Thinking out loud, "wood processor" add on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a thought of building an add on to my splitter to make it into a sort of wood processor something like this:

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...rewood-Processor-16-HP-Engine-16-GPM-Pump.axd
The problem I'm having is how to attach the saw. Anyone done this or have some close up shots of how it's done?
I have most everything I need to do it.
New 3500 lb winch, ten foot roller table conveyor, some 1/4 x 2 x 2 angle and some 2 x 2 x 1/4 tube.
My idea is to attach it to the splitter with some quick connects like trailer receiver tubes, a couple of adjustable legs on the rear. Winch up high like on the Badger, have the chunks drop onto my log lift kept at near horizontal or slightly tipped up to have them roll onto the beam.
dave

That looks like a bit slower overall procedure - he's waiting in between cuts, and the splitter is waiting in between splits. Easier on the back no doubt though.

I saw one a while back where the guy had the saw bolted to a support plate. By the looks of it the holes for the handlebar were used and a long hose clamp at the skinniest part of the trigger grip area.

If it were me I would fab up something to attach to the bar studs/nuts. Similar to how the Logosol mill attaches. Strongest point on the chainsaw and studs are already attached.

Just my 2 cents worth

I like that idea!!!!!

A little simpler than a full tilt hydraulic setup controlling both log advance and the saw also.

As mentioned it's a little slow but you sure could just plunk along with not much effort on your part. Get into a groove and I could see a lot of wood being processed.

My only thought would be to have a little more distance between the saw and splitter so you could be sawing and splitting at the same time. I could see myself tearing into the ram with the saw.

It does take a step out of handling which is a plus. The trees I harvest are not uniform in size or shape and would not fit the conveyer well or do well with a 4 way wedge. I usually only cut standing dead trees.

JT

Thanks for the input guys. I know it won't be the fastest thing out there but it should get the job done. One of my brothers uses and OWB and buys log truck loads, most around 12" diameter.
The saw won't be too close to the ram, I plan on having the lift to be the place where the cut drops onto. I mocked up most of it yesterday. I'm going with receiver type mounts and a pair of adjustable legs at the back of the rollers. I have two roller conveyors about 9' in length. I want to use it as just a splitter with capabilities of a processor. Probably won't make much headway the rest of the week but maybe this weekend.
dave

Well I spent some quality time in the garage today :) I got the front hoop built for the winch, the rear legs and the saw mount mostly done. The saw mount was actually easier than I thought it would be as the Sthil MS310 has a pretty flat bottom. The hinge was a bit of a challenge though. I put up some new shop lights this morning so I should be able to get some good pics tomorrow, I forgot as I was rushed in for dinner! LOL Sometimes I wish I didn't have the cordless phone with page option in my garage( it's detached).
I've been thinking about the ramp to get the logs up the the rollers, I think I may use some 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle and just bolt some plywood to it, if that works I can look into something heavier.
Now, my brother has a fairly large area to do firewood, I am thinking that maybe we can build some bunks for an infeed/staging bench out of some pt timbers and just back the splitter in. One of our friends just got a new tractor with forks and is leaving it at my brothers, he's in the tree biz and is using the lot for his equipment and to work up some firwood. He said we can use the tractor :)
I'm thinking that will speed things up.
dave

I've been working on this a little here and there. I tested it today on some 10' logs that I got (nice dry stuff too). I know, no pics so it didn't happen. It was only 12* and I just wanted to do some testing. All in all it worked well, the winch is slow as was expected, the logs were borderline too big, I set it up to accept an 18" diameter log, one of the logs I had to trim the base so it would fit through.
A couple things I need to address, It would have been nice for it to have been somewhere near level instead of down hill towards the splitter wedge and I need to add a roller near the saw so when cutting the last piece it would balance better. I also need to add some sort of arm to hold the log down.
One mistake I made was trying to winch them out of my dump trailer, they were stuck together and made it difficult to pull them free., next time I'll just dump them on the ground. Instead of using my tongs to pull them up the ramp I'll use some sort of lynch either chain or choker.
I think it will work well with the correct size of wood, maybe 12-14" diameter.
Stay tuned for more updates and some pics, I promise.
dave

Another machine to look at for ideas could be the Wallenstein WP830. It is similar to the Hud-Son you referenced in the first post. Mountain View equipment (formerly GIROUX BROTHERS) of Malone NY usually has one in stock to look at. I have a first gen WP 830 if you wanted to see one work, I live some what close to Massena NY.

IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0089.jpg IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0034.jpg IMG_0026.JPG I've posted these before. If you have a tractor to load a rack like you mentioned the bending over and slow winching is cut out. Once waist high and cut, stage the rounds or stop and split. I have thought and thought how to be more efficient with a cut-off saw set up but this seems to work pretty good. I would love to have a live deck to pull the logs forward. I cut the log, set the running saw down with the chain break set, stage the six cuts and roll another log forward. Do a 1/2 cord of rounds and then split. Not fancy but it flows pretty smooth.

That's a pretty neat setup sandhill. I was just talking with my son about how hard work firewood is and I think I have it down to as easy as possible outside of buying it cut, split and delivered.
I don't have my own tractor but I do have use of one when needed, it belonged to my father in law who passed away a year ago. It was left to my brother in law with the stipulation that I can use it whenever I want to. Once I get my own it will be much nicer for sure.
Saberdd, I have looked at so many processors that my eyes hurt...lol Thanks for the input.
dave

DSC00635.JPG dave_dj1, you were looking for a way to hookup a chainsaw. Well this is the way I hooked up mine. Actually two screws in the bottom of the saw where the handle hooks up. Not the one you see and two from the other part of the handle assembly are used on the side. Then just add two pillow block bearings and you're all set.

The bottom piece that is at an angle is imbedded in the slot where the bottom of the handlebar was set and screwed in. On the topmost iron part on the right there is a piece that goes to where the upper handle was and where the other two bolts are.

archertwo, thanks for posting that. I did come up with a way to attach the saw, only thing is it's vertical when not in use. I could always remodel it. I only used it twice and decided without the proper support equipment it was more of a pain than anything, it works as is great but it needs a conveyor and a tractor with a loading bunk (deck).

dave_dj1, you can go through my posts on my processor build by going to http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/archertwos-processor.113857/
You can see how I started out just wanting to make firewood loading a bit less labor intensive by adding a conveyor to my splitter and ended up with ideas and control valves and enough spare time enough to build a processor while I was at it.

Thanks RAMROD48, I can't use that exact set up as I have nothing on the right to hook it to. One of these days I will set it all up again and take some pictures.
Keep the ideas coming, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can use them.
dave

Latest posts

Back