a strong person who has it and pay them well.

I appreciated all of the frank words of caution, and definitely heeded them.

Hope you are all doing well!

Great to hear a success story, I would say that honesty and integrity is indeed vital.
I wish you and your company well.

Back