This is why you dont use ethonal gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took out my 77 suburban 2 days ago running good till I hit a hill. Sputtered and popped all the way. Level ground ran great . So I figured vapor locking or plugged filter. Took the filter out of the carb looked good but the gas smelled like mineral spirits. Pulled a jar full and this is what was in there. I forgot that last year I took a trip to PA and got gas there and didnt put stabilizers in it I always use non ethanol in my carbed cars and equipment. . Left is ethanol right is fresh non ethonal gas
20200529_141020.jpg
Back story is I replaced the tank lines fuel pump and rebuilt the carb because the gas was 8 years old and sludge up .

I took out my 77 suburban 2 days ago running good till I hit a hill. Sputtered and popped all the way. Level ground ran great . So I figured vapor locking or plugged filter. Took the filter out of the carb looked good but the gas smelled like mineral spirits. Pulled a jar full and this is what was in there. I forgot that last year I took a trip to PA and got gas there and didnt put stabilizers in it I always use non ethanol in my carbed cars and equipment. . Left is ethanol right is fresh non ethonal gas
View attachment 832093
Back story is I replaced the tank lines fuel pump and rebuilt the carb because the gas was 8 years old and sludge up .
The one on the left will make some good parts cleaner!

I emptied gas out of a f800 that was probably 15 years old easily. 10-15 gallon or so. It was once or twice again darker then yours. Almost like mud brown. I think it was probably rusty dust mixed with gas. I didn't care. That's what filters are for, right?

Poured it in the old trusty '98 vortec v6 with 266k miles, original motor and everything on top.

No check engine light through the whole tank. I think a few times hoggin the gas petal I felt a misfire here and there.

Even hauled 4000# behind it a couples times, 100 mile trips.

Maybe carbs are just sensitive?

As far as dirt and debris, I've been bit by filters coming apart internally and flooding the carb with debris. So, on anything and everything with a carb, one filter before the lift pump on block, then two, yes, 2, one after the other just before the carb itself.

You'll be amazed how much passes through the first 2, and the 3rd one still catches something....

Excessive? Maybe. But what's $6 for some inlines VS rebuilding a carb, that'll probably need gaskets the moment you try and get to the jets? Plus time, etc etc.

I don't run hose clamps. Just tight snug barbed slip on.

We are some what corn farmers as part of our income comes from raising corn so I burn ethanol in our daily drivers to help the ethanol industry but in any of my small engines, chain saws , antique tractors and my old 64 chevy car with the original price sticker in the window only non ethanol gas is used . I have had to clean too many systems out for friends over the years that had ethanol gas setting in it.

View attachment 832093

Oxidation.

Ethanol does it/causes it fast.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

View attachment 832093
Its ok for older engines, but all new cars burn regular ethanol fuel. Some require higher grades to run proper.
Chainsaws are different, small engines can burn both.
Just keep fresh fuel in the engine and it's not a problem.
We cant even buy non ethanol gas is most countries, only ethanol products.

Its ok for older engines, but all new cars burn regular ethanol fuel. Some require higher grades to run proper.
Chainsaws are different, small engines can burn both.
Just keep fresh fuel in the engine and it's not a problem.
We cant even buy non ethanol gas is most countries, only ethanol products.
Older cars if not upgraded with the proper gaskets and hoses the ethanol turns them into mush .

I always get a laugh while visiting my buddies down at the saw shop. Customer brings in a saw that wont run. Mechanic will dump the gas in a clear plastic jug and tell the saw owner your saw wont run on buttwater. Customer with funny look on face asks whats buttwater? Mechanic says fuel tank is full of nothing but water.

On another note, I only run ethanol in all my saws. My boat gets ethanol and stabil every fill up. I don't have the problems with the ethanol gas that others seem to have. Don't know what I am doing different. I suspect that my saws, weed eater, etc, sit empty until being used and then get a fresh fillup when I use them. Other than that, I don't know what I do different.

I run run ethanol in all my stuff, the 1958 "700" Case tractor is E-85 fueled (drain fuel at end of season) the 79 dodge wont run right on anything but E-15, need the higher octane (the engine is out of 69 Fury and is a 9:1 so if you get timing where it really likes and dont run E-15 she pings bad).

I always get a laugh while visiting my buddies down at the saw shop. Customer brings in a saw that wont run. Mechanic will dump the gas in a clear plastic jug and tell the saw owner your saw wont run on buttwater. Customer with funny look on face asks whats buttwater? Mechanic says fuel tank is full of nothing but water.

On another note, I only run ethanol in all my saws. My boat gets ethanol and stabil every fill up. I don't have the problems with the ethanol gas that others seem to have. Don't know what I am doing different. I suspect that my saws, weed eater, etc, sit empty until being used and then get a fresh fillup when I use them. Other than that, I don't know what I do different.
Nothing but trouble with it in all my small engines. I have so many its hard to keep it fresh and am sick of trying!

I have said this before but I will repeat it for those not listening. I have worked in a small engine shop and 90% of the "engine" issues were fuel related. Our store policy was buy the "freshest" fuel and use fuel treatment. We sold SeaFoam and were basically in the parking lot of a high volume gas station, so I think the "store policy" was based more in sales volume and real estate prices.
That said ethanol won't hurt your stomach or colon. ( Liver and BAC percentage are a different story.) However it will very much dehydrate you. It will also dry out your rubber fuel lines and in the case of my Super 25, crack them to pieces. The same goes for the rubber seals on the fuel tank and carb. You may not notice these in the first year or two of use, but it is happening. The biggest problem with ethanol is that it attracts water. Then when the fuel oxidizes it sets up as varnish and water. Ethanol also oxidizes in at little as 2 weeks. Sure your car burns a tank of gas in under a week if you drive it everyday, but my chainsaw gas and lawnmower have been sitting in the shed for six months.
Ethanol also has less power per gallon than gasoline. Ethanol is subsidised by the government to make it cheaper, but it is actually quite a bit more expensive. Producing ethanol is actually a energy negative process. In other words is cost more energy to make ethanol than you achieve by using ethanol. It is a bad deal all the way around.

I have said this before but I will repeat it for those not listening. I have worked in a small engine shop and 90% of the "engine" issues were fuel related. Our store policy was buy the "freshest" fuel and use fuel treatment. We sold SeaFoam and were basically in the parking lot of a high volume gas station, so I think the "store policy" was based more in sales volume and real estate prices.
That said ethanol won't hurt your stomach or colon. ( Liver and BAC percentage are a different story.) However it will very much dehydrate you. It will also dry out your rubber fuel lines and in the case of my Super 25, crack them to pieces. The same goes for the rubber seals on the fuel tank and carb. You may not notice these in the first year or two of use, but it is happening. The biggest problem with ethanol is that it attracts water. Then when the fuel oxidizes it sets up as varnish and water. Ethanol also oxidizes in at little as 2 weeks. Sure your car burns a tank of gas in under a week if you drive it everyday, but my chainsaw gas and lawnmower have been sitting in the shed for six months.
Ethanol also has less power per gallon than gasoline. Ethanol is subsidised by the government to make it cheaper, but it is actually quite a bit more expensive. Producing ethanol is actually a energy negative process. In other words is cost more energy to make ethanol than you achieve by using ethanol. It is a bad deal all the way around.
Good post I concur it crap!

Never had a problem with gasoline of either type in anything I've had. My stuff never set long enough to be a problem. I do run the non stuff these days in my small engines simply because it's available.

Back