Thinking of a 90cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all you are doing is smashing up tree service/salvage wood, run the shortest bar you can get away with. Salvage wood is always loaded with metal and if there is something in the butt, you will hit it, guaranteed. I do a lot of this kind of work and the typical saw is a 372xp running a 24” bar. If you are on a budget, the Makita dcs-6401 will be fine. Run it with a 20 or 24 and put on the 28 for the few times you really need it. You can convert it later into a 7900 if you feel you need more power. My 2 cents.

I've had a couple 390xps, a 660, 064, and a 394. The 394 was the strongest and was cheaper than the 660. I bought all of them used except one 390. I like huskys better personally but wouldn't turn down a good deal on a 066/660. I want to get one ported to run against the 390 to see if I'm missing something. If you're not going to run over a 28" bar get a big bore kit for your 365 and it will be 76 cc and pull a 28" bar just fine.

CT- let me know when you find the next PM1000, or P100 for sub-$200!!!! I'll be all over that! :D :laugh:

Keep in mind guys....the BUDGET is $500....:rolleyes: we're not getting a 880, or 3120 for that price...unless it needs SOMETHING... if you are, I'm in the market for a 3120: D

AL, C'mon Mate! A 390 for $500US beans? not too likely...but MAY BE POSSIBLE IF you found someone desperate to sell.

Stephie-

Just keep looking...you'll find something...too bad you weren't closer. I have a buddy with a 066 he might be selling for around your budget...NOT a 32" bar though :cry:

One other thought (although only 84cc) would be a Makita/Dolmar 6401...I've seen them for 150-300, and for just over $100, you can jump to 84cc..... :clap:

Happy Hunting!!

Jay

I'll let you know after I pick it up:yoyo:

CT

If all you are doing is smashing up tree service/salvage wood, run the shortest bar you can get away with. Salvage wood is always loaded with metal and if there is something in the butt, you will hit it, guaranteed. I do a lot of this kind of work and the typical saw is a 372xp running a 24” bar. If you are on a budget, the Makita dcs-6401 will be fine. Run it with a 20 or 24 and put on the 28 for the few times you really need it. You can convert it later into a 7900 if you feel you need more power. My 2 cents.

:agree2: If you go the HD 6401 route you could get the OEM 7900 topend and stay in budget or use the 85cc BB kit from Bailey's and save several more dollars. There's a nice looking 6401 on the Trading Post now for $400. :cheers:

:agree2: If you go the HD 6401 route you could get the OEM 7900 topend and stay in budget or use the 85cc BB kit from Bailey's and save several more dollars. There's a nice looking 6401 on the Trading Post now for $400. :cheers:

Wait, isn't that what I said?? :D :cheers:

One other thought (although only 84cc) would be a Makita/Dolmar 6401...I've seen them for 150-300, and for just over $100, you can jump to 84cc..... :clap:

Happy Hunting!!

Jay

I've had a couple 390xps, a 660, 064, and a 394. The 394 was the strongest and was cheaper than the 660. I bought all of them used except one 390. I like huskys better personally but wouldn't turn down a good deal on a 066/660. I want to get one ported to run against the 390 to see if I'm missing something. If you're not going to run over a 28" bar get a big bore kit for your 365 and it will be 76 cc and pull a 28" bar just fine.

I agree with mitch here, as well...

with the 394 if you don't DESTROY the cyl, parts are EASY to find...almost EVERYTHING other than the cyl, intake, carb and throttle cable is the same as the 395 :D

J

I know I will get flamed for this but this is what I have seen personally.

