Thinking of a 90cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a cheapscape so buget for now is around $500, like you haven't heard that before. Don't have a problem putting money in one later (low compression but runs fair type). The 660 for $900 sounder good, but once I purchase a longer bar and chain I'm not sure it is all that good of a deal. I want around a 28" for starters. So far, the dealers I have checked with is they are run till pretty much dead and don't turn up used much.

For a 500 buck budget I'd look for a good used 064. They are usually in that 4-5 hundo range. My stock one runs a 32 well. And thats not a 32 in 20in. wood. Pulls a 32 nicely buried. Run a 36 on it occassionally too. Plenty of power an a nice weight. A little under your 90cc range however.

Find a burn up 066/660 and put a Baileys BB kit on it. Yes, mine is ported, but I've had several topends on this saw and none of them have run like this one. The last gen of 066BB makes an awesome saw.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vl77TVtfnaM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vl77TVtfnaM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Find a burn up 066/660 and put a Baileys BB kit on it. Yes, mine is ported, but I've had several topends on this saw and none of them have run like this one. The last gen of 066BB makes an awesome saw.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vl77TVtfnaM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vl77TVtfnaM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Agreed, mine is a 064 with the bb kit but the kit seems good so far and makes good power. I just hope it last.

What to do what to do????????????????
Brain overload!!!!!
NEED MORE MONEY!!!!
Need one of each at least, maybe a 3120 :D

Soooooo thinking of a saw to run a 28-32" bar. We have a couple of tree services who bring us wood (for free!!) and along with it we end up with about 1/3 or so larger 48" and up stuff. My 365 and my buddies 044 do a good job but thought it would be nice to have a larger saw and save wear and tear on our current ones. Thinking a used 395xp or MS-660 (not brand loyal). Been watching Craigslist and so far nothing. Not very interested in E-bay as I would like to see what I am buying. One dealer has a demo 660 for $900 with warranty but only a 18" bar so don't feel it is that good of deal. As there is no hurry I plan on just waiting but if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Thanks

Stephanie

Where in Omaha Nebraska?

If you need a saw we can hook you up.

Dealer MS-660 for $900, tell him to throw in a 28 and a 36 and keep the 18.
If its the dealer I'm thinking of in Omaha, they will deal.

i had both a brand new 660 and a 395. I then put a dual port muffler cover on the 660 upping the hp from 7.0 to 7.8 the 395 remained stock. at a mini gtg myself and mdavlee ran both repeatedly. granted the 660 had the dp cover and had atleast 2 if not 3 tanks thru her and it was still dead even if not the 395 maybee out cutting the 660! And mind you, the 395 was brand spankin new, and that was its first tank a gas! I wont even go into the anti vibe issue. Not even close. the 395 was way smoother. and by a lot too.
I tell ya, after that i sold the 660. to me there was NO comparison. that 395 is a dang HOG!
so, i would highly recommend the husky.

Last edited:
I have 066 with dual port muffler. I have no problem cutting big wood with stihl rsc chain. Guy I bought it from cut 50 inch plus logs with it, no problem. and it sounds like a harley too, good for pissin off neighbors :hmm3grin2orange:

I say 066 with dual port muffler, stock 660/066, or stihl 880 or 3120 husky.

remember the 660/066 is a lot lighter than 880, less tired= work longer.

Hope this helps.

Grab an old McCulloch. Maybe a PM1000 or a s44 or d44, or Super 250. Maybe a big Partner.

You could get an older saw for sub $200 in mighty fine condition.

Just be willing to work on them.

Won't cut as fast, but will pull a big bar and they're fun to cut with too!

Let the flames begin.

CT

I like the way you think

Grab an old McCulloch. Maybe a PM1000 or a s44 or d44, or Super 250. Maybe a big Partner.

You could get an older saw for sub $200 in mighty fine condition.

Just be willing to work on them.

Won't cut as fast, but will pull a big bar and they're fun to cut with too!

Let the flames begin.

CT

CT- let me know when you find the next PM1000, or P100 for sub-$200!!!! I'll be all over that! :D :laugh:

Keep in mind guys....the BUDGET is $500....:rolleyes: we're not getting a 880, or 3120 for that price...unless it needs SOMETHING... if you are, I'm in the market for a 3120: D

AL, C'mon Mate! A 390 for $500US beans? not too likely...but MAY BE POSSIBLE IF you found someone desperate to sell.

