Thinking hard now....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sky is the limit on projects.
Live edge garage shelving.
0jaFMv5.jpg

Live edge bark on mantles. There is one above and one below the fireplace.
dJMfq33.jpg

Mortise and tenon patio bench. This one was so old it was going on the burn pile.
Ym5Dl3d.jpg

jO9637p.jpg

Rustic fire pit bench.
hm5gSyN.jpg

Another of the bark on mantle.
chuW3lj.jpg

Fold up dinner table for the hunting cabin.
wu4C3fG.jpg

This last one, my wife asked me to build her a plywood bench for her potting shed. I built a 2X4 frame and lost interest. A year later she said she was going on a girls week end with our church, could I please finish her bench. Now she calls it, " The Taj Ma Bench. Live edge fir. All of the screws are from the bottom, no fasteners seen on top.
MbIiSjK.jpg
GOT WOOD?

My big question now is how can I make some decent money with it? What's the market?

Around here, there isn't one.

Another thing is with places like Lowes; being so accessible, swiping a card, ordering on a phone(online), etc....picnic tables, ramps, sheds, wishing wells is almost a fools errand.

What model Wood Mizer are you looking at?

Looking at two machines right now.

WoodMizer LT15Wide https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Portable-Sawmills/LT15WIDE-Portable-Sawmill

Wood Hog https://woodhogsawmills.com/

Wood hog is cheaper and I like the fully welded bed, but their marketing and website really stink. They have a larger cutting head, but there's no info at all about it on the website. They are a very small company that doesn't seem to want to grow, but they certainly have the potential.

I'm not familiar with Wood Hog and couldn't find their prices either but I wouldn't consider anything other than a Wood Mizer. They've been at it, successfully, for a long time, good customer service, quality control, made in America, not going anywhere anytime soon, as good of a resale as you'll get out of a mill.

As far as the LT15 wide, I would jump up to at least a LT28 just for the trailer or go to an even cheaper stationary. That trailer will be invaluable, also opens up portable milling which is all some guys do, and helps the resale. You probably won't saw nearly as many 30 inchers as you imagine, just transporting the log and man handling it will be a job. For as much as most people will ever do a chainsaw mill actually makes sense on the occasional big ones.

Just my thoughts.

Yes, you're right about the log sizes, and we probably won't do much of that. And we can always chainsaw mill one of those monsters in half to get it on a smaller mill. But we've already got one log waiting that is about 36", and chainsaw milling is a lot of work and gas, and hard on the saw.
Besides, my dad has agreed to send me some money, and he's practically paying for the whole thing! Wohoo! Thanks, Pa!

And I'm not interested in portability. There are a number of portable millers in the area and I don't want to get into that. I can get the logs to the mill easily enough and maneuver them around - at least I have some plans to make equipment to do that, and my buddy (on whose property the mill will be) has a large tractor with fork attachment.

Well, against your better advice, I went ahead and did it. Deposit placed, mill on order. WoodMizer LT15 wide.

I should probably mention that there was one other motivation for this - I believe the economy is going to really struggle soon, and it's a good idea to have your money wrapped up in tangable property - tools, goods, land, houses, etc.

And my buddy and I have a need for a bunch of 6x6 posts and some other lumber. We have a large beech tree that we'll use for that. Going to make one of these on his property.

1596756269453.png

Back