I would try to get 066/660, they are tried and true good saws.
Yes you will feel more vibes than saws with springs, but I never
have thought they vibe enough to even talk about. I know Husky
guys say the outboard clutch is ok. But I don’t like them at all.
I switch out between .325 and 3/8 chain on 036/361
and on MS880 I switch 3/8 and .404. I would hate to pull
clutch every time to switch pitch. I also like to grease clutch bearing 2 or 3
times a year. I think this is why I have seen more bad clutch
bearings on Huskys than Stihls. Who wants to pull clutch
to grease bearing. I also don’t like chain brakes on clutch cover
on OB clutch saws. I think Stihl’s bar studs and chain adjuster
is a better set up as is the larger bar nuts. It’s a lot of little things.
Need to pull muffler off some of the Husky saws you may get
bar oil everywhere as they screw into oil tank on front of them,
Stihl saws the screws have their own bosses to screw into.
Stihls have metal starter covers, Husky has plastic, thats were XP
comes from on Huskys, Xtra Plastic :). Husky guys hate the
one lever control switch, after using it a bit I don’t want anything thing else.
I have seen a bunch of bad Husky kill switches.

Some of the spring AV saws hide the vibes to operator. Couple years
ago I parted out a couple pickup loads of saws of all makes. I can tell
you I seen more vibration problems from Husky than Stihl by far.
Missing and loose bolts (screws), screw holes stripped out, most were
muffler and carburetor screws. Almost all had broken AV springs.
Stihl’s carb boot IMO is a better than huskys, some of the husky
saws used a hard plastic intake which transfers vibes direct from
cylinder to carb. Have seen some that had been run loose and wore
craters on outside of cylinder port.

Huskys saws same size as Stihl saws seem to cut a little faster than the
Stihls. But IMO wear out faster than Stihls 2 rings, even more so the one ring
Huskys. Again this is just my personal experience, not what I have
read or heard. Am not trying to start a fight about this nor will I get
into one. Like anything else take it for what it’s worth, as this is some of
my likes and dislikes. Really only thing I dislike about Stihl pro saws
are the flip caps, but the 066/660 don’t have them :)

OK flame on :cheers:

TT

For the pulse of the market check ebay completed listings on what your buying. Even non running parts saws are near $500.

Ebay is a poor place to buy used saws in general. It's definitely a seller's market. You can find bargains now and then, however.

You'll find better prices by watching AS's own Trading Post, and by keeping your eye on Craigs List as well as local pawn shops and used saws at saw dealers.

I got my ported/milled MS660 from an AS member for a bit over $400. He listed it in the Trading Post.

Good luck with your search. :)

Ebay is a poor place to buy used saws in general. It's definitely a seller's market. You can find bargains now and then, however.

You'll find better prices by watching AS's own Trading Post, and by keeping your eye on Craigs List as well as local pawn shops and used saws at saw dealers.

I got my ported/milled MS660 from an AS member for a bit over $400. He listed it in the Trading Post.

Good luck with your search. :)

I picked up a late model 066 (poly FW) for less than $300
It looked rough but had 160 lbs comp.

The only thing I hate about PS saws, I hate to think it was stolen.
I ask if the saw was a pawn or someone brought it in to sell.
In my mind if it was a pawn it was like to stolen.
I do not want to own a stolen saw or anything else.

TT

FWIW, in many jurisdictions, PD burglary detectives regularly check computerized inventory lists of the local pawn shops, with the PS owners in full cooperation. Those old school shops with no computerization will get in-person visits.

Not foolproof by any means, but a strong step in the right direction. :clap: :clap:

I know I will get flamed for this ........
OK flame on :cheers:

TT

:chatter: :poke: lol

A little different. Didn't see where you mentioned the Home Depot deal. You also didn't contrast OEM 7900 with 85cc BB kit. Didn't mention the one on TP for $400. Otherwise I guess it was sorta similar. :laugh: :cheers:

I find the HD deals are VERY VERY far and few between...else I WOULD have mnetioned it...as it IS a VERY viable low cost option. well, trying to stay under $500 for the OP, the $400 unit on TP, AND the 79cc OEM, or the BB would be over budget....BUT the saw is basically new :clap:

I was just TRYIN' to exemplify we think alike!!! that's all. be on the lookout for a 67 fastback shell I can build with a 408W, t-56, twin turbo's, etc :D :poke:

Doesn't sound like it's a new go to saw you are after, just something to grunt out bigger work a third of the time. My 2 cents, Id look for something like a well cared for J-red 920 ($250-300), have it tuned, carb kit, check perishables like rim speocket etc. ($100), Pick up a nice bar and a couple chains ($100) = $500. The more popular big saws may be pretty hammered at that price. A 920 might not be as fast as some, but it will cut the same wood - speed in the cut is over rated for most applications. Not ruling out the rare great deal, just plying odds for a good deal and a saw that would get er done.

