This always makes me laugh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When I go down the list and see Recreational tree climbing I recall my activities as a kid. We played Tag in a tree. Large Willow with lots of branches. Didn't fall out too often, but in my "prime" I was fairly quick at climbing (running?) and knew plenty of shortcuts that the other kids were scared to take. Not exactly the usual activity kids got into, but we had fun.

Since then, I am a little more cautious, and the few times I have had the nerve to haul a saw up a tree really makes me edgy.

:Monkey: There needs to be kids climbing in trees with harnesses, ropes, buckstraps, etc... Could you imagine if you were back in time climbing with all sorts of gear? You would be able to experience tree climbing in a whole different way. I wish I did. I would be a totally different climber today if I knew what I do now. I have often thought of trying to set up a free tree climbing clinic for kids in my town. It would be a great P.R. thing and it would promote safe tree climbing. What do you all think?

Besides the liability thing. That could be covered with a waiver.

Over the weekend at our Utility's tree climbing comp. Rip from Arbomasters was there and had some small saddles for the kids to learn how to climb in. It's kinda funny to see a small kid with a minature work saddle on, it even had gear loops and hooks on back.

free style

No gear. Would not have used it if it were available. I have "shinnied" up 40 foot trees back in the day. The willow was relativly forgiving for this. The limbs are springy making flying leaps easy. :blob2:

Kids climbing trees

I grew up in San Diego, CA. I climbed large Eucalyptus (spelling?) frequently. One time I had the idea of getting three of my friends out on one limb. :dizzy: We all were straddling the branch and decide to see how far we could all go out on this thing. Well the diameter of the limb must have been about 20'' or so and the total length maybe at 30'. I heard a crack...tried to look back...told no one to move...SNAP!!! We fell about 10' to the ground. :blob2: The branch seporated from the trunk and fell straight down. No one got hurt because we were all on top of the branch. We got off and laughed about it. :blob2:

Back