Thinking out loud & seeking answers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saiso

Mountain Ranger
Reaction score
So, there’s a lot going on in my head the last few days as I have a bunch of questions and no answers. I’m mentally and physically getting ready in hopes to sell some softwood logs to my local mill.

Let’s put you guys in perspective.. you and I spoke last season and you’re expected to buy some softwood logs from me. Sizes vary, lengths can if needed.

How do you pay me? Do you pay per cord once the logs are yarded and ready to be milled? Do you mill all the logs, figure out the lumber that was milled, pay me a percentage?

That being said, how do you come up with your prices? So let’s say fir and spruce are 0.65 cents per board ft. What’s your formula that you use? I know this probably varies a lot due to area/demand and may be personal, so PM if needed.

I’d like to get into milling in a few years but have yet a lot to learn. Until then, I plan on selling some softwood logs but want to know how it works, financially.

My best friend will be helping me on the saw and hopefully to skid them out too, so I’m hoping to pay him for the help.

So, knowing the diameters of the log and the length, is there a way that I can find out how much money the guy at the mill is making? Let’s say, knowing the log is X diameter big, X feet long, can we find out the board feet? Then knowing the board feet, I should be able to figure out how much this log is worth, right??

I’m trying to visualize how much money each tree/log is potentially worth at the mill, and also how much money he makes/I make. That way, I can perhaps plan to buy/pay off certain equipment, save for equipment, etc.

Right now, when I look at a specific tree I see, Latin name, usual age/size, soil type, usage, etc. But would love to associate it to $$ signs, too.

So, let’s start talking and maybe this can be clearer as it progresses and other questions develop :)

Thank you kindly!!

I can't help you with what kind of prices you can expect Matt, but if your aren't familiar already, there's three log scales commonly used. Schribner, Doyle, and international. Find out which the mill you're selling to is using. That'll help you figure out the board footage of your timber.

I think he just uses whatever haha. I’ve sold him some random fir and spruce without considering the grade.

He’s just someone in the backroads that sells the most common building materials.

I’ll have to speak to him and see what he normally pays and what he normally does with his other customers. Just thought I’d check with ya’ll to see other perspectives. He’s a little harder to talk to. Not that social either haha.

I know a local guy that buys logs for $350 / 1000 bdft delivered in the yard. Probably a good idea to deal in bdft since the quantity is pre-determined unit of measure written in a table and should be equitable to both of you. That way neither of you can really rip each other off. BTW I am also from New Brunswick:cheers:

I know a local guy that buys logs for $350 / 1000 bdft delivered in the yard. Probably a good idea to deal in bdft since the quantity is pre-determined unit of measure written in a table and should be equitable to both of you. That way neither of you can really rip each other off. BTW I am also from New Brunswick:cheers:
Wow! A NBer? May I ask whereabouts?

Thanks for your comment. If someone pays 350 per 1000 bdft, do you know what formula he used to get his numbers? Like how does he figure out how many bdft is in a particular log.

I am from Norton, between Sussex and Saint John.

I am not totally sure what he used to come up with his numbers...but i know he sells his lumber for 80 cents a bdft.

For measuring the board footage in a log they use tables like Ryan mentioned above. If you google search "New Brunswick Log Scale - Appendix M" you will find a table. To scale a log you measure the inside bark diameter at the small end of the log in inches. Then note the length. The cross reference those two numbers (the diameter and length) on the chart which will give you a fairly close approximation of the contained board footage in that log. This obviously wont take in to consideration defects in the logs ie: splits, growth defects, bends, because what you can measure and what you can cut out of it for usable lumber are two separate things.

I am from Norton, between Sussex and Saint John.

I am not totally sure what he used to come up with his numbers...but i know he sells his lumber for 80 cents a bdft.

For measuring the board footage in a log they use tables like Ryan mentioned above. If you google search "New Brunswick Log Scale - Appendix M" you will find a table. To scale a log you measure the inside bark diameter at the small end of the log in inches. Then note the length. The cross reference those two numbers (the diameter and length) on the chart which will give you a fairly close approximation of the contained board footage in that log. This obviously wont take in to consideration defects in the logs ie: splits, growth defects, bends, because what you can measure and what you can cut out of it for usable lumber are two separate things.
Right on. I’ve scaled a little bit through work but last I heard they plan on putting me through the scaling course this year. I’ll get this book or download the PDF version.

Thanks! And yeah, I’ve been near Norton when I worked a summer for JDI.

Back