Ebay is not a source for bargains, imo. Go to your local saw shops, tell them what you are after. They'd rather sell new saws, but that means taking in trades sometimes, ask. It might be sitting in back.

Sawbones with his 930:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3hw4xznHl4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3hw4xznHl4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like it's a new go to saw you are after, just something to grunt out bigger work a third of the time. My 2 cents, Id look for something like a well cared for J-red 920 ($250-300), have it tuned, carb kit, check perishables like rim speocket etc. ($100), Pick up a nice bar and a couple chains ($100) = $500. The more popular big saws may be pretty hammered at that price. A 920 might not be as fast as some, but it will cut the same wood - speed in the cut is over rated for most applications. Not ruling out the rare great deal, just plying odds for a good deal and a saw that would get er done.

Ebay is not a source for bargains, imo. Go to your local saw shops, tell them what you are after. They'd rather sell new saws, but that means taking in trades sometimes, ask. It might be sitting in back.

Sawbones with his 930:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3hw4xznHl4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3hw4xznHl4&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

+1

POWERFUL saws..

that's a BEAUTY!!! I want one for $300!!!!:biggrinbounce2:

just don't SMOKE the top end :D

Sawbones with his 930:

That reminds me of my 2094 the way it cuts. A whole lot a speed and torque. that 930 is a brute.:rockn:

CT- let me know when you find the next PM1000, or P100 for sub-$200!!!! I'll be all over that! :D :laugh:

Keep in mind guys....the BUDGET is $500....:rolleyes: we're not getting a 880, or 3120 for that price...unless it needs SOMETHING... if you are, I'm in the market for a 3120: D

AL, C'mon Mate! A 390 for $500US beans? not too likely...but MAY BE POSSIBLE IF you found someone desperate to sell.

Stephie-

Just keep looking...you'll find something...too bad you weren't closer. I have a buddy with a 066 he might be selling for around your budget...NOT a 32" bar though :cry:

Happy Hunting!!

Jay

Oh I don't know what you pay over there Jay. Just that 066/660's and 394/5's are being mentioned.

Steal one!

Stopped at dealer today, he had a J-red 930 priced at $425
I know he will take a little less for no trade-in cash price.

I took a picture with my cell phone, will try to down load it later.

TT

Ric's 930 is a very nice saw, well made too. I like the red saws.

untitled.jpg

Stopped at dealer today, he had a J-red 930 priced at $425
I know he will take a little less for no trade-in cash price.

I took a picture with my cell phone, will try to down load it later.

TT

Maybe this is a 920 am not sure now........is it a 920 or 930.........CRS I have!

attachment.php

attachment.php

TT

Last edited:
Maybe this is a 920 am not sure now........is it a 920 or 930.........CRS I have!

attachment.php

attachment.php

TT

Likely a 930, unless modified. The only difference I know of is the 920 filter and filter cover mount with a single thumbscrew over center of the intake. 930 filter mounts separate from the cover, cover has thumbscrews off to the side. Offer $375. If it's esp. nice I would not wince at 4 bills. I got a near mint 820 plus a nearly complete 920 parts saw for $300, called it a good deal. Parts avail. is the only queeze factor. Not a big deal though.

edit> maybe steep, but if the dealer will take care of you, as most will, then that counts for something. Better than anonn. e-bay sale half way across the country.

Last edited:
Likely a 930, unless modified. The only difference I know of is the 920 filter and filter cover mount with a single thumbscrew over center of the intake. 930 filter mounts separate from the cover, cover has thumbscrews off to the side. Offer $375. If it's esp. nice I would not wince at 4 bills. I got a near mint 820 plus a nearly complete 920 parts saw for $300, called it a good deal. Parts avail. is the only queeze factor. Not a big deal though.

I just took pics because you guys, didn't know if they are anything special
or hard to come by.

TT

Back