Stephie-

Just keep looking...you'll find something...too bad you weren't closer. I have a buddy with a 066 he might be selling for around your budget...NOT a 32" bar though :cry:

One other thought (although only 84cc) would be a Makita/Dolmar 6401...I've seen them for 150-300, and for just over $100, you can jump to 84cc..... :clap:

Happy Hunting!!

Jay

660s will typically be in the $500.00+ range, depending on condition.

066s should be in the $500.00 or less range unless mint/excellent condition or complete rebuilds.

064s are antiques and unless mint should be treated as collectors or old beater saw items by the casual purchaser. The price will be all over the place.

I would recommend looking for a 066 or 181/281/288 Husqvarna. As parts for both are still available OEM and AM and common. Unless mint or complete rebuilds they are old enough that they should be in the sub $500.00 range.

There are a lot of 90cc saws out there that can be had cheaper but parts can be a hassle to get and expensive.

394s are common in the sub $500.00 range but parts are not as common or cheap.

395s are typically in the $500+ range unless beaters or a lucky day. Parts are more common and can be cheaper.

385/386s are available in the $500.00 range. Tend to be beaters and in my opinion not a very good deal at the typical price for those saws.

Price out some bar and chain combos from one of the site sponsors as people that sell used saws with big bars tend to think the bar and chain are made out of gold.

The Dolmars and Solos can be found but getting parts can be more difficult and there is a signicant lack of AM choices so they tend to be expensive to fix.

The Jonsered 2094/95s while a personal favorite I would not recommend because of part availiblity better than the Solos but not like Husky and Stihls. Great Jonsereds though.

Last edited:
To the OP
/edit - this was posted while I was composing:
660s will typically be in the $500.00+ range, depending on condition.

066s should be in the $500.00 or less range unless mint/excellent condition or complete rebuilds.
Right now way over $500 on the average.
For the pulse of the market check ebay completed listings on what your buying. Even non running parts saws are near $500.

If you have to stick to $500 be prepared to wait till after Christmas. Right now used prices are approaching record levels.
I've been tracking COMPLETED listings of Stihl 066/660 sales on ebay off and on for over a year now. Last week the average price, not including the ones listed as "new", was about $720 w/ shipping. And note, some peeps sell the saws with FREE shipping, some charge up to $100.

I bought this freshly rebuilt powerhead for $515 last January.

attachment.php

Last December prices were in the $600+ range. Prices crept down a little more after January.

Keep an eye out for CL and estate sales, but they tend to track ebay prices.

If you go for a 660 don't pay much extra for a muffler modded saw, they aren't worth it. You can do it yourself with a Dremel or for $50 buy a DP cover from Bailey's. And be wary of claims of "woods ported". If that's properly done it's worth $$. However I think some peeps drop the muffler, clean up the exhaust and call it "woods ported".

I've got both and they are LOUD and PROUD.

I don't know dip about huskies, but the 660 with it's inboard clutch and side chain tensioner also makes an ideal lower end milling saw. Open it up w/ a DP muffler, get er' snellerized and your approaching 880 stock power.

Last edited:
or stihl 880 or 3120 husky.

Poor choice no matter how much money you have :) They have their place but trust me, these big saws are popular with those guys that don't own one or haven't spent much time on them :cheers: They are punishing to use for long periods and absolute gas guzzlers.

Poor choice no matter how much money you have :) They have their place but trust me, these big saws are popular with those guys that don't own one or haven't spent much time on them :cheers: They are punishing to use for long periods and absolute gas guzzlers.

Good morning/afternoon, how the heck are you?

There is a reasonable response.

What about an older saw. You can grab a homelite 1050 or a 925 for around $300 in great condition. They will both run a 28" bar easily and parts are plentiful for them. put the other 200 in your pocket for your next saw.

Thanks for all the replies. Justsaw and Gemniii, that is kind of what I was looking for and I have no trouble waiting for as long as needed to find the right saw. If I see an older Homie, Mac or Poland, I will be sure to check them out. Never seem to see any around here. Our 365 & 044 with the 20" bars are doing the job without that much trouble. Just be handy on the really big stuff to have something bigger. $500 is my starting point. We will see where it goes from there :)

Last edited:
Back